UW-Madison Fall 2016 Decisions

@chicagoprt Does it really matter though? Once on campus the only difference between in state and out of state are the tuition rates. Why does having to wait until the January 31, affect anything? I would hope that students were not waiting for this decision to apply to more schools, that would just be silly. In the end, they will admit some people, postpone some people, and deny some people. The timing of which doesn’t really matter, and so far they have not broken any promises. Best of luck to your child!

50% postponed seems very high. Does anyone know what percentage of applicants usually apply before the Nov. 2 deadline?

@chicagoprt, I am from IL as well. Wisconsin shows that decisions will be released by the end of Jan. If we find out a yes/no decision today, then they have delivered on their dates with no real red flags. They will still beat U of I by six days. I suspect that they have some required numbers they have to match both for Wisconsin students and for their reciprocity agreement with MN so I can see them filling those boxes first.

How is a second class student treated? What would that involve?

You cannot tell by looking at a student what state or country she is from - so no, no one is treated differently by other students or faculty or the janitor cleaning the bathroom in her dorm or the student worker serving her food in the dining hall just because she is not from Wisconsin.

I find it funny how they make OOS students wait so long, and we pay DOUBLE what an in-state or Minnesota student pays. (45k!) I could just go to a private school instead…

@caliapplicant “I find it funny how they make OOS students wait so long, and we pay DOUBLE what an in-state or Minnesota student pays. (45k!) I could just go to a private school instead…”

True, but that paying a lot more for OOS is nothing that is specific to Wisconsin. It works that way in every state.

@Much2learn I know, but why do we have to wait extremely long? In-states found out almost a month ago They promised decisions “all throughout the weekend” and yet nothing was posted yesterday. I applied to 7 EA schools and I have heard back from every one as of three weeks ago, except Wisconsin.

@caliapplicant There are many other state schools that won’t respond for months even! It isn’t fair to say that Wisconsin takes forever. Besides, there is a reason in state is cheaper: TAXES! Besides, Madison is a top notch school, you make it sound as though every private institution is better. UIUC doesn’t get back until this Friday. Heck Washington-Seattle doesn’t get back until the end of March. You’ll find out eventually and everything will work out. Be thankful they take time to get everything done right, rather than rushing decisions. Best of luck!

then do it all at the same time

Would they have let us know by now if they were not going to release the decisions by today?

@chicagoprt The admissions processes are separate though so they may as well do one of them, release the decisions, and then move on to the next section.

As the decisions come in today, please remember to post your stats along with your decision. At a minimum:
the state you are from
GPA
ACT/SAT score

Parent of a current UW Madison junior. Currently have a freshman at another OOS big university. we live in IL. This time last year I was on pins and needles to see if my youngest would join older sibling at Madison. This is what transpired LAST year:
Received decision of Postponed on Jan 27 – will let us know by end of March.
My kid updated file with first semester grades, addt’l recommendation letter.
End of March my kid was WAITLISTED. “We will do our best to let you know by June” click button if you wish to be put on WAITLIST (which we did)
Then early May (after all those kids that had UW Madison as a safety turned them down by the May 1 deadline) my kid gets a call from Admisson Office. “We are accepting you, do you want a letter?”

Sure. Receive acceptance letter via email portal May 14.

sorry…forgot to add that when my kid got the UW Madison acceptance letter…there was a 3 day deadline to reply.

@leoniehill so after all that your kid didn’t end up going to Wisconsin?

@leoniehill Did that come with any information about financial aid? That is going to be a pretty big factor in some students’ decisions.

Whoa.
Thank you for sharing that leoniehill

Honestly…piss poor job by UW. As others mentioned worst job of any school offeringEA. Completely turned me off by it as it reflects on administration. Poor communication coupled with misinformation makes you wonder who and how decisions at top get made. Good luck to all but if this didn’t make you think twice about school then maybe it is right place for you.

@Rustythekid I don’t understand what you are referring to. They stated from the start by the end of January, and they are yet to break that “promise”

Her first choice was really the school she is at now. But felt like we wanted her at UW. Only 3 hours from home versus where she is now – far and a plane ride, The UW situation turned her off and no matter what you say about what a great school UW is – she wanted the school that really wanted her.