Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

They are fine until they catch a disease and get very sick…and pass it on to babies or kids and adults who are immune-compromised. We’ve seen it with the measles and with pertussis to give two examples.

But they don’t. There have been no measles or pertussis outbreaks at my kids’ schools and our state health department is pretty responsive when a contagious outbreak of something does, indeed, occur (we’ve had personal experience with this). Anyway, it’s state law: Will 'o the People. By the way, University of Minnesota will not be mandating the vaccine this year. Based on their surveys, it appears that a critical mass have already gotten vaccinated voluntarily. Sometimes it’s best to allow people to make intelligent decisions for themselves, rather than assume everyone’s an idiot but Yours Truly. I suspect that this thread wouldn’t have the number of views and comments as it does had more people simply assumed that most Americans have common sense.

2 Likes

My first child got chicken pox before the vaccine came out. It was horrible. I cannot imagine inflicting that (or COVID!!) on my child intentionally.

3 Likes

I am not secluded. I see family and friends. I go to work in an office every day. I shop. I eat outside at restaurants. I also wear an N95 mask (indoor only).That is the only thing I do differently. It’s the only thing I’ve done differently for the last 16 months. It’s really not a big deal. Maybe I’ll get tired of that and get a vaccine at some point, but for now, it’s no inconvenience whatsoever.

2 Likes

I will repeat this as often as is necessary:

If we had the Internet in the 50’s we’d still be fighting polio.

18 Likes

Post of the day! :+1:

(Or we would have been wiped out by smallpox or something).

3 Likes

It was the same for us for months. We continued to eat out as long as our restaurants weren’t shut down. We traveled by plane. We didn’t change much of our routine except to head to sunnier climes when it was apparent that we were 100% remote for work, school, music lesson, etc. While in Florida in January, we noticed that most tended to follow the same common sense protocols that we did, and when we visited the theme parks and other large venues we noticed that masks and social distancing were sensibly required. We had absolutely zero problem, never got Covid, never worried about getting Covid, never felt that others were being irresponsible. Once in a while some kid or some older person would get too close while we were standing in line but it wasn’t difficult to correct that in a civil manner.

Maybe most of us see what we want to see - maybe there were irresponsible Covid deniers and anti-maskers surrounding us the whole time and we never realized it. Maybe we ourselves were being irresponsible by flying and dining out and enjoying ourselves. But if so, all of that had exactly ZERO negative impact. We never caught Covid, so I highly doubt we could have spread it to others.

Said this many times already: we humans are smarter than the virus. We don’t have to live in fear of it.

2 Likes

To be clear, I never said that I was planning on exposing my kids to any virus. I was simply stating that when I was younger most of the parents would purposely put all the kids together so that they can all get the virus at once and be done with it.

My plan with Covid has always been and will always be to build up my immune system and continue taking precautions that I would take for any virus.

1 Like

Where? I really want to check on this to see if it’s true. If it is, more than just your family member will know, so no need for specific “person” information - just where.

6 Likes

However, there may be pockets where herd immunity is not present. For example, it has long been the reputation where if you want to avoid getting measles and are medically unable to get measles vaccine or have a weak immune response from it, you would want to avoid certain private schools in Marin County.

2 Likes

Let’s see how anyone on CC who lost a loved one feels about that. If we are so smart, why didn’t we mix it before it became a problem

7 Likes

My healthy BIL passed away from a brain hemorrhage two years ago - pre-Covid. He was only 48 y/o.

A high school friend of mine, in perfect health, nearly died from a brain hemorrhage over 10 years ago when he was only 40.

As you pointed out, brain hemorrhages randomly happen every year, happened before Covid and will continue to happen to vaccinated and non-vaccinated people. Until there is evidence of a direct link to the vaccine, these anecdotal examples are merely speculation.

4 Likes

And here is the paper

https://www.strokejournal.org/article/S1052-3057(21)00326-8/fulltext

5 Likes

My aunt and uncle always assured me they were doing it right too - masking when indoors, keeping their distance. She lived, he didn’t.

People who draw the “normal” straws will always assume they are smarter or better. It’s human nature. People text and drive or drink and drive all the time because they are a “good driver and can handle it safely.” That is, until they can’t.

There really isn’t anyway I’ve found to reason with people or use data. It’s better to walk away.

I don’t totally disagree that some things can be done safely though - esp outdoor things. We drove to FL this past Feb and had a good time. Eating inside restaurants or being indoors among other close people wasn’t necessary for us to enjoy ourselves.

7 Likes

Where - which health care system? I don’t need to know any specific person’s info to find out what the data is.

I find it difficult to believe 96% of practicing AMA doctors would be vaccinated themselves if what is being related here were common. If there are areas with no bad Covid cases and a lot of vaccine reaction - warn people, esp folks on here. Where is it happening? We tell people about colleges and things all the time. We never have to mention any specific worker, but we name colleges. Which hospitals are involved?

Note in many areas Covid cases are directed to a specific hospital, so workers in the same system at a different place might truly not see patients with it, but it doesn’t mean they aren’t around. Most Covid vax reactions aren’t severe, but there are side effects. I imagine these people might go “anywhere” for a checkup, but it doesn’t mean their lives are in danger from the vax like Covid hospitalized people are. I’m kind of expecting this to be the case if what is mentioned on here is true and not just purely invented.

2 Likes

It may just be that some people have different tolerances for risk than you, and that they understand the numbers perfectly, perhaps better than you do.

I’m may need to walk away after the “smarter than the virus so don’t live in fear” comment.

I have a child on immune-compromising medication and we couldn’t rely on everyone out there being careful and smart (and we saw plenty of examples locally and nationally of people doing the opposite of careful and smart). We had to take extra precautions, including social isolation. We couldn’t be cavalier about it.

I literally cried when we got news of an effective vaccine and when it was our turn, we jumped at the chance to vaccinate our whole family so we could get out there and resume our lives.

9 Likes

Oh absolutely. It was one of those who was unmasked inside a restaurant with symptoms that probably killed my uncle and I doubt she cares at all. She’s probably on the internet somewhere bragging about how Covid isn’t really a thing at all because she had it and no one in her family was badly affected. They never needed to mask! If not her, it was another inside a restaurant… and they probably don’t care either.

Caring about others is definitely not a universal human trait.

My aunt and uncle took the risk, trying to do it “safely” as he assured me and he lost. Such is life. People should realize that outcome can happen - and did happen for many people.

3 Likes

Same except it’s my husband on the medication.

Got the vaccine as soon as we could. So did our kids that we didn’t see at Christmas because we needed to be extra careful.

1 Like

True. YMMV depending on locale. There is a critical mass of the vaccine-responsible here and that helps the anti-vaxxers, obviously. There can be other rude awakenings for them, however. One family I know who doesn’t vaccinate had to travel long-distance to treat their kid’s rare cancer. Little sib tagged along because mom had to keep an eye on them as well. But of course because they weren’t vaccinated they weren’t allowed inside the facility . . . it just added more stress to an already stressful situation. Hopefully many understand that in a health crisis you and your family’s vaccine status matters.

1 Like