UW-Madison Fall 2016 Decisions

Honors courses can be more intellectually satisfying for some students- one reason to look at them from day one. Even if you do not finish the requirements for an Honors degree you can take some courses. Look at it now as being able to take some courses not available to the rest of the students, being in Honors discussions et al. Do not worry about any need to do all the requirements- you can drop in/out of the program. Starting now gives you courses plus other amenities- see the website. btw- preengineering students will be in L&S so starting with its program and getting its advantages as a freshman can be a good thing. Being in the Honors program does not obligate you to take any Honors courses in any semester either (but waiting too many semesters may make it difficult to finish degree requirements).

Agree with @wis75 – there are lots of perks of doing Honors, even if one does not complete for formal requirements for graduating with “Honors in the Liberal Arts” which is the designation for students completing all the Honors curriculum requirements.

My student has really enjoyed the Honors discussion sections in larger classes, because the Honors discussion is led by the prof teaching the class, rather than a TA (who is a Ph.D. student in that department). That has allowed him to develop some great relationships with amazing faculty, who are writing recommendations etc. for him.

FYI
Son accepted

Out-of-State
ACT: 34
National Merit: Letter of Commendation
AP: 7 classes
GPA: 3.9 (unweighted)
Soccer (Varsity), Music (Band, Jazz, Pit), . . .
Great Letters of Rec.

In my decision letter it says that I was accepted into the College of Engineering so does that mean engineering is a direct admit program? or am I totally misunderstanding what direct admit is…

You were likely admitted to general engineering. You have to apply after fulfilling prerequisites to a specific engineering field. Check out the School of Engineering website for more details.

Been busy for school, haven’t have time to update!

Accepted on 01/30

SAT: 1940 (I know my scores are not high…)
Class rank: N/A
GPA: N/A
ECs: not many but hard to get in
One letter of recommendation and interesting essays
btw I’m a legacy student (both parents) so I don’t know if that helped
From Hong Kong

@tbc1963 Thanks a lot mate

Posted this in the “postponed question” thread, but I thought I would post it here also:

FYI - My son, who was postponed, received a notification last night in his student portal regarding how to report student grades. I’m assuming that all postponed students received this yesterday. So, if you were waiting for that, you may want to go check out your student portal.

Thank BrewCrew82. I really appreciate that info. Did he also receive an email with instructions? My son has another letter of recommendation that he’d like to include, since he only submitted one witht he original application.

When do RD decisions come out?

@msd228 my son was accepted and also received the email for 7th semester grades. Im not sure why.

@d101parent I believe many colleges do this even for accepted students as they want to confirm that the student is not just “mailing in” their senior year. They will also ask for final transcripts when the school year is done. I think it’s very rare, but a student’s acceptance can be rescinded based on their senior year.

For L&S Honors Program it says everyone will be sent a link for the application. I know it hasn’t been long since people were accepted but I have not gotten an email about it yet and I’m getting a little anxious since I really want to apply. I just got in to UIUC’s honors program but if I get in to Madison’s I will definitely go to UW over UIUC. Should I call tomorrow and ask when they will send the email out?

@msd228 and @BrewCrew82 the following link was referenced by @Madison85 in 2010 I believe. The original material apparently mentioned the number of postponed applicants who were eventually accepted (~50% according to 2010 post). The new material, however, merely list next steps (self report grades, start financial aid paperwork, etc) and also lists contact information

http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf

@msd228 @BrewCrew82

https://www.admissions.wisc.edu/assets/pdfs/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf

In case original 2010 link does not. Work

“RD” above must mean ROLLING decisions. There is NO early action/regular decision at UW. The bunch who applied earliest, by the November earlier notification deadline, did get an answer by now- many decisions were postponed. A student with stellar stats who applied in January could have been accepted by now. As accepted students choose other schools and later applications are evaluated decisions can continue to be released. An end March date is not the only possible one. However, UW likely will wait to give early birds who are postponed their decisions only after all applications have been evaluated and probable refusal of UW made. A lot simpler for them to release batches of decisions I suspect.

Remember- those who apply to many schools have no chance of learning where they are in the pool of candidates like those who know they are in that middle pool of postponed ones for UW. They must wait until March even if their chances are low.

GPA: 3.7
ACT: 28
Wisconsin resident. Postponed. Not too surprised, but very dissapointed. UW Madison is my dream school. Submitted my semester grades, as well as two additional letters of recommendation(both from AP teachers). I was admitted to University of Minnesota-Twin Cities so I do have a backup, but really hoping to be admitted!

@Kat2241 can I ask when you received this decision? I’m assuming it wasn’t today.

@BrewCrew82 I received this decision very late December in one of the first waves. Only just found this forum which is why I’m posting so late.

Im trying to send a letter of continued interest after being postponed. How do we find our regional counselors?