Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

This is a new type of vaccine. Is there a study that says it doesn’t? Or just what doctors think as of now?

I’ve had the vaccine. So have all my kids. I do worry about possible long term effects but not enough to opt out of vaccination. But I can also appreciate why others have concerns.

3 Likes

This type of vaccine has been studied in many years. Again, what is the mechanism that make vaccines cause infertility?

No medical expert here - but I know quite a few of them who have had their teen daughters vaccinated. I’m banking on them understanding the mechanism better than I could, and apparently they don’t believe it’s the least risky to fertility. There’s a ton of good literature on this topic, but sometimes you can remove the noise and uncertainty just by looking to see what action competent authority has actually taken, not just what they’ve written about it.

Not my job to know that. Why didn’t clotting or myocarditis or Covid arm show up as side effects in the trials? Why did my friend have numb spots on the back of her skull for days after her vaccine? Why have thousands of people reported a myriad of side effects they experienced? Coincidence? Maybe? Glad that you didn’t experience any side effects. Although your experience is just another ancedote that may or may not be relevant.

1 Like

And the people whose job is to know that disagree with your fantasies.

No, they didn’t, because they are extremely rare. If you test on ten thousand people, you can’t find something that happens once in few million cases.

So, has anybody reported fertility issues? Are you worrying about issues that will give you superpowers? After all, everything is possible, right?

2 Likes

“None of the currently available COVID-19 vaccines reach or cross the placenta. The intramuscularly administered vaccine mRNA remains in the deltoid muscle cell cytoplasm for just a few days before it is destroyed.10,11 However, protective antibodies to COVID19 have been shown to cross the placenta and confer protection to the baby after delivery.12,13
• COVID19 vaccination does not induce antibodies against the placenta.14
• Existing data suggest COVID19 vaccination during pregnancy does not increase risk of miscarriage.15
• COVID19 vaccination does not impact male or female fertility or fertility treatment outcomes.16-18
REFERENCES

1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. COVID Data Tracker Weekly Review. Available at COVID Data Tracker Weekly Review | CDC, last accessed July 2021.
  2. Rochelle Walensky. July 16,2021 Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials. Accessible at ttps://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/press-briefings/2021/07/16/press-briefing-by-white-house-covid- 19-response-team-and-public-health-officials-45/, last accessed July 2021.
  3. Allison Aubrey. 97% Of People Entering Hospitals For COVID-19 Are Unvaccinated. National Public Radio July 16, 2021. Available at 97% Of People Entering Hospitals For COVID-19 Are Unvaccinated : NPR, last accessed July 2021.
  4. Johnson CK, Stobbe M. Nearly all COVID deaths in US are now among unvaccinated. Associated Press June 29, 2021. Available at https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health- 941fcf43d9731c76c16e7354f5d5e187, last accessed July 2021.
  5. Keating D, Shapiro L. For unvaccinated, coronavirus is soaring again. Washington Post July 21, 2021. Available at https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/unvaccinated-case-rate-delta-surge/, last accessed July 2021.
  6. Razzaghi H, Meghani M, Pingali C, Crane B, Naleway A, Weintraub E, et al. COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage Among Pregnant Women During Pregnancy — Eight Integrated Health Care Organizations, United States, December 14, 2020–May 8, 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2021;70:895–9.
  7. Zambrano LD, Ellington S, Strid P, Galang RR, Oduyebo T, Tong VT, et al. Update: Characteristics of Symptomatic Women of Reproductive Age with Laboratory-Confirmed SARS-CoV-2 Infection by Pregnancy Status — United States, January 22–October 3, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2020;69:1641–7.
  8. Villar J, Ariff S, Gunier R, Thiruvengadam R, Rauch S, Kholin A, et al. Maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality among pregnant women with and without COVID-19 infection. The INTERCOVID Multinational Cohort Study. JAMA Pediatr. Published online April 22, 2021. Available at Maternal and Neonatal Morbidity and Mortality Among Pregnant Women With and Without COVID-19 Infection, last accessed July 2021.
  9. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Infectious Diseases Society of America. COVID-19 Realtime Learning Website. Vaccines FAQ, mRNA vaccines. Available at https://www.idsociety.org/covid-19-real-time- learning-network/vaccines/vaccines-information–faq/, last accessed July 2021.
  10. Pardi N, Tuyishimea S, Muramatsua H, Karikoa K, Muib BL, Tamb YK, et al. Expression kinetics of nucleoside- modified mRNA delivered in lipid nanoparticles to mice by various routes. J Controlled Release 2015;217:345-51. Available at Expression kinetics of nucleoside-modified mRNA delivered in lipid nanoparticles to mice by various routes - PMC, last accessed July 2021.
  11. Gray KJ, Bordt EA, Atyeo C, Deriso E, Akinwunmi B, Young N et al. Coronavirus disease 2019 vaccine response in pregnant and lactating women: a cohort study. Am J Obstet Gynecol Gynecology. Published online March 2021, available at Coronavirus disease 2019 vaccine response in pregnant and lactating women: a cohort study - American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, last accessed July 2021.
  12. Beharier O, Mayo RP, Raz T, Sacks KN, Schreiber L, Suissa-Cohen Y, et al. Efficient maternal to neonatal transfer of antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 and BNT162b2 mRNA COVID-19 vaccine. J Clin Invest 2021;131:e150319. Available at https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI150319, last accessed July 2021.
  13. 9. UCSF Aspire. Assessing the Safety of Pregnancy In the CoRonavirus PandEmic, Unpublished data. Available at https://aspire.ucsf.edu, last accessed July 2021.

