UW Madison vs. UMN (Carlson)

<p>Madison (the city) actually does have a lot of culture from what I've heard and read- almost disproportionately to the actual size of the city. I've visited Madison numerous times, but I won't be living there until next year, so I can't really comment other than sharing things I've learned about. </p>

<p>Theater-wise (something I really enjoy!), there is the Overture Center (Overture</a> Center for the Arts | Madison, Wisconsin) on Sate Street which hosts various theater, Broadway shows (Spelling Bee and Spamalot are two that are coming soon), orchestras, operas, ballet, and more. There is also a group called the Young Shakespeare Players that puts on their own productions in Madison
you also have to throw in all the things happening at the University itself. There are going to be tons of student productions that will be cheap and I'm sure done very well.</p>

<p>Moving on, if you're into art, there is plenty of that, especially on campus . The Chazen Musuem of Art (<a href="http://www.chazen.wisc.edu/home.htm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.chazen.wisc.edu/home.htm&lt;/a&gt;) is one of those. There is also the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art which is actually housed inside the Overture Center. That's one of the few places I've been to personally, and even though I've never really been a huge art person, I thought it was very nice (not to mention-free!). Lots of art galleries, in addition. I've seen a number just walking down State Street.</p>

<p>Another important thing to mention is actually one that I'm really excited about- Madison was actually the first city in the WORLD (and currently one of only two cities) to get a Sundance Cinema installed (<a href="http://www.sundancecinemas.com/sundance_608.html)%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.sundancecinemas.com/sundance_608.html)&lt;/a>. There they show a lot of the more indie films from the Sundance Festivals and ones that don't make it into more main-stream theaters. </p>

<p>The Wisconsin Film Festival (2008</a> Wisconsin Film Festival : Madison : 3-6 April) is also held each year in Madison and on campus is Cinematheque (Cinematheque</a>) which is dedicated to showing more "films which would otherwise never reach Madison screens."</p>

<p>There are many museums to explore- (Madison</a> Museums%5DMadison">http://www.madisonmuseums.org/))).&lt;/p>

<p>Madison also has a huge music scene with many clubs and places to see live music, as well as numerous music festivals. UW, of course, has many of their own student musical performances too.</p>

<p>I've also read that literature is very important in Madison, and there is a huge literary scene. There are tons of bookstores and libraries, and lots of author speakings and the like. </p>

<p>And, if you consider sports as a part of culture, there is definitely plenty of that! ;)</p>

<p>Overall, I'm sure I left out a lot, but I think there really is a lot to do culturally in Madison. It is known, being a college and very liberal town, as quite "indie" and I think you'd be able to find plenty to keep you busy. Of course, Minneapolis has a lot of great stuff as well, I'm just pointing out what Madison itself has. </p>

<p>Madison may have that high party ranking (and that definitely is something that worries me too), but from friends I know that go to both schools- I think you would notice partying at Minnesota as much as you would at Wisconsin. And if you want to look at rankings- Madison, the city, has been rated "Top Medium-Sized Metro in the Arts", "One of the Ten Most Livable Cities in the United States", "One of the 30 Best Towns in America", "One of the Nation's 25 Best Cities in Which to Live", "One of 100 Best Places to Live in America", "One of 10 "New American Dream Towns", "#2 Best Small City to Live", "#5 Campus Scenes That Rock", "Ranked #1 of Small-size Cities for Creativity", "#2 among "America's Best Places to Live and Work", "The Most Wired City in the Country", and so much more (<a href="http://www.visitmadison.com/visitorinfo/awards.php)%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.visitmadison.com/visitorinfo/awards.php)&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/p>

<p>EDIT- For whatever reason, it didn't like my links to the UW arts site, so just go to University</a> of Wisconsin-Madison: Arts on Campus and explore the different topics from there for what is available on the campus itself.</p>

<p>i'm up late and procastinating on my paper, so i'll throw my two cents in...</p>

<p>I grew up in the Madison area my whole life, parents are alums. I got waitlisted and denied from UW with a 32 ACT and 3.6 uw gpa, I had never been more disappointed in my life. I decided to go to the U of M because I feel like middle class people paying OOS tuition is moronic and I always wanted to go to a big school. I really liked the campus when I visited, but UW was always my favorite. If I could've chose any school regardless of tuition and admission requirements, it would've been UW in a heartbeat.</p>

