Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Worth noting that the study that JBStillFlying posted included people who had only had one shot in the vaccinated cohorts. I have no idea why the researchers made that choice but since the vaccine manufacturers themselves say two vaccines are required, and it doesn’t appear that they separated out how many subjects only had one shot in each of the cohorts, I’m not sure we can draw conclusions on which shot is “better” from their report.

4 Likes

Sounds like a flawed study if it used people who aren’t 2+ weeks past final covid VAX.

Also, in case you are thinking about going out and getting a Moderna shot to top off whatever protection you already have, do note that Moderna has tested a 1/2 dose as a booster, not an additional full dose shot.

I do think we will need boosters for all the shots going into the winter for older and sicker folks especially.

Sorry - I didn’t mean to offend anyone or get political at all. I just genuinely don’t understand some people. :smile:

Actually, they seem to have started with that larger data set (at least one shot) but used fully vaxed to establish breakthrough, as that definition involves being two weeks or longer past your 2nd dose:

"To determine vaccine effectiveness, they matched demographically and “clinically similar” unvaccinated, Moderna-vaccinated, and Pfizer-vaccinated individuals by sex, race, ethnicity, state of residence, SARS-CoV-2 PCR testing history, and date of vaccination, yielding 43,895 “matched triples.”

Clinical outcomes of interest included SARS-CoV-2 infection, COVID-associated hospitalization, ICU admission, mortality, and breakthrough infection (defined as infection occurring at least 14 days after the second dose of mRNA vaccine)."

1 Like

It seems like it would be good to have the actual study reviewed and released, not just this preprint. The inclusion of one dose folks then not putting them in pairs seems odd at the least. But maybe it makes sense in the context of the whole research project. I just have seen way too many studies make a splash and not hold up under review to get very excited about any pre-peer review.

Anti-vax nurse with sociopathic tendencies?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/suspected-saline-switch-sparks-vaccine-stir-germany-2021-08-10/

To be clear, the Mayo Clinic data set they accessed includes those with at least one shot of the vax:

"In the current study, Soundararajan and co-authors examined adults in the Mayo Clinic Health System or affiliated hospitals in Minnesota, Arizona, Florida, Iowa, and Wisconsin with at least one PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 who received at least one dose of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine after Dec. 1, 2020 but before July 29, 2021, and who did not test positive prior to receiving their first vaccine dose.
Overall, 119,463 patients met this criteria for the Pfizer vaccine, and 60,083 met this criteria for Moderna, the authors said."

This does not mean they only used those with one shot of either mRNA vaccine to establish vaccine effectiveness. In fact, they used data of the fully vaxed to establish breakthrough, as I posted earlier. Consistency is key, so they should hopefully use the same methods to establish VE as was established in the clinical trials and real-time data from the past several months. Are there ambiguous definitions of VE floating around for these mRNA vaccines?

It would be great to have these studies peer reviewed as quickly as possible. All this is unfolding in real-time so we have a lot of results early on. Even CDC is publishing recommendations w/o having their work peer-reviewed, as we know.

According to the story, she was an antivaxxer. The question is whether she truly believes that the vaccine causes harm, and thought that she was helping these people, or maybe she is not sure, but is also a sociopath, so she was willing to risk the lives of these elderly people to try and prove her point.

The wife of an anti-mask, anti-vaxxer state representative in Maine passed away today. They were both hospitalized a few weeks ago. He recovered, she didn’t. While I’m sorry for her husband’s loss, I’m furious that he used his position to try to convince people not to get vaccinated. He endangered not only himself and his wife, but a lot of other people. :frowning:

16 Likes

What is the name of the state representative?

I wonder if he is regretful or still convinced of his position.

I hope they throw her butt in jail.

5 Likes

for what reason?

I think you need to read the article. This healthcare worker injected high risk patients with saline solution instead of vaccine. The patients were unaware and specifically wanted to be vaccinated.

That is criminal I would think regardless of your views on masks, mandates and vaccines.

12 Likes

Pick one: Nursing-Related Crimes: Felonies and Misdemeanors - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com

6 Likes

You seriously think she shouldn’t be punished for injecting saline instead of the vaccines people were supposed to get? That boggles my mind.

I would hope any medical person would be punished for not doing what is supposed to be being done, esp in life or death situations.

6 Likes

Never mind, I found it. I saw her Facebook page. Even after she said she was very sick and
had fainted in her garage and that her husband was also ill, her friends kept commenting that maybe it was just from the heat, telling her to take vitamins, and “definitely don’t get the vaccine!”

On her profile picture, it says “I don’t care if you’ve had your vaccine.”

SMH…didn’t have to happen.

2 Likes

Oh wow…I’m sorry, I was reading from my phone and didn’t see the attached article! Wow…she needs to rot in jail!

Oh wow…I’m sorry, I was reading from my phone and didn’t see the attached article! Wow…she needs to rot in jail!

1 Like

Oh…sorry. I responded below. I was reading from my phone and didn’t see the attached article! Wow…she needs to rot in jail!

That’s horrible and thankfully none of her “victims” died from covid!

1 Like