Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

In my area, the anti-maskers are also the anti-vaxxers, and I see the posts on FB about how they will lie about their vaccination status if asked (just as they previously lied about having a medical exemption from wearing a mask).

2 Likes

Hopefully his death will be able to convince some of his devotees to believe otherwise as it would give his death some purpose at least. I feel for the family of any 33 year old who dies. It’s way too young.

Same here.

I live in a state that has a high level of vaccinated people, and the unvaxxed that I know seem to be using it as a political statement. They are not anti-vaccination, but seem to be using their reluctance as a sign of their political affiliation. Just calling 'em as I see 'em.

4 Likes

If the reason is “don’t want to be sick after the second shot” then suggest at least the first shot which still yields some good immunity numbers.

3 Likes

I will not be getting the gene therapy mRNA or the J&J vaccine until fully approved and long term affects are known. I am not at high risk of serious adverse affects of covid 19.
My older family members took the gene therapy because they have high risk factors.

My kids have also chosen not to until fully approved and long term studies have been done. They are at basically no risk of covid and we have well over a year of data to show that.

It is a personal choice and one that should not be forced on anyone since only approved for emergency use and not fully approved.

I’m a data driven decision maker. It’s clear from the data what the actual risk of covid is, it’s seasonality etc.

3 Likes

If using Google you will not find any articles. I use duck duck go and found that info.

Wrong.

6 Likes

@mom481 the Phizer and Moderna vaccines use mRNA. Your genes are in your DNA, not the RNA. Your DNA is in the nucleus of the cell. mRNA targets your ribosomes, which are located outside of the nucleus, to tell it to code a specific protein that mimics the spike protein on the Covid 19 virus molecule. The presence of the foreign spike proteins triggers our immune system to start creating antibodies like they do after traditional vaccines deliver a version of actual virus to your cells.

It is impossible for the mRNA vaccine to cross the nuclear membrane. Therefore it is impossible for the mRNA vaccine to, in any way, alter your DNA. Anyone who suggests otherwise absolutely pedaling a conspiracy theory.

23 Likes

Never said anything about a “conspiracy theory” and don’t believe anything of the sort. The mRNA is not a traditional vaccine and that is what I was trying to point out. Anyone that suggests it is is not correct. Sorry I didn’t spell that out. So my family and I choice to wait until it is approved.

I thought this was a thread to share whether or not you are getting the vaccine.
Instead its almost like a bunch of teenagers trying to use peer pressure to get their friends to join in. It needs to stop. It’s time we stop being so divisive and learn to respect everyone’s opinions and decisions.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Yikes, that is your opinion. It doesn’t make my opinion or decision “wrong” just different than yours. Please respect that. Thanks

Do you and your family wear masks in indoor public places as the unvaccinated are supposed to do?

2 Likes

Ok, it’s a rabbit trail - I admit it - but having a mom who relatively recently died of cancer (a horrid way to go), I’m very much rooting for mRNA vaccines to hopefully be able to wipe it out in the future.

I’d be first in line for any of these they want to try out on “average” people having seen the success with the Covid vaxes using the technology.

9 Likes

Scubasue’s point was that MRNA vaccines are per se not gene therapy, so it’s inaccurate to describe them as such
which is how you described these vaccines in post #1145. Accuracy in terminology matters.

20 Likes

But they are also not vaccines as they were previously defined. Dictionaries have changed the definition of vaccine since Covid mRNA shots were developed.

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=50886

1 Like

I get “personal choice”
to an extent. But there is also the “greater good” to be considered. (Not to mention the risk of what getting COVID can do to you.)

I don’t understand the political affiliation related to not getting the vaccine. It was the former White House administration that did Operation Warp Speed to get vaccines developed in the time frame they did and the former president himself got a vaccine.

I would be more comfortable if those who had vaccine reluctance/are unvaccinated would continue to wear masks. But the unvaccinated I know are also anti-maskers and their hesitancy to get vaccinated is not based on concern about the science around it. And it isn’t some big philosophical reason - because a number of anti-COVID vaxxers I know said they would get it if they had to in order to travel. All the reasons they have told me basically are about them, them, them, and no concern about anyone else.

I can’t help but feel like they want everyone else to take the “risk” so they can have the benefits. Selfish.

I, of course, do not include people with legitimate medical concerns and conditions in this - those are the people we should be trying to protect!

12 Likes

Exactly. What the “ wait and seeers” seem to miss is the ability to understand that the answer to the question “ if not me, who?” shouldn’t be “somebody else”.

2 Likes

What “gene therapy” are you talking about?

3 Likes

It’s common for dictionaries to catch up to new science. There was a time when “spaceship” was defined as, “an imaginary object
”

You can’t define what isn’t known and when new things are found they only need new words if they are significantly different from what existed before. Model Ts and BMWs are both cars, no? Yet they are very different from each other.

Re the statement that people make, “I have an immune system so I don’t need the vaccine.” The analogy I heard is that that’s like saying, “I have a brain so I don’t need an education.” Vaccines teach your immune system how to fight off viruses. I like that analogy.

I just have a really hard time with people who are foolish enough not to get vaccinated (unless they’re part of the VERY small group whose doctors advise them not to).

19 Likes