<p>So I go off to the U of M. I meet a bunch of really cool people, do great my first semester, but it just didn't feel right. Maybe it was the fact that UW had rubbed off on me for the past 18 years. The Minneapolis part of U of M weird and unappealing in that it can't decide whether it wants to be a "college town" like Madison or an urban setting like NYU. I needed that college town feel, that excitement for football games, an energetic student body, hell, even beer bongs in front of the stadium. I didn't get that at the U. The greek system seems to run the social life and it feels like there were a lot of commuters who just took college as a job. I have the most anti-social dorm on the planet, not a single person keeps their door open. </p>

<p>I also agree with the point about Alumni. UW alums seem to wear their colors proud and rave about their college. I didn't really get that with U of M alums.</p>

<p>So I applied to transfer to UW and got in. And although I'm leaving some of my friends behind, I know a ton of people at UW and plan to meet a ton more by being involved. I can't wait for next year.</p>

<p>In summary, If you are deciding between UW and the U of M it really shouldn't be a question. Spring time at the Union listening to live music on Lake Mendota. Late night adventures on State Street. It just doesn't get any better than that. If you go to UW-Madison, I guarantee you won't regret your decision.</p>

<p>First of all, I should note, coming from a High School with very little school spirit, I personally dont' care all that much about the games and what not (though, I will admit, I probably participated more than a lot of people during week-long homecoming activities and what not, even though I really didn't care for the football at all...).</p>

<p>HOWEVER, i'm hearing a lot of good things about Madison from you guys and from people who have gone to minnesota and madison (or at least lived in one area or the other)...Madison is sounding very tempting despite the appeal I have towards big cities. Madison, from what you guys have said, seems to have everything I want and more...though, so does Minnesota...HOWEVER.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The Minneapolis part of U of M weird and unappealing in that it can't decide whether it wants to be a "college town" like Madison or an urban setting like NYU.

[/quote]

I haven't explored the city that much and really have just been appealed by the fact that it is a city. To add to this quote though, I was reading about Dinky Town and how commercialized its becoming when it use to be the sort of "culture" of the campus. On the other hand, Madison seems to have a focus and even if it isen't a big city...it seems to have some neat qualities that sound more interesting than the simple "big city appeal".</p>

<p>
[quote]
I grew up in the Madison area my whole life, parents are alums. I got waitlisted and denied from UW with a 32 ACT and 3.6 uw gpa,

[/quote]

It's reading things like this that worry me with my acceptance :S I got accepted with a 26 ACT and a 3.7 GPA (college of engineering section)...however, my class schdule is rigerouse and I have done some fairly impressive things. I got postponed (not waitlisted) in October and accepted not too long ago. </p>

<p>Well, thanks so much everyone for posting and I am much more serously looking at Wisconsin...I'll be asking around and probably visited 2 weeks from now.</p>

<p>UW has the lakeshore dorms- nice for small town people to decompress from large campus life. Also, not everyone is into the party culture so don't worry about that. BTW, you got accepted to the university as a whole, it didn't matter which college you intend to enroll in. Remember- a school as large as UW has many facets, many different lifestyles. It is the kind of campus people do not leave on weekends, the long drive home is likely to be a rare event. State St. can't be beat.</p>

<p>The real gem of the midwest is Chicago. Everything else is subpar.</p>

<p>
[quote]
State St. can't be beat.

[/quote]

Quite frankly state street didn't seem all that great to me and I have been there, walking around for the day. However, I was talking with a teacher of mine who went to Madison about 4 years ago and she was telling me that there is a lot more to Madison than state street, so, that is far from the highlight of why I would go...unless there is something I'm missing about state street.</p>

<p>
[quote]
It is the kind of campus people do not leave on weekends, the long drive home is likely to be a rare event. State St. can't be beat.

[/quote]

I never had plans to be going home much...I'd like to get away from my parents quite frankly. :)</p>

<p>Overall, this is a very tough decision because city life does intrigue me, but from my talks with my teachers, there seems to be a lot of arts related things going on in Madison and it does seem like a fun place....and, it seems internships would be just as available there with how close places like Chicago are.</p>

<p>Save the city life for when you are an adult. You will be in college, you might as well experience the best college town in America.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Save the city life for when you are an adult. You will be in college, you might as well experience the best college town in America.

[/quote]

As simple and short as that was....I think you made me really weight myself towards Madison now. Considering the area I would probably be working in, chances are I would end up in the cities...</p>

<p>I think you guys have changed my mind. I'm still going to talk with a bunch of other people though and visit the campus....I have till May 1st to make a decision so, I might as well make sure with such an important decision.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot again for everyone's input! It has really helped!</p>

<p>It is important for you that most of the other students are also staying on campus on weekends, you won't be lonely because all of your friends will also be there, not heading for home every weekend. Agree about city life for later- enough to do within walking distance of the campus boundaries- even Picnic Point for nature lovers.</p>