Shanes ED, Otero S, Mithal LB, Mupanomunda CA, Miller ES, Goldstein JA, et al. Severe Acute Respiratory
    Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Vaccination in Pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. Published online July 08, 2021.

Available at
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)... : Obstetrics & Gynecology .aspx, last accessed July 2021.
15. Shimabukuro TT, Kim SY, Myers TR, Moro PL, Oduyebi T, Panagiotakopoulos L, et al. Preliminary Findings of mRNA Covid-19 Vaccine Safety in Pregnant Persons. N Engl J Med 2021;384:2273-82.
16. Gonzalez DC, Nassau DE, Khodamoradi K, Ibrahim E, Blachman-Braun R, Ory J, et al. Sperm parameters before and after COVID-19 mRNA vaccination. JAMA 2021;326:273-4.
17. Morris RS. 2021 SARS-CoV-2 spike protein seropositivity from vaccination or infection does not cause sterility. Fertil Steril Reports. Available online June 2, 2021. Available at SARS-CoV-2 spike protein seropositivity from vaccination or infection does not cause sterility - ScienceDirect, last accessed July 2021.
18. Orvieto R, Segev-Zahav A, Aizer A. Does COVID-19 infection influence patients’ performance during IVF-ET cycle?: an observational study. Gynecol Endocrinol. Published online May 11, 2021. Available at Does COVID-19 infection influence patients' performance during IVF-ET cycle?: an observational study - PubMed, last accessed July 2021. “

9 Likes

I appreciate you sharing that information. In reading one of the studies the following was part of the report’s discussion and might shed light on why there is/was a fertility concern:

On December 1, 2020, the former head of respiratory research of Pfizer filed an application to the European Medicine Agency calling for the immediate suspension of all SARS-CoV-2 vaccine studies (2). One of the concerns laid out in the application was “infertility of indefinite duration in vaccinated women.” However, the theoretical danger was not because of the vaccine per se, but from the subsequent production of antibodies against the virus spike protein and their cross-reaction with syncytin-1. Why this would be different than the antibodies produced from natural infection was never explained.

Once the concern is raised and shared, just saying it’s not true doesn’t eradicate the problem.

Likewise, this is pretty wishy-washy language. Existing data suggest COVID19 vaccination during pregnancy does not increase risk of miscarriage. Not exactly definitive.

@tarator Sarcasm isn’t persuasive…but keep trying since you seem to think it is.

I’d also add, I don’t require convincing. I and my entire family been fully vaccinated since April. But the tone of some of the posters here is outright rude, dismissive, sarcastic and obnoxious.

4 Likes

The only “danger” I see is that the thread might get shut down if the conversation deteriorates.

