Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Incompetence is incompetence.

2 Likes

@Rivet2000, venal incompetence is worse than well-intentioned incompetence. The cost of the venality was probably several hundred thousand lives.

4 Likes

I guess there are many types of incompetence. In the end, incompetence is still incompetence. I could add qualifiers I guess but sometimes less is more.

3 Likes

Yes, but one type likely cost hundreds of thousands of lives. Not sure why you wouldn’t want to distinguish between the two.

1 Like

If I had to distinguish I’d probably focus on the current round of incompetence when competency was actually expected.

6 Likes

I think you are dead wrong. I think a huge number of unnecessary deaths ought to count for a lot more than a cute word play. But, I’ll leave it at that. We can agree to disagree.

3 Likes

People are able to provide for their own protection. Vaccines and boosters are readily available. Quality masks are readily available. In the end Omicron will sweep through our population. Just like we weren’t going to stop the initial variant and all the others that followed, we won’t stop this one from moving through our population. It’s extremely contagious and eventually the vast majority of us will be exposed. Those that are vaccine hesitant, those that are vaxxed and boosted, those that are going on vacation, those that are mostly staying home, all of us are getting exposed to this highly contagious variant. We’ll all have some form of immunity afterwards. Omicron spreads no matter what. Obviously it’s better to be fully vaccinated but it’s not stopping the spread. Hopefully this variant serves as the mechanism that in the end brings us closer to making covid into a mild seasonal illness that we all live with such as the flu or common cold. Covid isn’t going away.

9 Likes

I still have to think there’s a genetic component no one has found yet that makes a bit of the difference between asymptomatic and really severe and/or death cases. Otherwise, it’s sad to read their reasons, knowing their outcomes would likely have been different if their choices had been different:

Aged 72, the brothers had not been vaccinated against Covid-19.

Their friends said they were convinced their healthy lifestyle would protect them and they were admitted to hospital in mid-December.

Although their families did not specify the cause of their deaths, their lawyer Edouard de Lamaze confirmed they had both contracted the virus.

Family friend Pierre-Jean Chalençon said they had left it too late to seek hospital treatment, deciding it was similar to flu. “People have said they were anti-vaxxers but they absolutely weren’t,” he told BFMTV. “Several friends told them to get themselves vaccinated but they felt because of their lifestyle and their [lack of] comorbidity, they weren’t at risk of Covid.”

Asked why they had chosen not to have the Covid vaccines if they were not themselves anti-vaxxers, Luc Ferry said on Monday: "Like Igor, Grichka wasn’t antivax, he was just antivax for himself.

“They were both athletic, with not an inch of fat, and they thought the vaccine was more dangerous than the virus.”

3 Likes

Seems you have buried the lead.

1 Like

I keep hearing this same thing from pretty much every “athletic” person of Eastern European descent we know. If this was SARS or MERS with their much higher mortality rate, I’m sure the tune would have been changed.

6 Likes

We are hearing about the “healthy eating and exercise” from one not vaccinated person we know. This person is not not being invited to anything with our friends even outdoors. And
doesn’t seem to understand why?

Social distance? Not in her vocabulary.

1 Like

I had to run in to school today to get some forms for annual blood tests our Wellness
Committee provides to employees (a nice perk if I say so myself and I’m glad I was still included even with two years “off”).

To those who wonder if older relatives of students get Covid and pass away, well, yes they do. A senior just lost their mother two weeks ago and another lost their uncle in the same time frame. Both of those who died were unvaccinated. The mother because she was “afraid of needles.” I wonder how many she endured in the hospital before her death. The uncle was more typical anti-vax.

This was just talk in the office. I didn’t ask how many there may have been over the whole pandemic (though I know earlier we also lost an employee).

It’s frustrating how so many people believe they have no co-morbidities, but you see their photo and though young, they are morbidly obese, or they minimize their “mild asthma”, or in the case of these two gentlemen, are denying the reality that they are 71 YEARS OLD. Risk goes up as age goes up.

Denial really has the capacity to kill people.

14 Likes

A different article I read said that her husband admitted that she was not vaccinated.

"I don’t think that the government should be involved in mandating what vaccines people are taking,” she said.

I wonder if she objected to all of the other vaccines that are mandated for children, or if she just objected to mandating for adults.

Absolutely agree about the genetic component. Hopefully someone is investigating it. But once again the same refrain appears sadly:

“They were both athletic, with not an inch of fat, and they thought the vaccine was more dangerous than the virus.”

4 Likes

Being pro-environment, I’m sorry to see her efforts on that gone.

As with other deaths, I hope some learn from her mistake. It’s sad.

1 Like

From this article:

Ernby’s husband, Mattias Ernby, appeared to confirm his wife had not been vaccinated in response to a Facebook user who claimed she had died of blood clots after getting vaccinated.

“She was NOT vaccinated. That was the problem,” Mattias Ernby wrote.

4 Likes