Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Good for you! Hope others follow you.

1 Like

When science says Iā€™m not likely to get sick or transmit a contagious disease, sorry that my rational fear of dying from the ā€œantidoteā€ makes people angry. Iā€™ve seen people sick and die from the disease. Iā€™m not an idiot. I wanted a few months of real data from a larger sample size and to get on a regimen that would reduce my risk of deadly side effects from the vaccine first.

So I wouldnā€™t call myself vaccine reluctant. Just getting educated about my own personal safety and taking precautions.

5 Likes

Iā€™m very pro-vaccine, but I think that someone whose had Covid may well have the luxury of waiting a bit to get the vaccine. It sounds like your reasons for delaying were understandable. Wishing you all the best.

6 Likes

Iā€™m definitely pro-vaccine, but when I hear an individualā€™s reasons for waiting, Iā€™m often sympathetic. You certainly have mine. I am sorry you have had to suffer so long with the effects from covid. I can understand your fear of potentially worsening an already hard situation. I hope your vaccine goes well next week.

2 Likes

Heart arrhythmia, neuropathy, breathing issues, hypertension all thanks to covid. Of course I donā€™t want it again. But sadly, some of the post covid problems increase my chances of another pulmonary embolism so when people started getting clots post vaccine of course I paused. I had to wait 90 days anyways, then waited a few more weeks to see more data on the vaccines.

Iā€™m in healthcare and have an excellent doctor. With the extra precaution of going on aspirin for a few months, we both feel better.

I wear masks at work. I rarely go to stores. Everyone in my house had covid. I got my flu shot as I do every year. Iā€™m not anti Vax.

9 Likes

I guess I would wonder why all of the members of your household got Covid? My daughter and her husband are both physicians and never got it.

But that is how Covid has been. I know several families where one person tested positive and eventually the entire family did. And other families where one person tested positive and no one else did. Tough to know the reasons for that at least in some cases.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry youā€™ve been sick for 8 months. I feel badly for people who got Covid, especially those who became ill just a few weeks before the vaccines were released.The vaccines have only been available for 7 months so it was too late to be a preventive measure for you, but Iā€™m keeping my fingers crossed that it gets rid of your symptoms like it did for Creeklandā€™s son.

3 Likes

Why so judgmental? Do you think every person who has had covid ā€œcould have prevented thatā€?

13 Likes

Could we please celebrate that @2plustrio is getting the vaccine instead of being hostile?

This is about the reasons why people are reluctant to get the vaccine.

@2plustrio i really hope that some of your symptoms abate after the vaccine. You have told us why the vaccine is important because no one wishes to go through what you have.

Editing to say that the vast majority of responses to @2plustrio have been positive, thanks. I think we should celebrate all who have decided to receive the vaccine because in the end, itā€™s one more step to herd immunity. Even when that person has had coronavirus

10 Likes

I am not sure what you think I was saying, but I am glad you are getting vaccinated. Thatā€™s why I said good for you and I hope others follow you.

1 Like

they likely meant that towards cottontales. I think @2plustrio is taking the right approach. They got covid before the vaccines were readily available and then were able to work closely with their Doctors to determine when it was safe to get vaccinated. I am sure that if they had not gotten Covid, they would have been vaccinated sooner.

1 Like

According to one article showing data that I saw, 57% did better after Moderna and 13% did worse. My fingers are crossed (and prayers offered) that youā€™re in the majority.

My guy was among the first to have caught it back in March 2020 having caught it (likely) at church. We were with him in Feb 2021 and he still had to limit his walking and felt fatigued etc, plus didnā€™t play frisbee for more than a few minutes before having chest pains and being tired.

He was eligible to be vaxed in April and hopped on it mainly to ā€œjoin the crowd.ā€ His first vax he had no side effects other than a sore arm. His second one in May he was under the weather for a little less than a day. We were with him again in late May and ā€œmy guyā€ was back. He could hike, go on long walks, play frisbee for as long as the kids were playing and all sorts of normal 20+ something behavior. It felt so good seeing him back again. I pray it continues for the rest of his life.

