UW Madison Class of 2027 Official Thread

Where is this 20% data coming from? Wisconsin’s common data set indicates only 11 and 14 have come off the waitlist in the last two years.

3 Likes

Accepted from OOS after early action deferral for Computer Engineering. On Wisconsin.

4 Likes

Really? Oh no. They said in their letter.

1 Like

Do you know how many they waitlist? Like 10000? I remember u Michigan waitlist a huge number.

4 Likes

Less and less come off waitlist as UWs yield has been going up last two years.

People for sure hear as late as July. Have seen people accept other schools, do their deposits and then give up that money if Madison takes them.

It is getting ridiculous … not sure what they are looking for when see some if these stats people are posting - it’s like Michigan …

4 Likes

Same. Mine is on a band trip and won’t be home until tomorrow night!

1 Like

Daughter flat-out rejected. She is in hysterical tears right now. Inconsolable and hiding in her room. :sob:Third rejection of the day, and her best shot at a T50 school. I’m so upset, and I don’t know what to do. Any advice is much appreciated.

2 Likes

Good luck!

I don’t have all the answers yet maybe share how unique this year is - that it isn’t her. They had more commit in last two years which beyond taxed the system so they accepted less this year. Share the crazy stats seeing on this page - seriously how is a 35 ACT, school president, accepted everywhere else, not accepted? Every year there are always some you can’t explain yet this year seems terrible - The NY Times ran an article and found out UW deferred 17k EA. The school called the paper back and asked them not to publish it but the writer basically contested it saying they weren’t being transparent with their applicants.

So hard …

3 Likes

Accepted RD
OOS: NJ
Chemical Engineering
3.9GPA UW
Many AP in science and math

1 Like

Hug her. Just be there for her. This process is hard. So hard. I’m so sorry.

7 Likes

Oh I’m so sorry for your daughter. Everything looks better in the morning, a good sleep will help and this will be a growth experience for sure - hard to see it now but eventually it will make sense. I truly believe Wisconsin was this year’s “hot” school and as a result had a huge number of applications - we kept hearing more than once that Wisconsin is the “new Michigan”, whatever that means - but being from the southeast he really wanted a competitive big 10 or comparable large school. He was accepted to Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State, Illinois, Georgia - all as an out of state kid and ALL with merit $$, several with honors college. Rejected at Wisconsin . So Wisconsin was just super hard this year for OOS, and wasn’t meant to be for him. He’s an intended biology major. It’s not about the student, it’s about bad timing for our kids and a crummy situation. Things have a way of working out - I’ve been through this with my other kids and they ended up loving their school even if it wasn’t their first choice- they say now “I can’t imagine going anywhere else!” The same will be true for her, although she won’t be able to recognize that for a while. Let her grieve and then let her make another choice and embrace all that there is to experience in a “maybe not what I thought I’d be but still pretty great” college. Hang in there!

7 Likes

Son was waitlisted. OOS. He isn’t upset because he got into his top school. But sad to hear of those getting denied who were really counting on this one. Like everyone says…it all works out the way it should. Best of luck to all who are still waiting!

2 Likes

Wait listed :cry:

Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice and support. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

I have a current freshman. He learned in November he couldn’t get housing for next year. They way over admitted the last couple of years. I doubt anyone after the housing deadline will get housing.

Humm… early action, deferred, now waitlisted… Not sure what to think. If someone was deferred out of regular decision, I wonder how this compares to someone being deferred from early action, and now waitlisted in regular decision🙃

2 Likes

That should be illegal omg. idk why they need to keep people waiting so dang long