Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Here you go:

3 Likes

That’s pathetic. You have real doctors willing to treat Ebola and so many other deadly and contagious diseases. I guess taking an oath doesn’t matter anymore. " treat the sick to the best of one’s ability" He needs to reevaluate his career choice.

4 Likes

Doctors swear an oath to “do no harm”, not treat every possible patient - no matter what type of conscious risk that person may be willing to take with their own (and other’s health).

Many pediatric practices have had “no unvaccinated patients” for decades
this isn’t a new type of restriction and doctors are allowed to judged their willingness to engage in contagions that have vaccines some are not willing to take.

Non-vaccinated is not a protected class, it’s a class others need protection from.

20 Likes

The title of that article is misleading. The physician won’t allow unvaccinated patients (for covid) be part of his practice
they aren’t currently sick with covid and he’s refusing to treat them. They just have to choose another physician for their healthcare. This is not uncommon in pediatrics.

7 Likes

What about kids under 12
not eligible yet?

2 Likes

CDC haven’t announced boosters yet. Why do you expect subbstance if nothing is announced?

1 Like

Yes, they will see that adults needlessly exposed them to a deadly virus, that adults told them to share with others and to take care of others while the same adults prioritized their own comfort and convenience over the health and lives of the most vulnerable people. The kids will see that while adults were teaching the kids to ask nicely and accept when they are told “no”, the same adults were throwing destructive tantrums because these adults were told that they needed to help vulnerable people.

Yes, the pandemic traumatized kids. However, it could also have been a teaching moment in which we taught kids the importance of self-sacrifice to help others. Instead, adults taught their kids that self sacrifice is bad, and that the one should only help others when there is a government mandate forcing them to do so.

One of the reasons that kids suffered so much during the pandemic is that adults refused to be adults. THAT is the real reason that so much of a burden was put on kids - because so many adults were behaving like toddlers, refusing to do anything that they didn’t feel like doing.

It wasn’t the masks, and treating masks as though they are some terrible traumatizing thing is beyond ludicrous.

12 Likes

Last week when announcing the recommendation that immune compromised people receive a booster the CDC included the following on their website:

What are the risks of vaccinating individuals with an additional dose?

“There is limited information about the risks of receiving an additional dose of vaccine, and the safety, efficacy, and benefit of additional doses of COVID-19 vaccine in immunocompromised people continues to be evaluated.”

Those comments remain on the QA of the CDC website as of today.

I would hope that if now less then a week later they are recommending that all Pfizer and Moderna vaccine recipients get a booster they offer explicit detail as to what has changed and or what data was received. Additionally, I would hope that they could be more specific and detailed beyond just describing the risk factors as “limited information”.

I would think that’s reasonable and should be readily available to anyone being asked to roll up their sleeves.

2 Likes

He said he doesn’t want to treat unvaccinated because covid is a horrible way to die??!!! Has he ever treated anyone with cancer? I lost a few close family members to cancer and I cannot imagine anything worse. Months and years of pain and suffering!!

Reading this made me sick. What is a “good” way to die? Cancer? MS? COPD? Stroke? Diabetes? hmmm
maybe Alzheimer’s??

I would never want a “doctor” like him!

2 Likes

Off track, but having lost my dad to a heart attack and my mom to cancer, I’m voting heart attack if I can’t go peacefully in my sleep some other way.

I also lost an uncle to Covid. It’s shorter length than cancer, but equally horrid at the end IMO. I was with my mom at the end and heard my aunt’s telling of being with my uncle at the end.

I like intelligent doctors who are willing to take a stand for health causes they believe in. A couple of them turned another uncle down as a patient because he wouldn’t quit smoking. That uncle is in horrible shape now, so I get it. There are things one can do to help themselves, but if they won’t do it it’s gotta be frustrating to try to help treat them.

1 Like

In this case, a good way to die is any way that isn’t easily avoided by simple, obvious and easy measures.

7 Likes

Nelson Rockefeller style.

Why do you think that there will be any further risks? I really don’t understand the logic behind these fears?

