Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

If I did the math correctly, San Diego County is about 1 out of 826. Riverside County is 1 out of 508 and Orange County CA 1 out of 587. So yay us, I guess.

WA State: 1/1,004
my county: 1/1,360
MO: 1/518
FL: 1/397

2 Likes

Seems 200 of 375 came into compliance when push came to shove. The other 175 must have either decided to retire or look for a job elsewhere. Healthcare certainly isnā€™t where they belong at this point IMO.

https://abc11.com/novant-health-workers-fired-vaccine-mandate-covid/11055989/

5 Likes

Yep, states definitely have varied stats. Florida does have a significant over 65 population as well.

NY 1/365
NJ 1/363
PA 1/448

ā€œNow Iā€™m worried about covid and security measures in North Carolina hospitalsā€ - my favorite line from this video. Iā€™m surprised he hasnā€™t been attacked (physically).

4 Likes

This is a good article from the NYT showing how the mandates are working in many places with a lot of reluctant folks getting theirs last minute, but nonetheless, getting them. Some still prefer to lose their jobs, but not nearly as many as said they would.

5 Likes

We saw that the other day. It matches what we have at school board meetings here too.

We enjoy watching Jordan Klepper, but it boggles the mind that so many are out there and the answers they give.

2 Likes

Jordan Klepper videos are the best. And scariest.

6 Likes

Itā€™s closer to 1 in 400 have died in our county. The scarier number IMO is that 1 in 7 have had Covid. (Though since that number appears to be from dividing positive tests by total residents, it may be double counting people who had it more than once or got tested more than once for the same case.) Itā€™s no wonder that everyone I know knows multiple people whoā€™ve been sick.

1 Like

Interesting problem. We are doing a renovation over the next X months (8 or more probably). Very good architect. We are just about to sign with a very good construction company that already did a project for us. I talked with the head of the company and asked about COVID protocol and in particular, is his whole staff vaccinated. He said that he is and that all but three people are. However, two of the three are the carpenters who we know and really like and did a lot of work on our prior project. I asked why about our favorite guy (who has a really good relationship with ShawWife) and he said, ā€œI donā€™t know. Heā€™s an aging hockey player (still plays in a league) and he doesnā€™t seem to think he can get sick.ā€ He offered to do the job with other folks but we asked him to talk with the two about our discomfort and how we would have to make rules to avoid them. [The section of the house we will live in will be sealed off so from an infection standpoint, we should be fine. In addition, we will go to other houses for parts of the construction.]. The second guy wants to wait a few years to make sure there are no big problems. The third guy is for religious reasons (heā€™s a seriously religious guy so no Church of the Holy Anti-Vax). I wonder what we can do to convince these workers (or at least the first two).

I asked my doctor about all of the events we have on the calendar that we havenā€™t finalized.

• An outdoor wedding and indoor reception;
  • An indoor Bat Mitzvah and outdoor reception;
  • A trip to Sicily (likely eating outside for meals);
  • A business trip to London that might be tacked onto the Italian trip (the group will be a) vaccinated b) in rooms with limited spaced seating c) everyone will be masked and d) everyone will have a rapid antigen test every morning;
  • An indoor masked wedding and indoor reception.

She thought the highest risk events indoor receptions and to skip them. The Sicily trip and the UK business trip she thought were fine. With double masking and not eating, she though airplane trips were fine.

But, she told me that even health care workers have no consistent source of guidance. She is on an online form of 80K women docs (or women in healthcare) and one thing they say is massive inconsistencies in practice.

NJ and NY were, tragically, the initial jumping off point. Covid decimated NYC and northern NJ before anyone knew it was there. That spring was a nightmare. Almost none of the treatments and medications we know now were available then. When to use ventilators, when not, proning, monoclonal antibodies, either not in existence or were figured out in this trial by fire by our doctors. It was before we had testing, or knew it was mostly airborne, or knew all the ways it could attack a body.

Thankfully, we have been in the vanguard of safety, including masking and vaccines, since. And our far lower infection and death rates compared to national averages after that period show it. But if you had any intention of making a statement because of those initial monthsā€“donā€™t.

8 Likes

Posted by the anti vax Maine representative whose wife died from COVID this summer.

Leonard Pitts, Jr summed up my feelings to those giving up their jobs rather than getting vaxxed in his opinion piece here:

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/goodbye-and-good-riddance/

This is the start of it, but thereā€™s more worthy of reading:

"This is for those of you whoā€™ve chosen to quit your jobs rather than submit to a vaccine mandate.

No telling how many of you there actually are, but lately, youā€™re all over the news. Just last week, a nearly-30-year veteran of the San Jose Police Department surrendered his badge rather than comply with the cityā€™s requirement that all employees be inoculated against COVID-19. He joins an Army lieutenant colonel, some airline employees, a Major League Baseball executive, the choral director of the San Francisco Symphony, workers at the tax collectorā€™s office in Orange County, Florida, and, incredibly, dozens of health care professionals.

Well, on behalf of the rest of us, the ones who miss concerts, restaurants and other peopleā€™s faces, the ones who are sick and tired of living in pandemic times, hereā€™s a word of response to you quitters: Goodbye.

And hereā€™s two more: Good riddance."

