UW Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Another question. All the public universities in Oregon have recently announced plans to resume largely on-campus instruction for fall 2021. The UO came out first with their announcement. And then OSU, PSU, and some other smaller schools quickly followed suit a day or so later, not wanting to be caught flat footed I guess. They basically stated that universal vaccine availability by summer and the trajectory of the pandemic means they believe they can safely re-open all campus activities.

Has anyone heard anything about UW’s plans for in-person instruction next fall? I’ve been trying to follow the UW news but I haven’t seen any similar announcements from UW or any of the other public universities in WA.

I’d be hard pressed to send my daughter to virtual learning at UW when other universities are offering 100% in-person experiences.

Thanks. They really bury that information deep inside FAQs instead of putting it into front page news releases like other schools.

1 Like

I know it is ahead of game but if you wonder the waitlist process and chance in previous year, here you go

Thank you for applying to the University of Washington. We received more than 48,000 applications for an expected entering class of 7,000, making the selection process very challenging.

So, does this mean their acceptance rate will be much lower than it normally is?

Guys, I know this may sound very cliche but Please calm down. The result will come out eventually. No need to panic. I’m not an expert but after hearing back from some schools I figured that I was panicking for no reason at all.
All the best!

1 Like

i dont think it will be much lower because they got around 43k last year, but it will be lower of course

1 Like

Yes, but not a lot. Still above 50%, haven’t calculated exactly.

1 Like

48,000 applicants is about a 10% increase over the 43,700 that applied last year. So, theoretically it might be about 10% more difficult to get admitted this year than last. In 2020 the in-state acceptance rate was about 63%. A 10% reduction would drop it to about 57%.

Probably not surprising as I expect quite a number of students deferred for fall 2020 when it became clear it was going to be all virtual and re-applied for 2021. So this year’s applicants are also probably competing with some of last year’s HS grads who deferred for a year.

In previous years over 2x as many students from out of state applied as in-state applicants and the great majority of them were probably using UW as a safety school. That is what happens with the coalition and common apps when applying to 10 or 20 schools is trivially easy.

1 Like

UW must admit about 24K students to yield 7,000 who enroll. They assume 29% of those admitted will actually enroll.

So, if 7,000 is the constant then:
24K admitted divided by total applicants is the acceptance rate.

24K/48K applicants = 50% acceptance rate

Yes, but it doesn’t work like that. UW admits three separate cohorts of students, in-state, out of state, and international. Each cohort has different acceptance rates. The in-state rate is much higher than the other two. There isn’t one single acceptance rate that applies to all 48K applicants. See last year’s numbers:

2020 UW Freshmen by the numbers

If an applicant is confident in top 40%, then there is no difference regardless of cohort.

Well sure. If you are confident you are in the top 40%. Are you? Are you positive you know the exact algorithm that the UW uses for admissions?

But the cohort thing is real. The UW doesn’t just admit everyone equally from a common pool. They aim to achieve a certain level of in-state enrollment. Imagine the scandal if they just had one single enrollment pool and it turned out that only 25% of incoming freshmen were in-state students and 75% were out of state (mostly Californians) and international. it would be front-page headlines level scandal.

I know the cohort thing is real. I meant if one is confident, it doesn’t matter which cohort he/she is in, he/she can sleep well. 67% 50% does not make a different.
And no algorithm is designed to single out or to target particular applicant, I welcome any algorithm.

The thing is the 40% percent in previous years is the combination of Standardized test score + GPA, while this year is GPA only. Kids from competitive schools would clearly be at disadvantage. It’d be even more interesting to see what happens next year when a lot of students’ GPA is based on 3 semesters of distance learning, with LOR from counselor and teachers that are “virtual”.

I agree. But test optional is not a new thing. If U of Chicago knows how the choose the right candidates, I am sure UW is not too off.
Without standardized score, students who took rigorous courses with high GPA still have the edge for public universities. Then one needs to have good essay, LOR, EC etc. I know all are subjective and everyone thought they have a good one, 8/10, 9/10 kind of self-evaluation.
One thing to boost confident. If one is accepted by some other good schools in EA round. Then you have a better feeling. Of course, there is no guarantee that he/she would get in UW. I just hope people to be calm for another week and don’t need to lose sleep if he/she understands where he/she stands in this process.

Thanks. My math is correct based on the “total” applicant pool. UW may have different rates for OOS, IS and OTHER but the overall blended acceptance would be about 50%.

Kids from school already have graduates who went to UW is helpful. AO is familiar with the quality of those students. This applies to lot of colleges I believe.

Kids from competitive high school may not be in disadvantage as their HS send graduates to that college every year in past. If your kid is from those HS, you can sleep well, don’t need to worry :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think the acceptance rate will be much lower. Students applied to a lot more colleges this year. I believe the total number of students is about the same or even less. In our daughter’s high school, the number of students applying to top colleges go up 10 to 50%.

1 Like

I attended a virtual presentation last spring conducted by UW Admissons, including the Director. They were asked specifically about the effect of 2020 gap years on 2021 applicants’ available spots/chances. The answer was quite simply, none, as they don’t grant gap years except in extreme cases. This is not a new policy, and they didn’t change it for COVID.

1 Like