Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

True… but he had no symptoms at all prior to this meal and no one else caught his attention, but this lady was right next to him and he could feel her cough. Almost a week later he and his wife both came down with cold symptoms. After a week or so they started to get better. She got totally better and he took a turn for the worse.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, well, it could be a chicken, esp for those who don’t want to believe it’s possible.

1 Like

I hope we can agree to disagree.

And try not to react to things Immediately, but to think about whether or not it’s worth it.

If posters have decided not to be vaccinated, there is not much we can do about it. Unfortunately my opinion is that the delta variant is much more transmissible and so my thoughts are with you, that you will be able to avoid this variant. Or the next one.

3 Likes

I’m not saying it’s not possible but I think it’s wrong to determine it as fact. I’ll leave it at that. I am sorry for your loss and won’t continue to bring it up.

3 Likes

Even asymptomatic people should wear masks. The point is that the person who infected the uncle was far more likely to have been an unmasked person who coughed or sneezed in public than a masked person. Furthermore, asymptomatic people cough and sneeze all the time, for multiple other reasons. They are still spreading the virus.

2 Likes

Don’t cough on people, especially during a pandemic, even if you don’t have Covid.

4 Likes

I always cover my cough and don’t really go around coughing on people anyways.

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear it. The lady in the restaurant who was coughing on other people obviously doesn’t have the same common sense or courtesy.

1 Like

The fact is anyone eating in these restaurants was doing so without a mask. If nothing else they were taking it down between bites. There were mask-less people all around the restaurants. Asymptomatic or not they were mask-less. Coughing or not, they were mask-less.

And the fact is that people everywhere do things they shouldn’t do every day. Speeding, aggressive driving, texting while driving, drinking and driving, not wearing a seatbelt, eating while driving, just to name a few. Any of these things could contribute to an injury to themselves or someone else.

I doubt anyone here can say they are perfect.

1 Like

replied to wrong comment

With all due respect, it’s not like saying we are smarter than cancer. Many of us found simple work-arounds so that Covid didn’t take over our lives. I personally know several cancer patients who wish they had it so easy! One of my kids was repeatedly exposed to Covid due to co-workers who made some very poor decisions in violation of social gathering restrictions, but because they themselves followed the Covid protocols at work and in place in our state, they were one of the few at their work NOT to get Covid. I’m sure many cancer patients wish that cancer prevention depended on such simple habits as mask-wearing, social distancing and hand washing! If I may say so, Covid also has a higher survivability rate than does Cancer, although with Covid it declines notably with age. We have extended family who got Covid but neither they nor their physicians were overtly concerned. One is still experiencing mild taste problems (so has long-Covid) but of course that doesn’t begin to compare to another young person of similar age I know who experienced hearing loss and other complications due to cancer treatment. So there are some quite remarkable differences, although Covid in the 12 months beginning March 2020 killed nearly as many as cancer does over the same time period.

I agree, which is why I’m so glad we have a vaccine.

1 Like

The only one of those that I do is speeding and then always within 10 mph of the limit if on highways or 5 mph if not. The others are too risky for me personally. I have a cousin who’s a police officer and he tells me they prefer if people travel with traffic on highways because it’s those doing the speed limit there who tend to cause the accidents (from traffic backing up behind them and getting restless, etc). They only issue speeding tickets in his domain when someone is going 10+ mph over the limit.

But yes, people do those other things and cause accidents. Most people look down upon the one who was reckless causing it. If fewer people would do them, our society would be better off and fewer people would get injured or die needlessly.

'Tis very similar to Covid aspects actually.

I agree that most will prepare to be out when getting the vaccine and that this is smart planning. That’s pretty typical. I’m talking about some of the other problems that people don’t expect but that which seem to happen. It would be more helpful if people could be prepared for those. This thread is about vaccine reluctance and I can attest that I know several people who simply won’t get the vaccine yet because they know someone who had something weird happen to them. In one case the person had the vaccine scheduled when his colleague ended up in the hospital for several days of testing due to heart problems (they never found anything that could have caused it). We are watching all this unfold in real time. If we had five years of data behind us with every weird thing that happened in the early days examined and reexamined and explained- that would be a different issue. I believe this is the primary reason why otherwise very intelligent, highly educated people (at least the ones I know) won’t get vaccinated yet.

I’ve looked at the data backwards and forwards now. All else equal, it appears that at every age group it’s better to get the vaccine, even if you account for the disparity in pandemic length vs. length of vaccine availability. I too am of the opinion that anything weird is typically nothing to get alarmed over. But telling that to someone who’s experiencing chest pain is - well - inappropriate. Chest pain is very alarming.

2 Likes

Definitely! I used to deal with it a lot until the cause was finally discovered by accident - too much iron in my diet. Even now if I eat too much iron from meat or with iron added foods like cereal my chest will tell me. Even when I know what the cause is my mind wonders, “is that the cause this time?”

I’m glad to be post vax, with antibodies, and without the stress of wondering what to do or expect. I’m also glad my long hauler’s symptoms went away (so far) with his vaxes. I’ve read every study I could find about long haulers wondering how awful things would be for him in the future decade or two as he aged. Now I have more hope than before, but I keep my fingers crossed that his improvement isn’t temporary.

2 Likes

Totally agree. They are probably also more likely to die from a car crash en route to the vaccine appointment. However, death rates from Covid are also disparate so that information is going to resonate better with some than others. Also, many simply don’t compare the theoretical to the here and now issues of their daily lives, such as trying to schedule the time off from work in case you need a few days to recover from the vaccine. Those little complications, layered on top of everything else, can easily put people off and toss them into the category of “vaccine hesitant.”

1 Like

It’s also inappropriate to tell vulnerable people or people with loved ones who are vulnerable they don’t have to live in fear of Covid.

It’s true that if we take precautions, we can protect ourselves and our loved ones (and I think that’s your point), but that doesn’t mean we aren’t or shouldn’t be afraid…especially if we are or love someone who is at high risk.

And, by the way, I totally get why people are afraid of the vaccine. I really hate needles and I have a (largely irrational) fear of vaccine reaction.

1 Like

I still want to know which system, city, and state it is in. Between my contacts and others on cc it would be nice to confirm what is going on vs just one person saying so. No personal information needs to be shared at all - just facts and data.

2 Likes

Oh I think that people should have a lot of respect for the fact that Covid kills! Most of us have loved ones who were/are at risk. My 90 year old parents shut themselves up and wouldn’t let the kids or grandkids visit precisely because they were very aware that Covid kills. We had contingency plans in place to rescue them from their retirement community if things were going south there. We would have stopped at nothing, even though they live several hours away by air (we would have driven had we needed to). So that was our daily life and I’m sure many others have the same story. But now for the blessings: they both embraced technology to the fullest and we actually talked to them more during Covid than we did before. They seem to have emerged from their 15 months of hermitage more mentally acute than when they first moved to their community right before Covid hit (I suspect that even with Covid things were less stressful for them than when they were living at their house). They even made money from the pandemic-panic of the stock market! (they were on their computers buying and selling the whole time . . . ) So sure - we were on high alert, we were concerned, and they were very relieved when they got their vaccine. But no one lived in fear. We worked on finding solutions, some of which we implemented, some we didn’t need to. Maybe we are just lucky? Not sure. But I prefer looking for those opportunities and blessings. And my parents have lived long enough to remember hardship before.

Sorry you will simply have to decide whether the information I’m sharing is accurate or not. It’s worth every penny you paid to read it :rofl:

1 Like