UW-Madison Fall 2016 Decisions

Does anyone know when the decisions are released for intl students? Are there multiple waves or sth?

@Klossy - You do have to apply for the scholarships separately. Don’t know which school you are in- but Letters & Sciences scholarship application was due February 1st.You may want to check on that because I believe most if not all of the scholarship applications are already done.

@Honeybee30 i applied to CoE for CS, wbu?

Accepted to College of Letters and Science! OOS IL
GPA: 4.97
ACT: 35
10 APs in total and lots of extracurriculars.
Idk if I’ll go here but it feels nice to be accepted after a string of wait lists

@jk1998 Were you accepted anywhere else?

Waitlisted! Does anyone understand how the waitlist works? I’m having trouble deciding if I should even accept a spot on there.

@Shenreice lol except for my two safeties, I’ve gotten waitlisted from all five of the colleges I’ve heard back from so far cri. I still have seven more colleges to hear back from though (I applied to a lot ^^;:wink:

Regarding the number of out of state students being admitted and if MN is impacted I am unclear. We won’t know until admissions numbers are released. Governor of WI cut funds to UW Madison. A deal was cut where UW Madison is allowed to take more out of state students and raise their tuition while still guaranteeing a set number 3,500? freshman seats for in state freshman (not sure if MN counts). However, the university claims it will be committed to in state student education. UW Madison also claims the number of quality WI high school graduates is declining (in number, not necessarily poor schools) so there is more need for out of state students to maintain “quality workforce” Here is one link to some discussion and original source info https://www.wiscape.wisc.edu/wiscape/home/blog/wiscape-blog/2015/10/08/the-university-of-madison

has anyone accepted yesterday received housing info?? I try to go on it and it says I do not have access to the page.

No housing info for me yet and I paid the fee and accepted admittance early yesterday afternoon

Are any accepted students doing a gap year? I graduated high school a year early, so I plan on spending next year in Korea on exchange. I was accepted inti Rotaru to do that. Then I will come back with the class of 2021 I guess.

This is my first post, but I wanted to thank everyone for all of the helpful info. I was so happy to find out my daughter was accepted today. We are OOS Ohio. My older daughter is working at Epic. Not sure if this one will choose to join her sister in Madison, but I am happy she now has that option. Has anyone gotten financial aid award info?

Did you try the NPC? What is your EFC?

I do not have financial aid AWARD info yet, and I should have been offered unsubsidized loans. Other less expensive UW schools did. If you click on financial aid, under award info click on Cost of Attendance, EFC & Need. That will tell you if they think you have “need” based on the calculated Estimated Family Contribution. Those numbers do show for me. No need I believe means NO GRANT FOR YOU

If FAFSA EFC is $14,001 or higher for non-Wisconsin residents, grants are zero.

All entering freshmen are admitted to the university as a whole, regardless of intended major. A small number are currently admitted to Business and Engineering but most are not. The default college/school for admissions is L&S unless another available one is stated. Therefore most students will be admitted to L&S regardless of proposed major. This makes sense as most will need L&S courses to meet requirements for breadth and majors. Nursing, teaching, engineering and business hopefuls will need to apply to their respective places based on their UW credentials later. Some fields are competitive based on the resources available- students in those fields will be able to get needed classes. There are some differences in graduation requirements for the different schools/colleges.

Computer Science is in L&S. Computer Engineering is in Engineering.

Many/most freshmen are undecided or change their majors after starting college. The reason to declare a major now is to receive advising relative to it at SOAR. Your decisions now are not etched in stone. Flexibility to change majors lasts until you graduate. Of course deciding sooner than later makes it easier to plan your courses and graduate in a timely fashion.

Do not worry about most of this now. The only concern is to list a major for advising purposes at SOAR. If you have no major you still will get advising. L&S Honors Program students get an Honors advisor. You deal with real people and they know the ropes about how to deal with the system to help you personally. Computers do NOT rule, humans do.

What does it mean if it states my EFC as zero?

EFC is the amount they think your family can afford to spend on college

Is it bad if I haven’t heard yet :frowning: ?

@asdfg123456 i haven’t either :frowning: