Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Pretty much the only medical reason not to get COVID vaccinated is if you have had a severe allergic reaction to one of the components that make up the vaccine. Maybe a history of Guillian Barre though of course that is also a potential consequence of getting COVID, so I’m not sure about that one, or a history of severe adverse reactions to other vaccines. There are no other medical conditions that I am aware of that make getting the vaccine more dangerous than COVID. In fact, most people with underlying medical conditions will be much safer vaccinated.

4 Likes

They are from Austin (Texas).

Haha Gig Em’ ! I actually like A&M (not related to this). I haven’t applied but am considering. Oh yes of course! Getting rest and eating healthy is highly important and I try to not stress myself too much these days (due to a traumatic experience). Absolutely! If I ever don’t feel good I stay home and notify my boss or professor. I thought that was pretty standard haha. Thanks for the nice approach! Appreciate it!

1 Like

What’s in Alabama? Lol! Yeah! I actually have applied to schools in these states as well as other states.

3 Likes

I noticed you were in the process of applying to Virginia Tech. You may find this interesting . . .

Same goes for some of the other colleges you are interested in attending.

5 Likes

Honestly? It sounds like you’re just repeating what your mom has taught you.

That can still be common at your age, but realize as you head out into the world you might find the two of you have differences - and that’s ok. I was just remarking in my family (at lunch time) earlier that my mom hated lima beans so I never grew up with them, but in college I learned I liked them. At a different time one of my son’s told me he didn’t realize peaches were common. He thought they were an exotic fruit until he went to college. Yep, I (his mom) don’t like peaches, so guess what we rarely had at our house.

Do you have time for a 6+ minute comedy video the doesn’t have anything at all to do with Covid, but has a lot to do with humans and how we learn things?

There’s a lot of data now supporting vaccines and a lot of innocent people dealing with heartache due to being duped about them - but I’m sure they heard it three times. (That will make sense if you watch the video.)

1 Like

The reason why COVID-19 is such a problem for community spread is that infected people become highly contagious for a few days before any noticeable symptoms start. By the time symptoms start, they would have already infected others they were in contact with during the past few days.

In other words, staying away from others after you know that you are sick with COVID-19 is like the saying about closing the barn door after the horses have run away.

7 Likes

My mom hasn’t taught me anything tbh. I think for myself! I did ask her if she wanted to get it and that if you chose to where to get them. She made the decision on her own. I have my own condo and pay my own bills. There is no way she can force her beliefs on me. We absolutely have differences! Especially on many things haha but regardless we still love each other because we are family. Hahaha oh wow! That is a very interesting example. Yeah no that has never been the case with me. If I didn’t like something it was for certain reasons. Haha well if he was in Georgia he would see lots of peaches. Thanks for the laughter! This is great haha.

Sure! I am open to watching the video. I actually love and encourage 1000% intellectual diversity.

I want to make it clear that I am not in favor of vaccinated employees that need to be tested using their PTO if they can’t get a required test.

I’m in favor of unvaccinated employees that need to be tested, when if they were vaccinated they wouldn’t need to be tested.

Please don’t confuse these two things are they are completely different.

To the other question, unfortunately I think there will be universities that will/are waiving vaccine requirements. Some because of ideology and some because of needing to increase enrollment.

Very nice editorial in paper today by a Bloomsberg writer (and Harvard law professor) about how employers shouldn’t deny or investigate claims of religious exemption, that it should be enough for the person to say they object. If they’ve had other positions in the past (like they took aspirin or were pro-choice, that’s okay because people can change and what matters is they ask for the exception NOW. It also takes the pressure off the employer (or university or other group requiring vaxs).

Of course employers can then set other requirements for those who object, like masks all the time, testing, perhaps not being allowed in the lunchroom unmasked, etc. Employers have the right to protect other workers as long as the requirements are reasonable, and masks, tests, distancing have all been deemed acceptable. Some employers were issuing stickers for the IDs for those who are vaxxed, so just make a rule “No sticker, mask required”

Even if employers give the exemption doesn’t mean others will. The unvaccinated will not be allowed in restaurants that require proof, at some concerts and sporting events, in hotels that require vaccinations, maybe airplanes soon. Those businesses don’t have to consider medical or religious exceptions because there is no constitutional right to eat in a certain restaurant, to travel to Hawaii, to go to the stadium to see the Raiders play. They aren’t discriminating based on religion but on vaccination status, and vaccination status is not a protected class.