All pro-vaxxers please take a break overnight to cool down.

2 Likes

Who is the “we” and “our” in your quote? Scientists and doctors? Or is it actually those who politicized the very basic science that is involved in reducing and finally ending a pandemic? Hmmmm…tough choice.

B/t/w, it’s not a “fear of death”, it’s the reality of death from Covid. And that was before the Delta variant. You do get that, right?

And, based on your philosophy, the 1918 pandemic made folks back then “suck”? Of course people born just after this were the “greatest generation” that won WW II. Or perhaps those folks alive during the 1918 pandemic had no “fear of death”?

You lose me somewhere in all of that.

That is a fascinating belief.

Even based on your “porous border” theory, if everyone in the US had been vaccinated on the same day, my understanding is that the virus would have nowhere to go except those coming through our “porous borders.” That number would be so small in relation to the US population that issues like transmission rates and the ability for the virus to mutate would be very, very small.

But I guess I “suck” because I care about my family and my fellow person which you equate to a “fear of death”, right?

7 Likes

IMHO, the conversation deteriorated long ago with unsubstantiated theories.

3 Likes

It’s past that point. Temporarily closing until tonight. I’ll be cleaning up in on interim and will advise users to review ToS.

If I finish earlier, I will reopen on very slow mode.

4 Likes

I have cleaned up the thread as best I can from the overnight debacle. However, despite several attempts to suggest users take a breath, the unacceptable debate continued. So while I have reopened the thread, it is in slow mode until tonight, at which time I will reassess. To reiterate: College Confidential is not a debate society. If the conversation isn’t constructive, refrain from engaging repeatedly with any single user.

2 Likes

I, for one, would not be unhappy if you just closed this thread :smiley:

4 Likes

Above my pay grade. :grin:

2 Likes

I find this funny, but the vaccination rate at my place of work is 76%. As an incentive if we reach 80% we will all receive a free T-Shirt.
I can’t imagine people who are reluctant to get the vaccine will now get it for a T Shirt.

1 Like

It turns out that one thing that can increase vaccination rates is a spike in infections and serious illness locally. Vaccinations are going up in hotspots in SW Missouri, Alabama, etc.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/30/vaccination-increases-states-delta-surges/

3 Likes

Quite the contrary. Fears are being shared and credible reasons for less fear is also being shared. Sure beats the fears increasing and spreading by keeping them stifled.

Only putting this in the same thread as the above comment because of slow mode… but quite honestly, when humans are expecting something the brain can conjure something up to fit expectations. It’s how the placebo effect works, but the brain’s ability to do things goes well beyond the placebo effect and it’s not always in a positive direction.

Humans can bomb tests when they think they are going to. They can have headaches when they think they are going to. They can get better when they think they are going to and all of these simply because they believe they are going to, not any sort of actual cause.

Our body/brain connection is an amazing thing - the whole study of Cognitive Science is an amazing thing. It’s not just me musing over such things - plenty of research is being done on it in top “name” facilities. For some, even going to a doctor’s office can make them better - all because they think they should be getting better.

So, take a new vaccine with a lot of fear and “what ifs” about it. If someone thinks they are going to have a bad time with it, for some people (not all), the brain can conjure up things to happen - things that truly are real to the person - but it’s not necessarily the vaccine that caused it. It was their fear of the vaccine. They could have been given a placebo and had the same reaction if they thought it was the vaccine.

When medical people are looking into these things they are looking for things that exist and can be seen/quantified - proven that the vaccine caused it and not fear or natural day to day things (some people have heart attacks, strokes, and odd menstrual cycles every single day even without a vaccine).

FWIW, in every single incident I’ve seen listed so far, the risk with Covid is greater than the risk of the vaccine, making it a no brainer that people should opt for the vaccine in almost all cases.

I’ve said before that my medical boy’s GF works in the hospital with people recovering from Covid before they can leave. This can take days, occasionally months, and not all make it out alive due to other things that happen quite possibly started from their having Covid since the issues weren’t around (for them) before. Not one single person is in there recovering from effects of the vaccine. It’s a large health system.

5 Likes

Maybe that’s what happened to Jill when she was in Hawaii?!