UT Austin class of 2026 admissions

Some say zero and some say 1/3 chance. I really don’t know what to believe. I do know people that have transferred in from outside of UT CS successfully from community college, so there is definitely space. UT doesn’t nail admissions 100% and there will be students that change their major from CS to something else, leaving space available.

Is living off campus for one year the only requirement for qualifying for in state tuition?

Its way more complicated than that - you have to own and pay property taxes to qualify (or other reasons listed on website).

1 Like

Texas Residency | Undergraduate Admissions | The University of Texas at Austin (utexas.edu)

My DS will be an business major in the Fall. We are OOS. The housing choices are confusing since we haven’t had any exposure to them. He was told that the closest dorms to McCombs are:
Jester, Morehill, Prather, Breckenridge, Roberts, San Jac.

I have seen a bit about the dorms on here but we are really having a tough time figuring out how to rank his preferences… He seems fine with the communal bathrooms since someone else will clean it!

Anything else we should consider? Also, how do roommates get selected?

Thanks for your insights!

If he plans to go through fraternity recruitment, consider the just off-campus properties that function as UT housing that are in West Campus: the Castilian and Callaway. Castilian is comparably priced to on campus proper housing.

Even if he isn’t interested in bring involved in Greek life, they are still worth checking out.

There are lots of dorm videos (including ones that declare the best or worse) on YouTube - just keep in mind that they are all someone’s personal opinion. They do provide a good overview of the options, though. She has been told about the off-campus options if she chooses to rush as well, but we have been warned by other OOS UT students that coming from OOS, it is better to live in UT housing vs private because so many of the Texas students already have a “crew” from their HS/area and the dorms tend to provide more opportunities to mix with others who are also trying to find their people. I am not sure how they ultimately select roommates if you don’t enter with one, but my D has been chatting with some other girls she has connected with on social media in hopes of finding a roommate to enter the process with (assuming she chooses UT). Good Luck to your son!

Please review the link provided by @Ninao.

The Daily Texan also had a good piece two years ago regarding that

Keep freshmen year workload to minimum and work is the common path. It can be rewarding.

2 Likes

Thanks, but this is stressful. better pay OOS tuition for my son so that he could focus on CS.

There are paths that would not require any significant time during the school year.
Establishing Texas Residency as an Out-of-State (OOS) UT-Austin Student — Tex Admissions

Does anyone know when UT will announce the Financial Awards?
Also, is it better to wait to accept admissions till they announce the awards
OR
Should we accept ASAP so that my daughter will be considered for a financial award.

She will 99.99% go to UT but we are still on the fence as we don’t know now the above works and hence have not accepted.

Under the Financial Aid Tab, it currently says the following:

Your file is being processed.

Please check back soon or contact Texas One Stop at [onestop@utexas.edu]

On another page, they say that they will let us know by 22nd March and 29th March 2021 (not 2022)

@Acc71 as for roommate selection on campus, your student will complete a questionnaire with questions such as how neat they keep their room, how many hours they will study, when they typically wake up and go to sleep. Then they will be able to see other students that have the same profile. They can reach out via the portal to start a conversation for potential match. Or they can just accept “potluck” assignment.

1 Like

Yes you can wait till you find more about Financial Aid, the year or date was mixed up sometimes but majority of Financial Aid goes out between now and end of April.

1 Like

I see housing contracts begin March 1st.

does anyone know when appeals come out?

3 Likes

Hubby and son will be visiting UT for an Engineering Info session this week and will do a self-guided tour (guided tours were already full for those dates). Any advice on places/restaurants to visit that would be most representative of life as a UT Engineer student? TIA!

Hi! I was wondering if you got your major at UT? Did you happen to get into business by any chance? I was also wondering if you’d gotten into A&M?

I’ve been admitted to both and have submitted my application months ago. I had some questions I’d wanted to ask you if you got into Mays Business School at TAMU if you wouldn’t mind.

Thanks!

1 Like

Has anyone heard about Financial Aid yet?
I thought it was going to come out today (15th March 2022)

1 Like

Have not received Financial Aid notification yet.

By the way, this week is Spring Break for UT.

1 Like