UW Ranked #45 in US News Best Colleges 2011

<p>

That does absolutely nothing to explain why engineering grads have so many more credits than they actually need to graduate. Examples: ChemE 152.2 credits (133 required), NuclearE 150 credits (128 required), etc. </p>

<p>If you would only listen to the students, like AxeBack’s post, they would tell you: they’re forced to waste semesters taking classes they don’t need to take because they’re locked out of the classes they do need.</p>

<p>My point was never that no Harvard student ever takes time off during college. It was that Harvard doesn’t actively encourage it – like it’s good for you or something. Rather, Harvard encourages students to take time off BEFORE college.</p>

<p>In any event, as JiffsMom says, the proof is in the pudding. Harvard students graduate in four years; UW students don’t.</p>

<p>

They’re much higher than they need to be for first year students who enter UW with a lot of AP/transfer credits. </p>

<p>And you forgot about AxeBack’s statement that he knows people who are forced to waste a semester because they can’t get into the classes they need, and that a lot of people here are pretty frustrated by this system.

Apparently not. You’re desperately fighting against even admitting that it is a problem.</p>

<p>^Oh, there’s a problem. Grad rates are low. It’s your hypothetical explanations for the low rates that are rubbish.</p>

<p>Obviously somebody is both math and reading impaired. And they seemed to think it was VERY good for you.</p>

<p>

So you’re going with this: Ignore those actually telling you students can’t get into the classes they need which causes them to waste semesters, and insist that UW students, unlike their peers at other universities, are just somehow incapable of planning their course sequences effectively. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>

Really barrons? What about needing nearly 20 additional credits and extra time to meet graduation requirements do you not understand?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No, Jiffsmom, I’m just ignoring you. I hear plenty of opinions from UW students every day. You know, considering I am one. I don’t need your interpretations.</p>

<p>Listen to how your premise sounds: course lockouts from schools that accept students in their sophomore year and have multiple open lectures RIGHT NOW IN AUGUST keep highly motivated students from graduating on time because they couldn’t find a useful class to complete among the 1000+ offered by UW each semester. These same students constitute a large enough segment of the student body to significantly affect graduation rates at UW-Madison, a school with 30,000 undergrads, even though its largest college (L&S) is not application based. This is the primary reason that half of UW students don’t graduate in 4 years.</p>

<p>Your proof: anecdotal stories from one guy who “knows people.” He better know a whole lot of people.</p>

<p>I don’t blame you for knowing nothing about a school you’re not affiliated with. I just don’t get why you pretend to know anything. You’re ignorant about UW. And you’re a fool for not knowing it.</p>

<p>Nothing wrong with throwing around ideas. But there’s no need to defend baseless opinions when there’s many people from UW telling you you’re full of ****.</p>

<p>Have your way then, justtotalk. Ignore the problem students themselves report (they are locked out of and can’t take the classes they need), watch UW’s 4-year graduation rate remain much MUCH lower than its peers, and watch UW continue to slide down the rankings. Why you keep pushing for that is beyone me.</p>