UW-Madison Fall 2016 Decisions

@chicagoprt what makes you so confident that we will hear by 8 est?

Almost time!

@chicagoprt Isn’t that really true in life? People make decisions about us? We live with them. We move forward with those decisions. If we regret too much we never move forward. Wish you/your student best of luck in this process.

@MIBadger I sure hope so, but who knows… Just trying to focus on homework to take my mind off of the decision. Good luck!

What time are they supposedly releasing decisions at? IL resident, have not heard anything.

@BHS2020 The general assumption has been around 7:00 CST, but this year is all but regular so who knows.

i am not confident at all. That is just how they could make it transparent. the committee ought to think about the old adage, " you only have one chance to make a first impression".

Wisconsin-Madison previously capped out of state enrollment at 27.5%. That cap was lifted, but the university must guarantee it the incoming freshman class enrolls at least 3,600 Wisconsin residents.

As for how other schools handle admissions - many schools release decisions on a single date, and there are many large schools which have a rolling type process as well - that do not follow a first in-first out process. My kids have been through a few of them. The best way to keep ourselves from going crazy is to simply focus on the last possible notification date.

BTW - there are schools that miss their published date, and others that change the date during the process. We have endured both these situations during this decision season.

If it wasn’t for this site, I would think there was a mistake with son’s application. I wonder how many others are out there who are thinking the same thing? I agree, it’s not necessary for them to wait this long on a sunday night to release decisions.

For those of you who do not have homework to finish tonight, the Washington Post has a front page article today about “A shift to out-of-state students at top colleges” and focuses on America’s most prominent public universities.

Also, a lot of mention of UW in Nick Anderson’s lead-in piece online: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/01/30/is-it-an-advantage-or-a-disadvantage-to-be-an-out-of-state-applicant-to-a-state-school/

Here are 2015 admission rates from several:
•University of California at Berkeley: The in-state admission rate is 19 percent and the out-of-state rate is 14 percent.
•UCLA: The in-state rate is 16 percent and the out-of-state rate is 19 percent.
•University of Virginia: The in-state rate is 44 percent percent and the out-of-state rate is 24 percent.
•University of Wisconsin at Madison: The in-state rate is 67 percent and the out-of-state rate is 43 percent.
•University of Maryland: The in-state rate is 46 percent and the out-of-state rate is 43 percent.
•University of Alabama: The in-state rate is 59 percent and the out-of-state rate is 53 percent.

And then…to have 50% postponed? It seems a tad bit rude.

@d101parent How is that rude? Is it rude that ivy league schools reject 90% of applicants? I think it is nice for them to give so many students a second chance, where other schools may have just rejected them. Although it may be frustrating to wait, the patience may get them into a top university.

I do not believe there is any reliable source for the claim that 50% of candidates are postponed.

There are plenty of schools which postpone (or defer, if they use that term) EA candidates to the RD process. This happens at most schools which have an EA process. One exception is the University of Maryland - College Park, which will admit fall, admit spring or deny admission. They do not postpone/defer anybody.

Appreciating that students want to hear, and that many did not expect to wait until the final day, but there is nothing nefarious going on here.

For those wondering UW-Madison Admissions just tweeted that everyone who applied by 11/2 will hear back tonight!
https://twitter.com/UWAdmissions/status/693942273474584576

Yay!!! Thanks @CollegeMan91.

fyi- I purposely changed it to heard as in hearing about the decision.

I know they are still within their originally stated time frame and have never wavered from that, but I can’t help but find it irritating that they wait until the last possible minute on a Sunday night.

In contrast, University of Maryland said that it would release its EA decisions “by 2/1”, and ended up releasing the decisions on Friday (1/29), a little before 5 pm

UW Admissions has again tweeted that all who applied by 11/2 will receive a decision (admit, postpone, deny) tonight.

What are my chances as an OOS applicant with a 31 act, 3.6 UW

@anxsparent Wow a whole two days before the deadline! For real though, does it really matter? Everyone who was freaking out last night is fine today.