We had a few bars and restaurants that were requiring vax cards in May, right after pretty much anyone could get a vax. It wasn’t a city or state requirement, just the owner’s requirement. All the employees were vaxxed, and showing a card was the rule. No children under 16 (at that time) allowed, which many considered a bonus.

I think the hope is that it will become so inconvenient not to be vaxxed that more people will just do it. I’m all for it.

4 Likes

By law, all employers have to, or at least make a reasonable accommodation. (That is different from serving your customers, or students.)

As a mom, I’d be really sad if any of my boys said that (sigh). They can say I taught them things that they later changed their minds about (like learning about peaches!), but nothing?

We all learn a lot from our parents (or whoever raises us). Then as we reach puberty and our brains expand we start figuring out who we are. It’s human nature.

My goal as a science teacher is to show kids how to base their thoughts on what’s really out there (data) vs preconceived beliefs (from whoever) coupled with individual likes/dislikes and similar.

When I see the Covid misinformation spread and linked to “personal freedom” and such things, it makes my mind spin. We humans give up so much personal freedom without batting an eye when it comes to other things, but saving their own or someone else’s life? That goes too far?

People have bought into political myths over something that never should be political - and it mimics what happened with the Spanish flu in 1918, so nothing new is under the sun, but I really want to believe humans are smarter now. Apparently, as a species, we aren’t.

6 Likes

I am sorry if I made assumptions about your beliefs. I guess I was assuming you weren’t interested in attended a school that mandated the covid vaccine based on your previous comments. Sorry if I misunderstood. That’s exactly how my family member felt and she was upset when I told her my daughter’s school was requiring it.

Some because they are in states where the state governments do not allow them to require COVID-19 vaccination.

1 Like

Many employers will conclude that there is no reasonable accommodation possible so the religious objectors will need to go on indefinite unpaid leave or quit. The best example of this is United Airlines.
Employers have to be very careful in offering accomodations. Generally, they just create future problems among the workforce and may burden the unaccomodated. Complaints of discrimination
and retaliation frequently occur despite accommodation. Moreover, accommodationsare permanent, so that can be a deterrent.

5 Likes

But United definitely offering accommodations, and it depends on the role. Yes, they have decided that employees in customer-facing roles cannot be reasonably accommodated and therefore must be vaccinated or go on leave. But un-vaxxed UA employees in non-customer-facing roles can get tested weekly and wear a mask while indoors at work.

[quote] The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has weighed in with guidance that answers some workplace vaccination questions. For example, the agency said that federal anti-discrimination laws don’t prohibit employers from requiring all employees who physically enter the workplace to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Employers that encourage or require vaccinations, however, must comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other workplace laws, according to the EEOC.

“An employee with a religious objection or a disability may need to be excused from the mandate or otherwise accommodated,” noted John Lomax, an attorney with Snell & Wilmer in Phoenix. [/quote]

I didn’t mean it in that way. My response was it in regards to the whole covid thing. Personally, I was closer with my father. However, my mom had taught me various things especially when it comes to drive and such. Haha the peach thing is forever a classic!

That’s true! I agree with you on that. That’s great! I actually support that goal. I am happy that you’re doing that.

Depends what counts as misinformation. I don’t support true misinformation about anything. I do my research and then based on my findings come to a conclusion. Why would personal freedoms make your head spin? It is a basic human right. I actually don’t think that goes too far. I think it just depends on the context or circumstance. Obviously other humans are important. I try not to give up too much personal freedom. I personally think that people shouldn’t be giving up freedom but that is a whole different topic for a different platform. I do however, see where you are coming from.

Haha I know how you feel about the humans situation. I appreciate how civil you have been! Even though we may respectfully agree to disagree on this stance. I wish that there was more people like that.

1 Like

Employers have to, but those who aren’t your employers don’t - restaurants, sports teams (many high schools are requiring all athletes to be vaccinated), sporting events, concerts. All can require you show your vax cards. Employers can set conditions for the unvaxxed like wearing masks all the time, even in the lunchroom, testing weekly or more often, sitting 6’ or more away from others in meetings.

Correct. There are different rules for the relationships of employers with their employees vs. a business with their customers.