Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

“Getting back to a normal life” may not happen for a while yet. From the other thread on Schools and Coronavirus it appears that several (many?) colleges and universities are requiring indoor masking and/or testing this fall in addition to vaccination. One reason given - NEU in this case - pertains to their relatively large international population and the arrival from areas of the world where vax rates and Covid cases will vary significantly. These policies are not “across-the-board” - UChicago, for instance, just dropped their indoor mask requirement for the vaccinated - but it’s a good reminder that for many wishing “to get back to a normal life” they may have to be patient for a bit longer, even if they and most everyone around them have been vaccinated.

I am surprised that Olympic athletes who prepare all their life to compete in this event, didn’t get vaccinated. We don’t have all information to conclude that it was not a breakthrough case, but given the fact that most of vaccine administered in US are highly effective and this is a healthy individual with good immune system chances are the athlete was not vaccinated. Report - U.S. women's gymnastics alternate Kara Eaker tests positive for COVID-19 ahead of Tokyo Olympics

Thank you for thinking about what I said and responding in a considerate way that shows you care.

Since serological testing ordered by my primary shows I still have immunity, I don’t feel like I am playing Russian roulette. If my immunity were to wane, that would change things, of course.

4 Likes

Didn’t read everything, very long, however, I am on other forums where these threads get shut down quickly. The posters get aggressive, insulting, and contemptuous, and it is usually those who believe faithfully in the vaccine and blame those who don’t get it as being the cause of someone’s death.

Covid-19 kills people, the ones responsible for Covid-19 outbreak, and it is looking more and more like China and the Wuhan lab starting this plague on our planet, are the ones responsible for any death that comes from it.

I am vaccinated, my high risk son, and my youngest daughter who had cancer have all had the vaccine. Husband isn’t, oldest daughter isn’t and several friends and family don’t plan on getting it.

What I would like to know, if anyone has the answer, is if those who get Covid, after being vaccinated, can they pass it on to others? DH has been on leave twice now due to being exposed to someone who was fully vaccinated, but tested positive for Covid. He was required to stay home for 14 days.

There isn’t good data as to whether vaccinated people who get a breakthrough infection can transmit the virus. We just don’t know, especially with Delta. The greater the symptoms the infected vaccinated person experiences, the greater the viral load, so maybe greater risk of transmission.

Why won’t your husband and daughter, who live with two at risk family members get vaccinated? I would certainly isolate either from the family if they get exposed.

Some health leaders believe with the transmissibility of Delta that most unvaccinated people will ultimately get infected. I would also get your D with a history of cancer tested to see if she has antibodies post vaccination.

Lastly, we do not know the origination of the virus. Last I heard Dr. Fauci address this, he still says it was likely not from the lab (but he doesn’t know for sure).

6 Likes

I got first dose and had bad symptoms. Went to work 3 days after vaccine. Had a student email me this weekend saying they had body aches, nausea and headache which are some of the symptoms I had with the vaccine.

Most recent information: WHO and intelligence officials are looking more closely at the lab-leak theory as it gains credibility as a possible explanation for the pandemic. This doesn’t mean the virus came from a lab. It does mean that the lab theory can’t be ruled out and is looking more likely than it was earlier, when it was wholly discounted.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/16/politics/biden-intel-review-covid-origins/index.html

4 Likes

Every single person in our family, except me, have worked from the onset of Covid-19. They were all considered “essential”. Everyone my youngest worked with tested positive, she never did, my oldest worked in a nursing/rehab facility. It went through there like wildfire, she had been exposed to many of them. The vaccine came there 2 weeks too late.

All of our friends, and many family members, were essential workers during this. We continued to see them all through the pandemic. My grandson was in daycare, and there was exposure there as well. Most could not get vaccines, and by the time they rolled around, everybody just felt they probably had been exposed to it already. Still many got the vaccine and quite a few didn’t.

I know back in January of 2020, I was so very sick. Started with a sore throat, then a dry hacking cough, high fever, body aches and a pounding headache. Could barely get out of bed and was sick for a good 10 days. SIL had same thing, as did a dear friend of mine. DD as well had a milder reaction around that time as well.

With all the exposure so many of us have had, we might have all just got lucky, but then again, maybe at some point we had already been exposed and developed immunity.

Either case, there are reasons some aren’t getting it and that is their choice, and I am fine with it. I will also add, my DH is opposed to it on many levels but the aborted fetal cells component is huge.

Yes, I know the pope has made a statement, but for many Catholics, he is not well thought of and they wouldn’t do so just because he said this.

1 Like

Is he continuing to practice social distancing, masking, etc. as needed to minimize the chance of being a virus vector?

Point 5 in https://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20201221_nota-vaccini-anticovid_en.html says that “Those who, however, for reasons of conscience, refuse vaccines produced with cell lines from aborted fetuses, must do their utmost to avoid, by other prophylactic means and appropriate behavior, becoming vehicles for the transmission of the infectious agent. In particular, they must avoid any risk to the health of those who cannot be vaccinated for medical or other reasons, and who are the most vulnerable.”

