Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

My point is - this doctor is claiming to not want to treat unvaxxed due to covid being a horrible death - so what about the other horrible deaths like cancer etc?? As I listed in a prior post. (many other horrible types of death)

last I checked covid has a much higher survival rate than cancer!

And he is not refusing covid patients - he is refusing unvaxxed patients who are coming to him for other reasons. Did doctors refuse aids/HIV patients before we knew all the facts about how it spreads? what a horrible human being.

I have two uncles who are doctors - they are appalled by this “doctor’s” decision. Pales in comparison to the amazing doctor’s who rushed in to help Ebola patients.

Probably the last time I’m commenting on this “delayed” type of feed.

3 Likes

Absolutely, this is not a hard concept to understand. I’m tired of posting, “It’s not rocket science.” I could copy and paste that about 10 times a day on Facebook, not that it would do any good.

3 Likes

Good. They might have other reasons, but they can still spread disease and they CHOSE that possibility.

7 Likes

I am always extremely amazed by people that believe that they can “understand the science” in an area that is not their expertise.

As a scientist I NEVER expect to understand fields that are far from my own. And it is always fun to listen to people that “understand the science” explain my own field to me. :slight_smile:

What happened to the intellectual humility? When did everybody start understanding everything?

7 Likes

Actually quite the opposite. That is why I don’t just Google and hope to be informed.

I look to the government and CDC to use their vast resources to analyze and inform.

I am not sure why you are being hostile to someone that just wants to be provided in layman’s terms the risks and rewards of a CDC recommendation from the CDC.

“What happened to the intellectual humility?”

As a scientist do you just blindly follow the advice of your financial advisor or not ask the mechanic working on your car to describe their efforts? Sorry but I don’t think asking for information suggest arrogance.

I wonder if this particular doctor is also requiring PCR tests before seeing vaccinated patients? I ask this because the vaccinated individuals, such as myself, can also catch , carry and transmit covid. Especially since delta has come on the scene, anyone can really still spread it. If he’s worried about his practice and his patients maybe that should be his plan.

6 Likes

I have often thought this myself. Thank you for saying this. If someone’s car broke down, I wouldn’t argue with a mechanic. To argue with people who understand science makes you: 1) look ignorant, 2) look selfish, 3) well, bottom of the intellectual intelligence scale.

4 Likes

Some do. As a personal anecdote that I mentioned before, an uncle of mine smokes. When he was having health issues from it at least two doctors told him there was nothing more they could do for him if he wouldn’t quit. He didn’t quit. They quit seeing him.

But as others have said, smoking isn’t contagious nor is any form of cancer, heart disease, or whatever. Covid is - as are other diseases we vaccinate against like measles, etc. If doctors don’t want to see patients who refuse vaccinations it makes sense. They don’t want to expose themselves, their staff, other patients, and more from something people could have tried to prevent.

In hospitals when people (doctors, nurses, techs) are treating Covid they are completely suited up. Ditto when treating Ebola or other major contagions. Not true seeing typical patients in an office (or cancer, heart disease, smoking, etc)

Medical boy knows many who completely understand his decision - and others who don’t care. Time will tell if more opt to do that or not - as with pediatricians who send anti-vaxers elsewhere. It’s how some choose to run their practice. He hasn’t mentioned any who are appalled.

There are doctors who do not accept patients with Medicare or who have no insurance.

Blockquote
Some physicians will not treat certain individuals or classes of patients. Perhaps the most common restriction is refusing to treat patients involved in accidents that will lead to litigation. Some physicians refuse to treat attorneys. Many obstetricians refuse to treat a pregnant woman who first seeks care after the sixth month of pregnancy. These decisions are shortsighted in a competitive market and ethically questionable in a market where they may make it difficult for the affected persons to obtain care; but they are not illegal.

https://biotech.law.lsu.edu/books/lbb/x220.htm

And some doctors won’t accept patients who are not vaccinated for Covid.

It wouldn’t surprise me to se more of this, at least in the short term while the pandemic rages.

