UW remains in Top 20 in world rankings

<p>[url=<a href="http://www.arwu.org/rank2008/ARWU2008_TopAmer(EN).htm%5DARWU2008%5B/url"&gt;http://www.arwu.org/rank2008/ARWU2008_TopAmer(EN).htm]ARWU2008[/url&lt;/a&gt;]&lt;/p>

<p>And #1 in the big 10!!!</p>

<p>What was the methodology for these rankings? I am happy Wisc is so high, but I just find it hard to believe UC-San Fran could beat out Northwestern and Johns Hopkins. Also, Twin Cities beating Northwestern, NYU, and Duke? Very interesting.</p>

<p>It's on their website. Publications, research, major awards won by faculty are the main items.</p>

<p>It was a little hard to find from your link so anyone who is interested here is the methodology: [url=<a href="http://www.arwu.org/rank2008/ARWU2008Methodology(EN).htm#M3%5DARWU2008_Methodology%5B/url"&gt;http://www.arwu.org/rank2008/ARWU2008Methodology(EN).htm#M3]ARWU2008_Methodology[/url&lt;/a&gt;]&lt;/p>

<p>Anyway, it is an interesting study.</p>

<p>barrons,</p>

<p>That's not "world" ranking. That's just N. and Latin America</p>

<p>I had a link to a world ranking one, with Chinese, Japanese, and European universities on there. UW is ranked about the same on that list too (I think 18?)</p>

<p>Yes, they have multiple versions with different groupings. As most here want to know how UW stands vs other US schools I linked the NA version.</p>

<p>Let's see how you guys will do in the football field. ;) By the way, I am gonna go to the Fresno game with my roommate and couple other badgers (his friends).</p>

<p>Consider the source, would want to know how well regarded by the academic world it is. Never hurts to have high rankings, even if they don't mean much to most people.</p>

<p>I am worried about the FSU game. They have a good QB and ends in a wide open offense. We tend to not do well with such teams on the road. I'm not going because I think we get trounced.</p>

<p>According to the COHE the SJTU rankings are well regarded in international academic circles.</p>

<p>"When a small group of researchers at Shanghai Jiao Tong University, in China, started comparing the world's top research universities, their aim was to help China develop world-class institutions of its own. But their annual "Academic Rankings of World Universities," first published in 2003, quickly became a popular international reference.</p>

<p>The ranking is based almost entirely on measures of strength in research. It looks at such indicators as the number of faculty members whose papers are highly cited, and the number of faculty members and alumni who win Nobel Prizes. The result is a list of what Shanghai Jiao Tong says are the world's 500 best institutions.</p>

<p>In 2004 The Times Higher Education Supplement, a British weekly, introduced its annual World University Rankings, which list 200 institutions. Those rankings are based half on the opinions of faculty members and company recruiters, and half on the ratio of full-time academic staff members to students and on how often faculty members' papers are cited.</p>

<p>Although the ranking has not achieved the influence of its Chinese competitor, the two lists have had considerable impact in just a few years, especially outside the United States."</p>

<p>barrons,</p>

<p>I understand your concern. It seems to me the Big Ten teams seem to have trouble against west coast offense.

[quote]
The ranking is based almost entirely on measures of strength in research.

[/quote]

The Big10 has 5 schools in the top-25. I didn't expect MN>NU though even if it's based entirely on research.</p>

<p>those are some weird rankings...Madison and U of M before Northwestern?</p>

<p>Is UWash-Seattle really above UW-Madison?</p>

<p>I look at a lot of rankings while deciding for school, and even though Northwestern's name is very prestigous, Madison and U of M have a lot stronger departments than Northwestern. Northwestern's engineering isn't ranked that high for example.</p>

<p>Northwestern kills Madison and UofM in both Business and communications.</p>

<p>Wrong. UW's communications school is considered the top comm theory school in the US. NU is more pre-professional and has had internal problems. NU does not even have an undergrad business program, yet.</p>

<p>Really? Because I've heard that Northwestern has a beast of a business school too.......And yet they don't even have a undergrad business program? Dang...</p>

<p>Nope. They just started to offer some sort of certificate in business which is like a minor.</p>

<p>Kellogg</a> School Certificate Program for Undergraduates - Kellogg School of Management - Northwestern University</p>

<p>^"minor" would be an understatement. no "full-blown" undergrad business program (or even MBA) requires such extensive pre-reqs in honors calculus, econometrics, and probability. the first course combines two first-yr MBA finance courses into one quarter.</p>

<p>I don't know what communication theory is but from the US News and World reports I've seen Northwestern is top 3 Journalism and Mass Communications school and Wisc is around 8 or 9th. So Northwestern beats it, doesn't "kill" it.</p>