Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I expect a high correlation with whether the parents are vaccinated:

• Parents got vaccinated as soon as possible → they will vaccinate their kids as soon as possible.
  • Parents wanted vaccine, but were slow in getting it, due to real or perceived access or convenience issues → they will vaccinate their kids if convenient (e.g. vaccine event at school) or if required for school.
  • Parents actively refused vaccine → they will not vaccinate their kids, and will fight school vaccine requirements.
1 Like

The Centnor school in FL is making the news again. Seeing how little they know about science and vaccines I’d distrust anything they were teaching TBH, but it seems to be a school made for the anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/577207-miami-private-school-orders-vaccinated-students-to-stay-at-home-for-30

“Because of the potential impact on other students and our school community, vaccinated students will need to stay at home for 30 days post-vaccination for each dose and booster they receive and may return to school after 30 days as long as the student is healthy and symptom-free,” said a letter sent last week to parents at Centner Academy in Miami said, according to WSVN, a local television station.

The letter suggested that parents consider vaccinating their children in the summer “when there will be time for the potential transmission or shedding onto others to decrease.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has quashed misleading claims that vaccines against COVID-19 may make recipients spreaders of the virus.

“Vaccine shedding is the term used to describe the release or discharge of any of the vaccine components in or outside of the body. Vaccine shedding can only occur when a vaccine contains a weakened version of the virus,” the CDC’s website said. “None of the vaccines authorized for use in the U.S. contain a live virus.”

In a statement to The Washington Post, David Centner, one of the school’s founders, said that the decision was a “precautionary measure” based on “numerous anecdotal cases that have been in circulation.”

“The school is not opining as to whether unexplained phenomena have a basis in fact, however we prefer to err on the side of caution when making decisions that impact the health of the school community,” Centner added to the Post.

The same school has a history of spreading inaccurate vaccine information and received attention in April when it asked teachers to hold off on getting their COVID-19 shots.

“We’re not telling teachers that they can’t get [the vaccine], we’re just simply asking that they hold off a little bit,” Joshua Hills, a parent and Centner Academy employee, said at the time, per WSVN.

“We’re not anti-vaxxers, we’re in favor of safe vaccines,” Hills added to WSVN. “Are these vaccines, is this injection 100 percent safe? As a parent of two children that go to this school, I’m not willing to take the chance on a question mark.”

It’s in the heavily politicized arenas that people really care about the vax at all. FOP, etc. Your average restaurant worker doesn’t care, but also doesn’t want to go on being ripped off at work. You’ll pay more or the restaurant owner will take home less or both.

Awesome, I look forward to the resurgence of remote work as places all over open their competitions nationally to pull more apps.

Regarding the school mentioned above, crazy ideas like that are one reason we will not mention our booster shot to D or SiL. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he believes such nonsense.

There appears to be an uptick in people getting vaccinated in our area, based on observations mentioned in local forums and Facebook. When H and I went to Walgreens for our booster, I saw no one in the store wearing a mask properly, if at all, including the pharmacist who didn’t even wear the typical chin strap. Despite having an appointment, I was told there’d be a 15 - 20 minute wait so I said I’d wait in the car.

It wasn’t until we were called for the shot that we saw the person administering it was wearing a mask over his nose and mouth. He was clearly quite surprised when he looked at my card and commented about it being my third shot. That made me wonder if the other people waiting without masks were there for their first shot because they’d otherwise be out of work by early December.

This is from the CVS website. I think many parents might wait.

Before you schedule your vaccine
As you review available times and locations, you may see that several vaccines are available to choose from. As you make your selection, the information that follows may be relevant.

Approved for patients age 12+: Pfizer two-dose vaccine

Approved for patients age 18+: Moderna two-dose vaccine, Janssen (J&J vaccine) one-dose vaccine

Pfizer and Moderna

People receiving mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna), especially males aged 12-29 years, should be aware of the possibility of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) or pericarditis (inflammation of the lining outside the heart) following receipt of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines and the need to seek care if symptoms of myocarditis or pericarditis (such as chest pain, shortness of breath, or palpitations) develop after vaccination.

Janssen / J&J

Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), extremely rare clotting events have been reported after vaccination with the Janssen/J&J vaccine, primarily among women aged 18-49 years. Individuals should be aware of the availability of other FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccines).

1 Like

Another vaccine reluctant person suffering some expensive consequences…Wash State football coach fired…he was the highest paid state employee (!)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/10/18/nick-rolovich-washington-state-fired-covid-mandate/

6 Likes

Not behind a paywall:

5 Likes

I think other than one or two doctors or lawyers, the highest paid state employees for all 50 states are either university football or basketball coaches.

Wow. That Florida school wants sued, but I can’t say I’m surprised. Long ago, before Common Core, I used to write state-specific science textbooks, and the Florida books were always something else. You could feel the tension between the academics writing the standards and the legislators hemming them in. Eventually I realized you could drag evolution over to chemistry and the censors wouldn’t be any the wiser; they were all on the lookout for Scopes-type stuff in biology. Not good for the kids, though, and it was hardly the kids’ fault they’d been born in or brought to Florida. In so many ways, now.

2 Likes

These might be starting salaries but they make a ton on overtime, holidays, special events. Usually they also get bumps for special training (EMT, underwater rescue). They usually have great benefits (health insurance, vacation time, retirement)

The decision may be can they get other jobs in the area where they don’t need the vaccine. Several of the NBA players decided it wasn’t worth $3M to stand on their principles.

1 Like

I think you are right. As long as covid cases are decreasing (I realize that they aren’t everywhere), parents may hold off. Once cases start rising again (if they do around and immediately after the holidays), more parents might be willing to get their young kids vaccinated. I believe the vaccine is expected to be approved around Christmas for children younger than 5.

While of course many parents WILL get their young children vaccinated, I expect there to be a lower percentage than hoped for, just as there is a lower vaccination rate than hoped for among pregnant women.

Thanks UCB.

Well he does not have a very good football record either… so probably an easier decision to fire him for vaccine refusal.

I wonder in 2, 5, or 10 years how he’s going to look back on his decision (assistants too).

I’m glad places are telling folks to move on though. In a worldwide emergency, if saving human lives isn’t a priority over personal “freedom,” are they really someone you want to employ? “It’s all about ME,” isn’t a great character trait IME.

6 Likes

It’s a private school, so I’m guessing they can do as they please. For some parents out there, getting their health and science info from anecdotes seen on the internet is a priority.

I can’t help but wonder how their graduates will do applying to colleges if the school becomes well-known for teaching from such sources. Though actually, many parents probably have specific colleges they want to target where their offspring won’t be exposed to ideas outside of their bubble except in a negative way.

Well…they might do just fine…but will they be able to attend as there are colleges requiring this vaccine for in person living and instruction.

They will probably apply to schools in states that offer options… such as testing, opt out, etc.

They can go to colleges in states like Florida that prohibit colleges from requiring vaccination.