Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Employers are probably considering the following when deciding whether to have vaccination requirements:

1. How many and which (i.e. more or less valuable, harder or easier to replace) employees will leave if there is a vaccine requirement?
  2. How will a vaccine requirement affect recruiting of new employees?
  3. How will retaining unvaccinated employees affect amount of sick time and costs to employer provided medical insurance?
  4. How will employee vaccination policy affect whether customers are more or less willing to buy from the company?

The answers to all of the above will vary based on employer, job types, and overall vaccine enthusiasm versus reluctance among employees, potential recruits, and customers.

2 Likes
  1. The exorbitant cost of testing unvaccinated employees that the mandate requires.

The 5 closest Starbucks around me are having serious labor problems. Some are closed for days at a time or close early/open late. I think itā€™s a combo of COVID cases and vaccine reluctance. I also wonder if they just donā€™t want the hassle and cost of keeping track of vaccine status, testing compliance etcā€¦.

Actually, an employer who chooses the ā€œmiddle groundā€ of ā€œvaccination or testingā€ will have higher testing costs than an employer who chooses ā€œvaccination required to work hereā€.

The cheapest in direct costs is no vaccine requirement and no test requirement. But indirect costs of increased absenteeism due to getting sick and increased medical insurance costs could be greater than that.

The increased absenteeism is easily solved. Yesterday, my crew came back with their stories of working snow detail. Covid positive? No problem! Come to work! Fever, cough, body aches? No problem! Come to work! Just donā€™t come in the buildingā€¦ oh except to eat your meals with everyone else and other required duties. And no, you donā€™t have to wear your mask in your work vehicle. You are alone. Well except for the poor clueless guy who gets into it for the next 12 hour shift.

Iā€™m in a dark place at the moment. Need to let it goā€¦

Gives another fact to the, ā€œWell you can always work at Starbucksā€ suggestion.

Personally Iā€™m glad Iā€™ve never gone to any of them. Itā€™s mainly because I donā€™t drink coffee, of course, but morphed into a badge of personal honor over the years (well before Covid) - anti-culture perhaps. Now I have another reason I can tell folks as to why ā€œweā€ should pick another place to go besides my own little rebellion.

ps My oldest has been in a job hunt recently (looking quite a bit higher than Starbucks) and every place heā€™s interviewed at has asked his vax status, auto-rejecting those not vaxxed.

12 Likes

Thatā€™s good to hear. Iā€™m glad employers are showing some common sense.

4 Likes

Saw this on BBC. 57 years old and deliberately catching it while not vaccinated. Her H and S had it and were vaxxed. Theyā€™re fine. Reading the story I wonder if it was a blood clot that killed her?

@Creekland, the firm I run is not hiring now, but if I were, I would require vaccination even though everyone is predominantly remote. Indeed, I encouraged one team member decline a client engagement that would have involved 20 people in an underground room in DFW airport (without any special ventilation). Iā€™d rather not have anyone get sick because of their work.

Iā€™m co-founder of a startup that is growing and it is hiring ā€“ again all remote work. I wonder if there is any vax requirement. I doubt it because of the age group and remote work. The CEO (who is vaxxed and boosted) is 29 and the hires are probably 35 and younger.

2 Likes

My oldest is 29. I assume most others heā€™s competing against for jobs are in their 20s or 30s.

And heā€™s been looking in the IT and Financial Analyst/Business sectors. He was looking close to where he lives in NC, but last we talked with him heā€™s likely to relocate due to better options. All places both close to him and further afield have required vaxxes.

The coffee is very expensive, and in my opinion, bitter and way too strong. But others wonā€™t have any other kind.

:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Some employers are requiring vaccination to enter the workplace, but have not made such a requirement for fully remote employees. However, such a requirement could affect mostly remote employees who occasionally come to the workplace. Of course, many jobs that can be done mostly remote cannot be done fully remote.

Today marks 2 years from the date of first Covid diagnosis in the US (just north of us).

1 Like

Walmart online has Binex kits available for purchase with delivery next day or two days. I was told about this by another CC posterā€¦and just ordered two boxes.

1 Like

I saw this on facebook. Article never says she died of Covid. Says she choked to death.

And Facebook would never twist anything, right? Her son did say she ā€œchoked to death,ā€ but that was his way of describing his motherā€™s rapid decline as a result of covid, from back ache to the loss her ability to breath. In his words, choking to death. The same son had a very clear message for those who spread misinformation about covid and the vaccine.

Family members have said they consider her death to have been from the virus, though official autopsy results have yet to be published.

Mr. Rek, 23, took to social media, blaming those who spread lies about vaccines for his motherā€™s death.

ā€œYou took away my mom, who based her arguments on your convictions,ā€ he said, directing his comments to the opponents of vaccination. ā€œI despise you.ā€

Canā€™t say I disagree with his opinion of such people.

3 Likes

Well that settles it. It must be true then. :roll_eyes:

Users are reminded that legitimate news sources are better sources for current events, and that it is not the moderatorsā€™ responsibility to fact check.

12 Likes

She choked to death on her own fluids! Because she had COVID! Wonderful way to die. Sheesh.

2 Likes

Sounds to me like she could have suffered from a pulmonary embolism. Known increased risk in Covid-positive people. Kills suddenly. Symptoms resemble choking to death.

2 Likes