I really, really wish the same for you and anyone else in his shoes. It was awful for just about a year.

I wish they could figure out more about Covid and how it works - or how the vax worked to clear things up for some - so doctors could be more informed with who will do better with it and who wonā€™t.

Thank you for your contribution to knowledge as you find out what side youā€™re on (or if you stay in the middle). Itā€™s people like you who help advance the knowledge doctorā€™s have.

5 Likes

Why did I get covid? We arenā€™t quite sure. I worked in the ER with covid positive people and was working face to face with 20 year olds. Always masked (n95 when possible) with good hand hygiene but we know that doesnā€™t give you 100% immunity.
My kids have been in f2f school and sports since August. Yes I got covid before the vaccines were available.

I was feeling tired for a day or two but still had to pick up my kids from school so they likely got exposed that way. When I awoke with cough and fever, I then spent 2 weeks in bed away from my family but my kids both ended up with symptoms as well. My husband never had symptoms but when he donated blood in March he had positive antibodies so he had it at some point. We do question if some of the research about O Neg people being least affected may be true.

Without the vaccine it says I have a less than 3% chance of getting covid again (some are saying less than 1% based on prolonged positive antibodies). Getting the vaccine still will not make me 100% immune. I know my story angers some people and Iā€™m fine with that. I know science shows Iā€™m less likely to give covid to someone else right now that someone vaccinated who never had covid. Iā€™ve seen people die and I know covid is real. My health problems are also very real and I had to consider my personal medical history.

Iā€™m not one of those covid isnā€™t real and itā€™s just the flu people. I was sick as hell and still have issues from it. Iā€™m just being open and honest with my story to show not all non vacced people are evil idiots. I know the delta variant is an issue but the science isnā€™t totally there yet if the Vax will protect us long term.

Iā€™m hopeful I donā€™t have any bad effects from the vaccine. Iā€™m getting it on a Monday so it gives me a day of rest before having to go into work Wednesday. Iā€™m on my blood thinners which for my health was important.

14 Likes

From what I have read, the BEST immunity belongs not to former Covid patients, or currently vaccinated individuals, but former Covid patients who have had one vaccine.

Good luck-perhaps you will be lucky like @Creeklandā€™s Covid long hauler and will see your symptoms relieved!

3 Likes

In reference to the study at https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2101927 , where the antibody responses for first-of-two-dose vaccinated and unvaccinated previously infected health care workers were all over the place, but the antibody responses for previously infected health care workers who got vaccinated were very high?

I.e. it looks like getting COVID-19 produces antibody responses similar to a first dose of a two dose vaccine.

I was impressed with the UK trial data for Novavax that was recently released. Unfortunately, there was a case of myocarditis which makes me wonder if it worth waiting, for but it still looks very good in terms of reactions.

I will not get the J&J for moral reasons, but besides that, is Pfizer or Moderna considered better for someone with autoantibodies and a history of POTS who may have had covid already due two positive IgM antibody tests? Also tinnitus.

Do you have a link that talks about the case of myocarditis in Novavaxā€™s UK study? I would be interested in seeing that, as I havenā€™t heard that. I donā€™t think the US/Mexico study (PREVENT) had any myocarditis cases, and the good news is that study was double the size of the UK one. U.S. clinical trial results show Novavax vaccine is safe and prevents COVID-19 | National Institutes of Health (NIH)

As for your Pfizer/Moderna question, you should ask your doctorā€¦but the mechanism of action of those two vaccines are very similar.

1 Like

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2107659?query=featured_home

I hope this works! If thereā€™s a problem you could try searching New England Journal of Medicine or nejm.org Safety and Efficacy of NVX-CoV2373 Covid-19 Vaccine.

1 Like

Does anyone else have an issue with having to get a 3rd booster in under a year. One would hope that a two shot sequence would work for at least a year. Now there is talk about getting a 3rd. I have a feeling there will be much more resistance to this . I understand the need for annual shots (aka the flu), but if the vaccines (I got Moderna) prevent serious disease, at this point I would be reluctant to get a 3rd booster before at least a year had passed. Would one still be considered fully vaccinated if they only had 2?