3 Likes

I have a hard time understanding the outrage about a doctor’s decision not to see treat folks who have chosen to be unvaccinated for issues other than COVID. Even in hospitals, there are interviews with docs and nurses who are treating the unvaxxed and feel little empathy.

I run a consulting firm and occasionally get clients who are willing to pay our fees but because of organizational politics or CEO incentives or other reasons don’t take the steps that they need to take. We have fired them as clients because we judge ourselves in terms of effect.

And these clients don’t infect my other clients or my team. I think it is an easy call given the potential effects of the unvaccinated client on the waiting room, the staff and the doc. When the unvaxxed patient gets COVID, hospitals have to treat them (if ICUs are not at 150% of capacity).

Are there any studies that compare the probability of getting the Delta Variant if unvaxxed versus if vaxxed?

I wonder if any doctor has made such an announcement about no longer treating smokers. Lung Cancer/Emphysema/Heart Disease are also miserable ways to die, and no doctor wants to watch their patients die like that.

1 Like

I am predisposed to want to get the booster and hardly trying to “sow doubt” by asking for a simple description of benefits and potential risks from the CDC.

I respect your willingness to trust others without inquiring to understand the basis of their views but I am dissimilar. Specific to financial expertise I think any decision should be made with the investor being fully aware and informed. While I take you at your word I suspect the vast majority of people ask their financial advisors for the risk vs reward when investing.

Asking questions and looking to be informed is not the same as arguing or arrogance. Actually demanding that one isn’t questioned and a presumption that others are incapable of understanding a personal area of expertise is the very definition of arrogance.

It is particularly ironic that various posters are shouting down and insulting personally those seeking information by suggesting only “experts” should have a platform on College Confidential

“To argue with people who understand science makes you: 1) look ignorant, 2) look selfish, 3) well, bottom of the intellectual intelligence scale.”

I would assume then to comment and advise students on college choices that will permanently impact their lives as a scientist (and not trained or experienced college counsellors) would make you 1) look ignorant, 2) look selfish, 3) well, bottom of the intellectual intelligence scale.

1 Like

My H is very knowledgeable about cars/car repairs. No formal training, just lots of reading, spending time on car forums, and experience doing work on our own cars. When we do have to bring our cars to a mechanic, he approaches the relationship as a partnership, using what knowledge he has with what they have, and they determine a course of action based on that. He often brings solutions to them, or a different diagnosis. I question almost every professional. Having training or a degree in something doesn’t guarantee you know everything.

7 Likes

I can tell you that this morning on the elevator to my office, a pulmonologist was talking about how many tracheostomies he put in on 30 year olds yesterday, “all unvaccinated of course” to the OB/GYN who said that he delivered two babies of covid patients yesterday, one stillborn and the other with severe growth retardation because their mothers couldn’t get enough oxygen in their system to get to the fetuses.
Can you find the medical knowledge you find on google to that gained after graduating medical school and four years of residency and then up to 5 years of fellowship, maybe more?
If you have symptoms of a heart attack at home, do you google it, look for home treatments, alterative therapies, call your politician or family or friends? Or do you trust your healthcare team at the hospital and rush there for treatment? Just wondering.

9 Likes

Well said! Though I know a couple of people IRL who did opt to wait at home and it didn’t go well for either of them.

2 Likes

MN State Fair just announced that it will encourage, but not require, vaccination and masking. However, masking will be required in some specialized settings (the trolley, the Care and Assistance booth, etc) and some independent vendor booths may also require masking. Therefore all are encouraged to bring their own masks, and masks will be available at the gate as well.

Is that directed at me?

Your anecdotes are tragic and I only wish those people you reference had been vaccinated if they hadn’t.

Who however is suggesting the use of Google for medical decisions or questioning following a doctors advice?

I am suggesting the CDC provide the benefits of a booster and any particular risks that have been identified. How is that controversial?

3 Likes

I take no issue with doctors doing this - it’s their practice after all - but they should be honest and not claim it’s about protecting them from exposure because every one of their patients can expose them to Covid.

1 Like

Not accepting unvaccinated people can help protect vulnerable patients. There have been cases of unvaccinated children spreading measles to babies in waiting rooms.

4 Likes