Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

From the New York Times page, summary in the US overall:

• 8% “Watchful” (high in DE, low in NH, PA, VT)
  • 9% “Cost Anxious” (high in AK, low in MA, VT)
  • 4% “System Distrusters” (high in GA, low in WV)
  • 14% “Covid Skeptics” (high in AR, low in VT)

Sorry - NYT is behind a paywall for me. That sums to 35%. Are the other 65 vaccinated?

The same page says that about 60% have gotten at least the first dose (although that means that some are still in the process, as opposed to being fully vaccinated). That does not account for the other 5% (are they reluctant but not for one of the four categories of reasons, or are they trying to get vaccinated but have been unable to do so because of access issues?).

The primary source is always a good place to look. The first thing that jumps out is that the survey concluded Mar 25. (way before most areas saw increase in vax availability)

40% Vaccinated (at least 1 dose)
22% Enthusiasts (plan on getting second dose – again note survey date)
6% Watchful (wait and see)
9% Cost-Anxious (even tho free vax, but again note survey timing*)
7% System Distrusters (believe that they’ve been mistreated by health care)
16% Covid Skeptics (believe one or more conspiracy theories)

• In our community, local Rx and grocery chains are starting to advertise free vaccines

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5f7671d12c27e40b67ce4400/t/60a3d7b3301db14adb211911/1621350327260/FINAL+for+posting_Facebook+Survey+Summary+Document+for+Website.docx.pdf

1 Like

Any mention of those who have already had COVID and think that is enough? Because that is a reason I hear

3 Likes

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00662-0/fulltext indicates that prior natural infection appears to be about 80.5% effective against subsequent infection, but only 47.1% for age 65 and over.

In addition, prior natural infection also generated antibodies against the nucleocapsid protein, which do not neutralize the virus, but which may increase the risk of antibody dependent enhancement. The following figure (bottom left) in https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2101927 shows that blocking of binding to the receptor binding domain is quite variable after natural infection but before vaccination.

2 Likes

I’m aware that if you’ve had COVID you should still get a vaccine.

But I continue to hear that excuse for not getting the vaccine. I’ve already had COVID, I have antibodies, I’m good.

4 Likes

My brother says this. He’s a conspiracy theorist and says the vaccines have monkey DNA in them. I told him as we are all essentially monkeys, or pretty close to it, I have no problem with that. :grinning:

8 Likes

@Lindagaf , I heard that the vaccine contained aborted male fetusus. SMH

I thought the vaccine was putting a tracking chip in all of us!

Maybe the monkey DNA is IN the tracking chip?

2 Likes

Only male fetuses? Wonder why?

2 Likes

@Lindagaf. Who knows. And that was from my sister. I’m trusting my MD daughter and MD son in law. She can believe what she wants, I won’t have any part of that.

2 Likes

Haven’t you guys heard that MSFT and others are looking into whether DNA can be used as a computer readable data storage? Wink wink!

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00534-w

Too bad so sad… there is no DNA in the mRNA vaccines. Lol.

How many people held magnets up to their arm at the injection site for their vaccine? :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have a friend who had COVID-19 and knows she still has antibodies b/c she gives blood regularly. She is not anti-vax but is waiting/hoping more research will come out showing that she can get one Pfizer vaccination instead of two.

2 Likes

H and I are regular blood donors but they stopped the antibody testing a few months ago as more and more people were being vaccinated.

Unless they did it very recently, it hasn’t been stopped in our area. Both H and I donated within the past 5 weeks (him 3 weeks) and our blood was tested since we wanted it to be (just had to sign for it).

In my area, the balance between those who are strongly pro vaccine and those who are waiting or avoiding or claiming they are is doe several months after Covid is causing a big divide. As I mentioned elsewhere, it’s causing problems in planning group luncheons and hosting events in one’s home. I voiced hesitancy in hosting a large bridal shower in my home with many people I do not know, some of whom are not vaccinated or whose vaccine status is unknown. Someone else stepped up to host it in their home but gave me a lecture about science. Appreciate that she stepped up. I will still cohost. But I have a right not to want a large group that contains unvaccinated people (some of whom are elderly) in my home.

7 Likes

The problem is that for some people, they are finding that the vaccines aren’t working that well.

When you invite people into your home and you don’t know their vaccinated status, it may be problematic for some of the invitees.

Yes the vaccine works for the vast majority of people. But the best defense is for all of the participants to be vaccinated. Then no one is compromised.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/18/immunocompromised-coronavirus-vaccines-response/

1 Like