I took it as him wanting to protect his staff and his other patients from someone who could possibly infect them. I commend him for that. And it IS a terrible way to die, when the preventative measures are sitting right there in front of their face.

8 Likes

I assume this was directed in response to me?

I don’t have a predisposition to expect further risk, but before putting something into my body I would like to understand the science. A simple explanation of the risks and rewards. I repeat this is what the CDC currently says

What are the risks of vaccinating individuals with an additional dose?

“There is limited information about the risks of receiving an additional dose of vaccine, and the safety, efficacy, and benefit of additional doses of COVID-19 vaccine in immunocompromised people continues to be evaluated.”

And what they say are the benefits

What are the benefits of people receiving an additional vaccine dose?

CDC recommends the additional dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine be administered at least four weeks (28 days) after a second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccineor Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.

If they have an assessment of risk/reward publicize it, if not why are you making the recommendation.

I will once again be the first to step up to get a booster if I can understand the science, just as I did when told 96% effective with modest risk of soreness and fever for my two initial shots.

Thankfully I don’t follow advice blindly or I would have consumed Clorox per our ex president’s recommendation. Data or a statement on risk reward are the least we should expect from the CDC when they are globalizing a recommendation that was extremely narrow a week ago and non existent 2 weeks ago.

I really don’t understand the logic of not being inquisitive and demanding to be informed.

1 Like

you can say the same for lung cancer
do doctors stop seeing patients who smoke? I think this is a dangerous and unethical precedent.

2 Likes

If you have lung cancer, it can’t metastasize outside your body and infiltrate someone else’s tissue. There’s no comparison.

20 Likes

I expect once the formal recommendation is made for a booster for all, CDC/FDA will make data public. Meanwhile here is some information, one just needs to fire up their Google machine to be able to find data supporting boosters (even though it’s not yet the full detailed data set). Booster will need EUA submission/approval.

Pfizer gave FDA full Phase I data set from booster trial the other day:

Snippet of said data on slide 25 here: https://s21.q4cdn.com/317678438/files/doc_financials/2021/q2/Q2-2021-Earnings-Charts-FINAL.pdf

CDC has also compiled data on their own, which suggests boosters are needed, data not yet public. Troubling CDC vaccine data convinced Biden team to back booster shots - POLITICO

CDC/FDA/NIH are closely following Israel’s covid situation. Data there suggest waning efficacy for Pfizer’s vaccine. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/16/us/politics/booster-shots.html

Good FAQs re: Israel booster initiative in English: https://govextra.gov.il/ministry-of-health/covid19-vaccine/en-covid-19-vaccine-3rd-dose/

Israeli data, unfortunately in Hebrew: https://www.gov.il/en/departments/news/29072021-04

2 Likes

I have zero problem with a doctor refusing to treat unvaccinated patients.

-Is it ethical to willingly allow a person into a waiting room who can possibly infect others with a deadly or disabling disease?
-Why should a doctor risk his own health when it is very clear that this disease is highly transmissible? If he can mitigate that risk by refusing an unvaccinated patient, then he should do so. He needs to stay healthy to help other patients.
-A doctor is obliged to “do no harm.” That also means not allowing harmful people in the vicinity of innocent people who have done the right thing.
-A doctor must have faith in science. A doctor must stay up to date on the latest developments and research. To willfully ignore those things is a violation of his duty as a doctor. His job is to keep people healthy, and if that means keeping away those who refuse to be vaccinated to protect themselves and others, then so be it.
-Scenarios about cancer, etc
don’t apply here because cancer isn’t contagious. People don’t choose to get cancer, but when you CHOOSE to refuse a vaccine that can prevent a contagious disease, you also CHOOSE to unwittingly spread it to others. You make that choice. You can live with the consequences, but unfortunately, others also have to live with the consequences of a CHOICE you made for them.

19 Likes

No it’s not. When we suspected one of our kids had a bad case of chicken pox, they wanted to see him but asked that we call from the parking lot
not enter their waiting room. They came to us.

The office had the same policy with things like measles, shingles, etc.

6 Likes