ā€¦

ā€œSome of you seem to think freedom means no one can be compelled to do, or refrain from doing, anything. But thatā€™s not freedom, itā€™s anarchy.ā€

In the end he says, ā€œweā€™ll miss you.ā€ One of the best comments I saw (another source) said, ā€œUh, no we wonā€™t.ā€

12 Likes

Theyā€™re right about following the money, but theyā€™re following the wrong money trail. Thereā€™s huge amounts of money and political power to be made from being anti-vax and anti-mask. Ratings, ad revenue, donations to your campaign/PAC, etc.

Thatā€™s where the money leads.

7 Likes

Many months ago, I bought tickets for 4 to see Ricki Lee Jones at an intimate venue in Dallas. We got a table for 4 center stage just a few feet away from her. We have been looking forward to it, and our friends from WAY back accepted our invitation.

Just a few days ago, I got an email from the venue stating that the artist had made the following changes (requirements):

Proof of full vaccination required;

Masks required at all times when not drinking;

I live in Texas. I seriously wondered if the venue would be half empty as a result of these last minute changes.

In our section, I think they had 12 tables in total. I noticed ONE table for two empty. The rest of the small venue was packed with happy, SUPPORTIVE and adoring fans.

Ricki Lee Jones is 66, so maybe this was the rationale for the last minute changes. And Iā€™ll concede that the majority of the audience was definitely north of 50. No one seemed at all put out about the 11th hour requirements. It was a wonderful evening. Ricki physically looked her age, but her voice sounded 25 years old. We had an awesome time! Small venue, but vaccinated and masked audience-I feel my risk was low.

14 Likes

Here is an article on NBA player Jonathan Issac on why he has not been vaccinated. It was the most thoughtful answer I have seen on the matter. Here is a few quotes from the article.

ā€œI am not anti-vax, Iā€™m not anti-medicine, I am not anti-science,ā€ Isaac told reporters Monday. ā€œI didnā€™t come to my current stance by studying Black history or watching Donald Trump press conferences (as the story states). I have nothing but the utmost respect for every healthcare worker and person in Orlando and all across the world that have worked tirelessly to keep us safe. My mom has worked in healthcare for a really long time. I thank God and Iā€™m grateful that I live in a society where vaccines are possible, and we can protect ourselves and have the means to protect ourselves.ā€œ

What is it about the vaccination that makes him hesitant?

ā€œI would start with Iā€™ve had COVID in the past and so our understanding of antibodies, of natural immunity has changed a great deal from the onset of the pandemic and is still evolving,ā€ Isaac said. ā€œI understand that the vaccine would help if you have COVID, youā€™ll be able to have less symptoms from contracting it. But with me having COVID in the past and having antibodies, with my current age group and physical fitness level, itā€™s not necessarily a fear of mine. Taking the vaccine, like I said, it would decrease my chances of having a severe reaction, but it does open me up to the albeit rare chance but the possibility of me having an adverse reaction to the vaccine itself. I donā€™t believe that being unvaccinated means infected or being vaccinated means uninfected. You can still catch COVID with or with not having the vaccine. I would say honestly the craziness of it all in terms of not being able to say that it should be everybodyā€™s fair choice without being demeaned or talked crazy to doesnā€™t make one comfortable to do what said person is telling them to do.

ā€œI would say Iā€™m hesitant at this time but at the end of the day I donā€™t feel that it is anyoneā€™s reason to come out and say well this is why or this is not why, it should just be their decision. Loving your neighbor is not just loving those who agree with you or look like you or move in the same way that you do. Itā€™s loving those who donā€™t.ā€

2 Likes

I have this conversation with myself all the time - how much did other states learn from what NY/NJ faced early in the pandemic. My DH is a physician in Monmouth County (the Jersey shore for those unfamiliar with NJ geography) which was not even the epicenter within the state but it was still awful. Some many protocols for patient care have changed since then. Every pulmonologist I know had Covid early the pandemic.

Clearly the death rate at the beginning was horrific but weā€™ve learned so much since then including the mistakes made with respect to congregate settings such as nursing homes. Even now, NY and NJā€™s percentage of deaths in those settings is no higher than many other states but much more highly concentrated in those early days when all hell was breaking loose.

From the above website:

3 Likes

@ChangeTheGame
I completely understand that you are trying to help others see a different point of view, especially the view of many reluctant people in the African American community. Sure, heā€™s articulate, butā€¦.so? Does he feel the same about childhood immunizations? Does he feel the same about a personā€™s choice to do things that might harm others?

Heā€™s ignoring science. It doesnā€™t mean heā€™s anti-science. It means he doesnā€™t care about the facts. Heā€™s an influential person and his comments are, IMO, irresponsible because people might listen to him and decide that because they had covid last year, or in February or whenever, that they donā€™t need to be vaccinated.

This is ignoring facts and science. He fails completely to acknowledge that his next bout of covid is far more likely to lead to severe consequences than the remote possibility of a reaction to the vaccine. He fails to acknowledge that he could spread it to people who might die.

He fails to acknowledge his influence too. There seems to be zero recognition that this viewpoint is harmful. That his next bout of covid could possibly be the one that leads to an even more dangerous mutation of the virus.

I appreciate you posting this because it makes it more clear than ever there needs to be a much bigger effort to educate people. Iā€™m at least glad to hear that it seems thereā€™s been an uptick in vaccine rates among the Latino and AA communities. I hope as more people get vaccinated with no ill effects, others will follow.

14 Likes

Does he have his antibody levels checked and rechecked? My friends who had covid were part of a study and they had antibodies and suddenly the man didnā€™t. I think they were checked every week or bi-weekly. That was in the spring so as soon as they were eligible they both got vaccinated, even though the woman was still showing antibodies.

3 Likes