***UW-Madison Fall 2018 Transfer Thread***

They are waiting to see where their regular decision transfer lie, then compare that overall. Generally students with less credits are deferred by default if they see no outstanding reason for instant acceptance. If you achieve the same grades second semester, that you did first semester… then you will most likely* be granted acceptance pending continued success. Especially applied to those who do not have the strongest test scores and high school gpa’s. If you were required to submit them, they looked at them. Regardless of how many credits you have received
in college.

**alright you all well I signed a lease for Madison with 3 other guys the rent is 495 a month I’m no longer planning on going to madison so if anyone is looking or knows anyone who is looking for a room with some down to earth guys near campus please let me know. send me a IM if you want the lease would go from 8/16/2018-8/14/2019 Very good deal very nice house.

Anyone know when we can begin registering for orientation?

So I got deferred today…
I applied for finance. 4.00 GPA with 47 credits+15 credits in progress from a CCC. I don’t exactly know what the reason for the deferral was. I have strong recs and a good essay. My main guess is that it’s due to me only having a GED?

Edit: And I submitted a mid-term report with a 4.00 as well.

I haven’t received a decision yet. Do you think it’s because I haven’t submitted my University transcript? I got my first semester results recently which was why I couldn’t submit it. I’m an international student transferring from India and I have about 10-13 credits.

@megzk21 Wait…If you don’t submit the transcript, how did you complete the application? BTW, I think there is a minimum requirement on credits that you have done which is 24…

@djsfgiwek actually I had applied as a freshman but they changed it to a transfer application.

Hey all. So I sent the UW advisor an email and she said that finishing the semester strong is really beneficial. I also realized I’m taking 3 required courses for transferring this semester, so of course they would want to see that I completed the requirements, since I’m an international student. Well, my acceptance is still not guaranteed, but it makes me feel better knowing that they had a concrete reason to defer me. Good luck everyone, hope you all come back with some good news!!

Few questions about transfer credit eval and enrolling in classes. In important notes from my eval it says
-Your foreign language degree requirement has NOT been met. You must take the
appropriate placement test (French, German, Latin, Spanish) if you intend to satisfy
this degree requirement by continuing in the foreign language you previously studied.
I took 2 years in high school 6 years ago, does this mean I will have continue this language at UW(there is no way i can remember much)? Or can i do another language to fulfill?
Also I’m curious when the DARS report will be made available to us.

@cakesbake what do you intend to major in? If you are in Letter & Science there is a language proficiency requirement, so you would have to advance to the fourth level of a single language, or the third level of one language, and then the second level of another language. Other schools and colleges have their own language requirements.

@oboemom65 Computer Science. I see that its 3 years language for a B.S… I don’t know the best way to approach this since I took spanish a long time ago when i was not the greatest student. I’m thinking maybe i just start a different language this summer and do the two semesters at uw.

Your HS foreign language counts as long as you passed the classes. No need to do in college for the L&S BS if you have 3 from HS (with 4 you could get a BA- BA/BS are not major specific in L&S).

@cakesbake you will have to either test into the the fourth semester of the language you took in high school or take three semesters of another language for a BS in L&S. Other schools and colleges have different requirements. For instance the WSB requires three units of the same foreign language, so if you had two units from high school you could take the first semester of the language at UW and fulfill this requirement, it is not a proficiency requirement like L&S. CALs has no language requirement, so as long as you complete the required two years in high school to be eligible to apply to UW you don’t need anymore language if you get your degree from CALs.

@wis75 I took two years of Spanish in high school back in 2013. @oboemom65 You stated for WSB i could take the two units from high school and do the first semester of it and it counts? Does that only apply for WSB or could I do that for my computer science degree in L&S? Thank you both for the help!

@cakesbake it’s only for the WSB. The university has certain general education requirements. Beyond those university wide gen eds each school and college decides what their degree requirements are.

Double check with your department for what you can do.

As I recall you will need 3rd semester of your language in order to satisfy reqs. If you can’t jump into that level you might have to start over at 1 or 2 sem or just try to get the C grade in 3rd. Yes, as above advised check dept. Ask if you can take 3rd sem as pass/fail.

Is anybody else’s credit evaluation tab gone on their portal as of this morning?

Guys, I hope someone can see my post. I got accepted, but I’m doing badly in a current course. It is a sociology class (liberal art requirement on my current school). The most likely find grade I will get is C+ for now. If I do a little better on final exam, probably B-. If much better, then B (not really possible). But I keep A in rest of my classes. Is it likely that they would revoke my admission because of a sociology class? (BTW, I’m CS major)

Is it unheard of to get admitted with a 3.0 GPA?