USC full tuition vs. Boston University full scholarship [transfer from UMass Lowell]

Oh right…that’s even worse.

Here is a thought…would you rather live with your family while attending college…or would you rather do so because you will be paying $3000 a month at least in loan payments when you graduate?

1 Like

A. who is going to lend you that much money ? Not the feds - you can get $27k for four years.

And no bank will loan based on your confidence

As for your belief of SC, you are better than their PR dept. hmmmm. I don’t think you are living in the real world.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Jobs today are found on line - via handshake, indeed, LinkedIn. My kid had 20 interviews this fall at a no name school and 5 strong offers.

Bu and SC are both solid in engineering and finance.

You can’t go to SC unless your parents are co signing loans.

This is almost like a fake thread. It’s just not real.

3 Likes

You are either making this story up or just extremely naive.

4 Likes
  1. waiting on appeal decision
  2. I might be able to get it funded from a mentor of mine if it had to came down to it
  3. Sure, you can find a job. But it is FANG in SV? Is it JPM, GS, MS in NYC? Is it MBB?
    Point is, was it the best of the best, or could your kid have done better? Maybe going to a better school could’ve led him or her to getting the other 15 jobs he or she didn’t get

In what sense?

There is a reason kids at princeton pay more than $10,000 to join eating clubs. Opportunity and network is everything.

I have worked at top consulting firms and have recruited kids out of undergrad for analyst roles. And I can tell you, you are categorically wrong and if I had an applicant who made the choice you are proposing I would question their business acumen.

Your odds are practically the same from both and spending 200k more is not going to improve your chances much.

which top consulting firms?

I will leave it to your imagination. No one here needs to convince you beyond providing honest advice. You are welcome to take or leave it.

1 Like

You are very unrealistic. You are joining corporate boards and are just starting college.

Best of luck.

But you, not your school will make your success. For the record, I don’t know what would have happened but my son emailed Jane street on the advice of someone here and was sent their test to complete.

Goldman hires at Elon. MBB at Arizona state. This isn’t 1988 anymore.

Best of luck.

3 Likes

Correlation vs. causation

Regardless, I will accept both of your “best of luck” wishes and nudge you towards analyzing some data. I suggest starting your research by trying to crack down why Princeton and Harvard students are willing to pay more than 10k annually to join exclusive student clubs.

You might start with the net worth of families who send their kids to those schools. Can you afford a dining club ? Ps if you said Princeton your argument would be ‘less silly.’ But you said USC- a fine school and a BU equivalent.

As noted best of luck.

1 Like

I consider BU and USC to be peer schools. Both are very good. BU is also ABET accredited for ME (I did not check USC because it is not affordable for you).

You cannot borrow $100,000 per year. I do not know whether your parents would be capable of borrowing $100,000 per year, but if they cannot just pay it then I would question whether they would be given the loans. It is possible to get part way through a degree and discover that you just cannot borrow enough money to complete your degree and graduate.

I got my master’s degree at Stanford. The students in the program had come from a very, very, very wide range of universities. It was hard to find any school that had sent two students to the program, with one exception that was lower ranked overall than either BU or USC (and them sending several students to the same master’s program was probably a coincidence at the time). What the students all had in common was that they had done very well wherever they had gotten their bachelor’s degree, and also most had very good work / research experience.

And BU is a very good university. My general knock on BU is that it can be very expensive, but given the scholarship that you have been offered this does not apply to you.

If you do not want to live at home and commute for your full time at BU then you can live in a dorm at BU for one year for a lot less than $100,000. If you are living on campus, it will feel like an entirely different world compared to living at home regardless of whether home is 1 mile or 12,000 miles away. However, if home is within a few hours drive, then help will be close by if you need it (either flu or a bad romantic breakup can happen to a university student).

2 Likes

This is my last comment - you are not comparing BU vs Harvard/Princeton. You are comparing BU vs. USC which would be an even comparison without $$$ in the picture. There is no scenario in which the USC degree is worth 300k more especially when it will be funded by loans in a high interest rate environment.

I went to Ross and I went back to recruit analysts for a few years but I’m now out of that game with fully grown kids in college. Which is why I’m on this site. Back when I was recruiting, I checked notes frequently with other principals and USC wasn’t considered as a better school relative to BU. Also when we recruited at USC, the focus was more on hiring Marshall kids. Not ME kids.

At the end of the day, I think the consensus here is that you are making an irrational decision at your parent’s expense.

1 Like

It’s going to take you a lot longer to have “accumulated some capital” and reach your “ultimate goal” if you start your career $300K in debt.

I don’t always agree with those who advise posters to take the cheaper option if schools, but in this case you would be crazy to choose USC.

I remember a similar post several months ago. Were you previously deciding between transferring BU for sophomore year, applying to more selective schools and transferring junior year, or even attempting a second transfer?

I have two degrees from USC, one from the business school. Go to BU.

2 Likes

not me, no. Would that be a good idea?

No, not at all! But it was a similar scenario so I was wondering if you were the same person.

Just curious, why would it be a bad idea if it was a better school but equally as affordable?

It’s a similar scenario…the only real difference is that it was UMass Boston instead of Lowell. You will see that the advice was similar.

The other poster is also a MechE major, so forgive my confusion.

Are you asking why transferring twice would be a bad idea? There are many, many reasons why it’s a bad idea, but here would be one: While it is true that MBBs have certain target schools, you seem to not appreciate what it takes to get an interview with them. There are many, many students at these target schools each who don’t even get past the resume screen. These firms want to see an interesting background, recruit a diversity of thinking, and find analysts who have distinguished themselves. It’s very difficult to get traction, make an impact, and really find a niche if you are at 3 different schools in 3 or 4 years.

1 Like