VA Tech ACT

<p>Does VA Tech superscore the ACT? (take the highest subscores across test dates)</p>

<p>They actually don’t use the ACT scores directly. They have an ACT-SAT conversion chart that they use. They take your highest subscores and convert them to SAT range. Then if you have any past SAT scores and your ACT converted ones are higher, they superscore it. My SAT critical reading wasn’t very high, but they converted my reading score from the ACT which was about 150 points higher and added that to my SAT math score for a final score. I highly recommend taking the SAT if you are going to send in ACT scores. It can only help you, ya know?</p>

<p>how do you know this? I can’t find where it says this on their website. Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>Actually, I am not sure James is totally correct.</p>

<p>They will take the ACT and converted to an SAT score, they do this to compare apples to apples.</p>

<p>They will superscore each subsection. However, I have never heard of them mixing the two to make a whole new superscore. Our DD is at VT and she sent both, in the end they took her SAT whole superscore, there was no point differentiation and I know for a fact that her V subsection on the ACT was higher than her SAT CR.</p>

<p>I don’t know of any college that does this because the ACT is 4 components and the SAT is only 3. You can’t superscore just the M portion, because the ACT has Science too, and some of that science could also be found on the M of the SAT (graphing). </p>

<p>When they do the conversion, traditionally they will do the composite as a whole. In other words if you get a 33 the conversion would be a total @2300 on the SAT. If your SAT superscored is 2200, they will take the ACT because it is higher than the SAT.</p>

<p>Many students do get confused because they know superscoring occurs, so they think that they do take one from each and then superscore that. Again, I don’t know of one university that utilizes that method, granted my kids only applied to 10 colleges, but they were all very big name universities from UNNCH to UMiami FL to NYU.</p>

<p>I know for certain that Georgia Tech converts ACT scores to SAT equivalents in a manner similar to what James is describing for Virginia Tech. One of the GT admissions reps referred to their method as super-duper scoring. They ignore ACT science, reading, and composite scores for their conversions. </p>

<p>For example, if a student has taken both the SAT and ACT, Georgia Tech will convert the ACT English score to the SAT scale (32 converted to 720 in my son’s case) and compare it to the SAT Critical Reading score. They do similar score conversions/comparisons for Converted ACT Math vs. SAT Math and Converted ACT English/Writing vs. SAT Writing. After doing the three conversions and comparisons, they take the three best section scores and add them together for their super-duper total score. In my son’s case, his ACT scores for English and English/Writing converted to exactly the same scores that he made on the corresponding SAT sections. He did get 40 extra points from his converted ACT Math compared to his actual SAT Math score though.</p>

<p>I have read that Rose-Hulman in Indiana does something similar, and it may be that Virginia Tech is doing this as well. Several other CC threads seem to indicate as much, but Virginia Tech does not acknowledge it anywhere on their website.</p>

<p>We were told by an admissions staffer during a summer tour that they will take your ACT, convert to SAT and then use your best score from each section - whether originally ACT or SAT. Very liberal way of looking at standardized tests.</p>

<p>That was my understanding of how they did it, a mix of the two tests if that gave you the best score. It’s been a while though, and I’m not sure.</p>

<h2>I know this because it was done for me. I e-mailed undergraduate admissions a few times in order to make sure they received my 1st SAT scores, my ACT scores, and my 2nd SAT scores. I have a folder on my Yahoo Mail account just for my e-mails to and from VT during the admissions period for Fall 2010. </h2>

<p>From: VT Admissions (vtadmiss) <a href=“mailto:vtadmiss@exchange.vt.edu”>vtadmiss@exchange.vt.edu</a>
To: <erased for=“” privacy=“”>
Sent: Sun, February 14, 2010 5:44:13 PM
Subject: RE: ACT/SAT Score Comparison</erased></p>

<p>"Greetings from VT Admissions!</p>

<p>Yes, the ACT scores are converted to SAT scores using a concordance table. The average ACT composite score of students offered admission is 26, which translates to an SAT score of 1180 (math and critical reading). Yes, we use the highest subsection score of all test scores submitted, ACT and SAT. Please let us know if you need further assistance.</p>

<p>Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Virginia Tech
201 Burruss Hall
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Phone: 540/231-6267
Fax: 540/231-3242"</p>