6 Likes

How did you feel after the three days regarding side effects? Better, sort of, or not really? Any issues with clotting?

FWIW, I’m genuinely curious for my own personal data bank of anecdotes. I fully realize this is a nasty virus and while I’m 100% Team Vaccine to try to help, I know it’s not a perfect solution.

I had fever over 101.4 for 2 days. Day 3 hovered between 99-100.1. Vomiting for 24 hours.Nausea for 3 days. Rigors for 24 hours.

While short lived, it was miserable.

The origins of the virus certainly set us on the path for all the death and illness and can ultimately be blamed (as can our previous president’s refusal to take things seriously), but it doesn’t absolve individual irresponsibility and a cavalier attitude that can, indeed, result in further death and illness.

Someone who isn’t vaccinated and doesn’t take precautions to protect themselves and others can certainly be responsible for illness and death.

[Macmiracle doesn’t fall into that category because they are taking precautions.]

4 Likes

And then back to normal as pre-vax?

Regardless, sending hugs for what you put up with and thanks for doing it to try to help out. It had to have been a tough call with what you’d experienced.

I was born during the pontificate of John XXIII. Every pope within my lifetime has been “not well thought of” by some subset of Catholics.

Fortunately, a Catholic needn’t rely on the example of this particular pope to discern whether to take one of the Covid vaccines. The Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith - which, by the way, was around prior to Francis and will continue to be around after he is no longer pope - was apparently unusually quick in issuing their statement (linked and referenced many times already so no need to do so again), and they serve as a much needed competent moral authority on the issue. The US Conference of Catholic Bishops chairman of the Committee on Doctrine and the USCCB chairman of the Committee on Pro Life Activities - both of whom are bishops with teaching authority in their respective dioceses - have provided clarity on J&J and vaccines in general. While J&J is a definite moral problem and Catholics are advised to choose another vaccine if they are able to, the two chairmen made the (IMO) quite strong statement in favor of vaccination, saying it "can be an act of charity that serves the common good.”

These statements aren’t mere whim or opinion. Unfortunately, Francis speaks very publicly off-the-cuff many times about hot-button issues - it’s part of his personal style and his Jesuit-inspired love of discussing tough questions at the expense of prudence, IMO - and that has confused and even angered many Catholics. He can seem to be going off whim or personal opinion, or even political ideology. But the Catholic Church was around before Pope Francis, Francis hasn’t said or done anything in this manner to contradict the Catholic Church’s moral competence in this area, and the vaccine is not only morally acceptable but may well be an act of charity (and charity, as Catholics are supposed to know, is the queen of all virtues). Catholics are encouraged to follow their conscience - but not their personal preferences. And they need to understand what an informed conscience is, and how to separate it from personal feelings.

1 Like

Time will tell if this helps. It’s a start.

11 Likes

@Creekland Still having some increased palpitations and insomnia again. Neuropathy flared for about 5 days but now about back to my “abnormal normal”.

I’m confused by the reluctance to get vaccines because of use of aborted fetal cells. The J and J uses them, but Moderna and Pfizer do not contain any material derived from them.

Also, it’s generally agreed that antibodies from a case of Covid do not convey as much immunity as the vaccine does, as witnessed by the common-ness of people getting it more than once. Breakthrough can occur with vaccines, but it’s not nearly as common.

2 Likes

I hope it settles down soon and you get back to feeling pretty-covid good.

Thank you for sharing about the palpitations because that has been on my mind as a vaccine side effect I need to be careful about.

I have a history of POTS which may be autoimmune mediated. I used to have episodes of tachycardia with my heart rate in the 160s to 170s. It was very debilitating with the weakness, dizziness, fatigue and other weird symptoms that went along with it. Since I heard that people are getting tachycardia as a vaccine side effect, I got nervous about that being triggered all over again. People say the risk that would be worse with an actual covid infection but I never had any issues with the covid infection that I know of. So at this point I have some fear about doing something to trigger a problem where I already have a known weakness and causing a real set back.

I think I’m going to talk to my PC or maybe my cardiologist about a game plan if I should get palpitations after the vaccine. It would be helpful to know when to brush it off and when I would need to do something.

Have you been talking to your doctor about your side effects?

I did see my doc a few months post covid and that’s when we did the CT chest to rule out another pulmonary embolism. I saw pulmonology for the scarring found in my lungs. They wanted me to do pulmonary function tests but I declined them. I truly feel my issues are more cardiac than lungs at this point. I’m waiting till fall to continue testing. My medical bills are still quite high.

IIRC there’s a thread upstream that said something about Modena and Pfizer using cells derived from abortions during the trial phase. I’ll see if I can find the info.