USC Class of 2027 — Regular & Early Action Decisions

I would think that coming from a competitive school in the Bay area, it’s expected to show scores. Unless he has something very compelling about his application that really stands out and would make USC want him, you sould submit the scores. But maybe somewhere in the application (or in Guidance letter) it can be noted that 2 attempts to retake it were cancelled?

USC is a reach in itself. Expecting merit I think will be really unlikely.

Good idea to ask the guidance counselor to mention that test dates were cancelled. Thanks!

Yes, we know that USC is a reach, and it is unlikely that he would receive merit. We know that they also reject students with perfect GPA and perfect scores, too, and it is only becoming more competitive each year. He just likes the school very much and wants to give it a try. He has a balanced list and a safety school that he would be happy to attend, so no matter what happens, he will be fine!

3 Likes

Good for you - he should certainly go for it! There are plenty of applicants that may not have the perfect scores but have such an interesting story to tell and clearly convey what they will bring to enhance their class at USC.

My neighbor’s daughter has been told over and over by their college consultant (being paid large bucks) that with her “lowly” 3.8 uw gpa that she has no chance at USC. Didn’t help her beyond saying without a 4.0, she is out. Ahhhhhh! I can’t imagine telling a student not to try like this counselor has been. Perhaps this counselor understands the effort and work and customization involved to convey to a highly selective school that a student is a great choice, and doesn’t want take the time to guide this student in the process. Luckily, she has me for a neighbor, wink wink.

No guarantees of course, but regardless of the outcome, she will have tried, rather than wonder what may have been.

5 Likes

The USC Viterbi-specific supplemental questions required a lot of thinking for my son. He was surprised to see those extra questions pop up after he selected his major in the common app. But on the other hand, the specificity of the major-related questions really helped him to clarify his thinking about his major and goals in engineering, and this has had a positive effect on all of his other applications, too.

3 Likes

Did anyone else receive a letter from the office of admissions this week saying your “many high school achievements” may make you a “strong candidate” for USC and encouraging you to apply? Is this their standard mailer?

@CADREAMIN @lkg4answers @WWWard We were told the same from our counselor about my S23’s chances with a 3.8 uw GPA. Ugh!

He has several majors in Marshall and Dornsife that he loves. He is trying to narrow it down to the 2 to put on the application. We were going to put a major in Marshall as his first choice and then a Dornsife major as his second choice. We were advised not to apply to Marshall with his GPA and to apply to 2 Dornsife majors.

How does the review process work when applying? Is there a benefit to apply to 2 different schools, like Marshall & Dornsife? Or is it purely major dependent? If Dornsife passed on you with the first major, would they review you for a different major?

Basically, applicants to USC are being evaluated on 2-3 fronts… by the university overall and by the individual School or Schools within USC that represent the first and second choice majors selected. If the School or Schools want an applicant, but USC overall is reluctant, that School may have to fight for an applicant. That scenario is usually more common in the creative and performance Schools. The # that they can do so for in an individual cycle is likely very limited… so it is usually the other way around.

If USC and both programs want the applicant, he/she will be admitted and to their first choice major. If USC and only the second choice want the applicant, he/she will be admitted and to their second choice major. How often it happens likely just comes down to the combination that the applicant listed. I presume it happens rather often.

Based on your choices, it may simply depend on the #s admitted to each program and how those programs rank you versus other applicants they want. That is also how Spring admits emerge. If USC wants to admit you and so does a program, but there aren’t quite enough spots available… but spots are available for the Spring… an offer of admission starting in the Spring may be forthcoming. It just comes down to how they rank you specifically for that program and where that ranking fits into the # of spots available for the Fall vs the Spring.

USC does also admit a good # of students each cycle as undecided. My younger daughter was one of them. And during orientation, she was put into and met a group similarly admitted. In her case, both of her major choices were highly competitive SCA majors. Both passed on her, but USC saw fit to admit her Undeclared. She enrolled anyhow and applied for an internal transfer into SCA over the summer in July and was admitted to her SCA major by October. Generally speaking, it is far less competitive trying to internally transfer – even into the most competitive programs - versus applying originally as a high school senior. So I would not let getting admitted undeclared scare you off if USC remains your top choice.

Dornsife is easier to gain admission to than Marshall, albeit just gaining admission to USC at all is still a major accomplishment these days. As I understand it, the most competitive schools, like Marshall, will not consider you just as a second choice. Dornsife would however. If your main aim is to just gain admission to USC overall, you may want to consider making both options Dornsife. You can always attempt to internally transfer into Marshall thereafter.

Good Luck…

2 Likes

@WWWard Thanks for the info. Very insightful.

You’re welcome.

1 Like

@CADREAMIN Attended a “USC Discover” session. It was very well organized and very well run/informative. Very impressive. Met the AO - friendly and very approachable!

1 Like

Kudos to meeting the AO - it really is a good connection to make and a great reason to attend these events. While not logging demonstrated interest, this is exactly the “demonstrated interest” I was referring to - making a connection with someone there in a conversation. They likely remember the face and converstation when the application reaches them.

Little late to the party but agree with what @wwward said. Marshall is highly competitive to get into whether as a freshman and again as an internal transfer. Does his application reflect strength in a particular area outside of the regular academic marks? Was he involved in things that are very business oriented or something more in an area that would be better reflected in a Dornsife major? What majors would he apply to there?

I see great success when an application conveys an overall theme that ties in with what they want to do and there is a major that coincides with those things. That isn’t always attainable, but sometimes there is a flow to things they have done and are interested in that make the pursuit of a certain major a bit more obvious to admissions. Showing them passion/strong interest is a good thing.

Agree.
We (parents) accompanied our daughter but were listeners. We let our daughter ask questions/interact. We all liked the presentations, much better than other college presentations that we have attended in the past. The presentation was divided into 2 parts - general and then school specific held in different conference rooms (we attended Marshal). Next day, the AO was at school too.

1 Like

Any advice on the ever-troublesome test scores decision: submit or not? Decent resume outside of a 1410 on the SAT. UW 3.95, (straight A’s in 10th, 11th and first quarter of 12th) 11 APs, AP Scholar, Hispanic Recognition, head of major school organization with national awards, lots of community service, including same international service project every year through all of high school, Varsity athlete-qualified for Nationals, all the usual honor socities and ECs. While USC’s middle 50th range for fall 2021 admits (can not find any official release of fall 2022 numbers) is 1410-1540, I do not see a single person here saying they even submitted a score that low much less got in. Really struggling with what to do. Thanks for any thoughts!

1 Like

As far as USC Marshall School of Business goes I would submit if SAT score > 1430…my opinion. The overall stats are impressive and I do not think the SAT score will give you a leg up.

Thanks for the quick response. First choice is Marshall with second being Annenberg. Funny, I had the same gut feeling with the 1430 being the cut-off to submit, at least in my mind. The affirmation is helpful so thanks again!

1 Like

Agreed! I enjoyed the session as well

Are any of your daughters in Marshall by chance? I am applying early action to USC Marshall, so I’m just wondering!

1 Like

@WWWard & @CADREAMIN Thank you both for your thoughtful responses.

Undecided is something to consider. We are giving that thought.

His resume supports Marshall and also a couple of majors in Dornsife.

We are going to Discover USC this weekend. We will see what we can learn!

You’re welcome. Without it being forced, if it makes sense, try to connect with someone there - your advisor would be great if there. He should have a question ready for them incase he has (or makes) the chance to ask one. I hope you enjoy Discover!

4 Likes