Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Around here cases started to increase in Sept, which coincidentally was 2 weeks after school started. In every single one of my years teaching colds also thrived right after school started, and then again after Thanksgiving and Christmas when kids returned from travels. Cases would die down after the burst.

I see no reason why Covid would be different TBH. When we lived in FL their schools started the beginning of August, not the end of it like PA’s do.

1 Like

This is certainly going to add to reluctance. In fact, I think it could cause many a reasonable person - currently vaccinated - to question the idea of boosters…

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/wait-what-fda-wants-55-years-process-foia-request-over-vaccine-data-2021-11-18/

3 Likes

People who are looking for justification for not getting vaccinated or boosted can always find something. If you read the article, it’s about bureaucracy, not a lack of transparency. I think it should be quicker, but it doesn’t change my opinion on the vaccine or boosters.

7 Likes

It is important to acknowledge that in today’s world - optics matter. And optics affect behavior.

1 Like

One more convert. Younger S said one of his previously opposed friends got his shot. The reason? He finally knew people who had serious problems. I love his friend and glad to hear it, but I had to chuckle “so I guess his religious convictions just went out the window?” (He got a religious exemption for school.)

Oh and younger S said he would want to get his booster over Xmas break. On the booster thread I said I wouldn’t push it because he had covid last fall and then got two Moderna shots. But I am glad he wants it nonetheless

6 Likes

What the article doesn’t mention is that “Public Health and Medical Professionals for Transparency” includes Dr. Harvey Risch, who continued championing the use of hydroxychloroquine long after it had been proven to be useless in treatment of COVID (and after it’s mass use for COVID denied access to patients who actually need it), Dr. Andrew Bostom, who has made a name for himself claiming that kids should not wear masks in school, Dr. Sylvia Fogel, who has claimed that mandating vaccines for kids is racist, and a whole host of other interesting characters.

While these may not exactly be “fringe”, there seem to be a fairly large number of large egos whose miracle solutions to the pandemic were rejected, and now they are spending an inordinate amount of time trying to prove that the solutions that have been enacted are inferior to their personal favorites.

So we’re not actually dealing with a bunch of concerned scientists or even concerned citizens. We’re talking about a group of people who are looking for ways to prove that they were, in fact, right. Since none of them are willing to actually run research on their own to support their claims, what they intend to do is look for flaws, real or imagined, in the research done be their opponents.

9 Likes

You can’t make this stuff up. 7 anti-vax physicians (some of whom are strong proponents of Ivermectin) test positive for Covid after attending anti-vax summit at the World Equestrian Center in Florida.

3 Likes

volunteered today at friend’s pharmacy vax clinic; first time since last spring when it was crazy; today was crazy too. It’s sort of fun.

Here’s what i saw: Adults and teens getting boosters. Lots of young kids getting first shots; one screamer. Lots of flu vax; one nurse getting a flu vax but isnt covid vaxed; one guy told about his friend who got covid 2 weeks after getting a booster; a few stragglers coming in looking for rapid tests :frowning: (immediately sent them outside to the testing site). Maybe one or two teens getting second shots.

What i did not see was any adults or teens getting first time shots. I would have liked to see more newbies. wondering if people are just set in their minds now. ???

1 Like

Unfortunately, BIL has convinced 93 year old FIL not to get the booster using arguments like, “they don’t really know what is in them,” “did you know they are made from aborted babies?” “90% of vaccinated people who end up in the ICU die,” and similar. It’s really, really frustrating.

We’ve shared with him what medical lad has been seeing in person, told him about the difference in mRNA vs J&J beginnings and how the same testing (vs made from) fetal use is in his Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and similar meds he takes, and explained that the very few fully vaccinated people who make it to the ICU have other major issues going on (as medical lad has seen) so skew the odds considerably, but seemingly to no avail.

We know BIL will make out big (more than H) when FIL passes away. We can’t help but feel that’s part of the motivation - along with BIL not even remotely trying to be safe when he visits now (or for the past 6 months or so).

It’s incredibly frustrating. At least he had Moderna for his first two.

Not sure if this is the right thread to bring this up. Much has been made of breakthrough cases of COVID among the vaccinated, especially by the antivax crowd. But I have not seen any statistics for unvaccinated people who had COVID and thus have natural immunity and get COVID for a second or third time. I have read anecdotal stories of such cases but no statistics.

Has anyone seen such stats?

1 Like

My husband got his booster last week and asked the nurse if first timers are still coming in. She said they are. So that’s good.

@TomSrOfBoston I found this article. Not directly answering your question, but related. https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-08-06/cdc-covid-19-reinfections-among-unvaccinated-twice-as-likely-than-among-vaccinated

2 Likes

How do we generate such statistics if we don’t even keep track who had COVID?

oh good to hear. My volunteer experience was just a one-day glimpse into that clinic. Hope to do it again. I was encouraged to see all the kids there.

1 Like

I think they do. Of course, these numbers don’t include all the cases that aren’t reported due to people thinking they have a cold, or are asymptomatic, or who do a test at home.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

2 Likes

That page references this CDC page: Reduced Risk of Reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 After COVID-19 Vaccination — Kentucky, May–June 2021 | MMWR .

Basically, among those who were previously infected in 2020, those unvaccinated were 2.34 times more likely to get reinfected (or vaccine effectiveness of 58% among that population).

There does not appear to be a comparison with previously uninfected and either unvaccinated or vaccinated. Basically, it says that previously infected people do get significant benefit from vaccination in avoiding reinfection, but does not say anything about how effective immunity from previous infection only compares to vaccination only, which may be relevant for policy decisions (such as whether to accept verified previous infection in lieu of vaccination).

1 Like

Good news!! My anti-vaxxer sister -in- law got vaccinated because she couldn’t go on a plane without being vaccinated!!! I really didn’t think she would get it!!

16 Likes

What airline requires proof of vaccination to fly? I’ve never heard of this.

US require all arriving non-resident international travelers to be vaccinated. There’re some international airlines, including all Canadian airlines, that require all vaccine-eligible passengers to vaccinated.

1 Like

What airline?

Looks it is a requirement in Canada: