Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

My parents are in MO and fully vaccinated. Based on info from Israel (and some from Great Britain that I haven’t followed up on closely enough), I have told my parents that they should go back to masks indoors, and distanced outdoors, until we know more about the Delta variant and breakthrough infections. So few people are vaxxed there and cases have skyrocketed, I REALLY want them to err on the side of caution for another few weeks. By then we will have more data regarding vaccine efficacy against Delta.

6 Likes

We are in Colorado and have gone back to masking up indoors (I think we went unmasked for a whole two weeks!). My county is highly vaxxed, but we have lots of tourists and there are pockets in our state that are very anti-COVID-vaccine. We aren’t really distancing outside. Maybe it’s psychological because we are all vaxxed, but I’m a worrier and it makes me feel better.

6 Likes

We are still masking indoors in HI and I am doing ok with it. It’s harder for mom, with her hearing aids which can get jostled by elastic on sides of mask. We try to avoid people and rarely dine indoors at restaurants.

1 Like

I would be fine with having a booster whenever my Lung doc advises it.

One of my main takeaways from this whole pandemic is being shocked and disappointed in so many nurses’ personal behavior with respect to COVID-19. Previous to the coronavirus I just assumed that all nurses were rational, informed medical professionals who would naturally understand and follow public healthcare guidelines.

Now I’ve seen and heard about so many who not only fail to take action (through the very simple, free vaccination programs) to protect themselves and their families from being infected,
they pose a serious risk to patients in their care. The CNN article linked above doesn’t go into the reasons for why the nurse they interviewed didn’t get vaccinated so I’m left to make assumptions that she just didn’t believe it was important or else subscribed to political beliefs suggesting that vaccination is part of some sort of evil conspiracy.

Either way, why are health care professionals allowed to keep their jobs and licenses while cavalierly endangering their own patients? This situation has really eroded my automatic trust and respect for public facing medical professionals who may be as dangerous as any other Covid-denying, anti-vax, government-hating loons.

13 Likes

Science says I’m less likely to spread covid than those fully vacced who didn’t have covid.
I delayed for my own personal health reasons.

1 Like

Uh, no, not really. Why make assumptions/speculate at all, at least about the couple mentioned? Heck, for all we know, she may not even be a practicing nurse.

The nurse in the article @Joblue referenced hadn’t had Covid earlier before vaxes existed as you did. Your delay makes perfect sense for you and you have antibodies from your illness the do provide protection. It doesn’t make sense for her or the oodles of others who haven’t had Covid and just presume the are special snowflakes Covid won’t harm if they get it.

My mil called a friend and found out she and her husband had Covid in April. It was bad enough that the wife went to the emergency room.

When asked, they said they were planning to get their vaccines in April but hadn’t got around to it.

The husband is a retired doctor.

At this point, it’s just an excuse. People have had opportunity after opportunity to get a vaccine. I’ve know my medical group has vaccine clinics and I know they are pushing all vaccines as I’m getting them left and right lol! (Shingles, hepatitis and tetanus).

Just remember that they’ve put off something and to them it’s an excuse because they got caught. If they had not contracted Covid, they wouldn’t have to rationalize not getting the vaccine.

3 Likes

This is definitely a fallacy. There are doctors, nurses, and other medical personnel who smoke, drink/text and drive, and other such behaviors when they should know better, but in the end, they’re human just like all of us.

Superheroes exist in Hollywood, but beyond that, not really.

1 Like

Now that full approval is approaching for Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, it will be much more likely for places of employment (and public schools) to require vaccination.

5 Likes

My friend who is a nurse is very disappointed and baffled in her coworking nurses who are refusing VAX and increasing her and patients’ risk.

1 Like

And SO many of them are overweight!

Yes, but them being overweight doesn’t endanger the patients in the way refusing vaccines does.

One of my friends has an internist I really like and respect but the MD is morbidly obese, so much so that I worry about her health. I do really like the md and have her on my Board of directors of my nonprofit but can’t see her as my treating md.

I prefer my healthcare providers to try to be good role models and “walk the walk,” in having the healthy habits they want their patients to have.

Weight is not nearly as easily controlled as smoking or drinking/texting and driving. Genetics play a huge role in obesity.

3 Likes

My latest antibody test just came back positive.

4 Likes

Deleted

I am a registered nurse. The term “nurse” is a legally protected title. Yet many people call themselves nurses who do not possess a nursing license. Your doctor may very well tell you to go into room B and his “nurse” will come and take your blood pressure and other vitals. That person is actually a “medical assistant.” Nothing wrong with that, but laws are being broken when this person is referred to as a nurse. Few care, however.

Even given that, there are a disturbing number of nurses who do not possess a quality education. There are various nursing programs that just don’t provide a good education. One can attain an RN either by associates degree or Bachelor’s. It’s the same license, and yet some ADNs are better prepared than BSNs. There is no standard to tell you which nurse is actually better prepared. It’s a problem in nursing that I see no solution for - it’s very controversial and very loud voices are battling it out with no clear resolution in sight.

I know RNs who will tell you they can predict whether your baby is a boy or girl based on how high you are carrying. That is absolute nonsense, yet these “educated professionals” will bet their life on it. There are nurses who are rabid antivaxxers and will go to the mattresses spouting the completely debunked nonsense about vaccines causing autism. I really don’t know what to say about these people other than “I’m sorry.”

As to COVID, nurse behavior has reflected these issues. And therefore you will see nurses becoming infected with COVID, and dying from it. It’s truly embarrassing in my opinion.

11 Likes

I have to say that personally I would be fine if we said “you can choose to remain unvaccinated” but at the same time I’d be comfortable saying “no mass transit, no airplanes and mandatory mask wearing”.

I’m also comfortable with colleges having different rules for unvaccinated students

Choosing to not be vaccinated, is just flat out irresponsible at this point.

4 Likes

Is this an indirect way of saying that the nursing licensing exam is insufficient?