Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

My post was in response to @my3girls 's “reply”.

Some kind of technical glitch must have occurred while posting, I presume.

“Male diagnosed with myocarditis after vaccine” If diagnosed by a doctor, then this was reported for him.

1 Like

Regarding VAERS:

You go there to report, not conclude. You cannot find causality for any particular side effect by consulting VAERS. You cannot assume any claim made on VAERS is true.

The value of VAERS mainly lies in finding out about widespread worrisome trends that must THEN be verified through actual study using scientific methods.

6 Likes

You can say that again.

What is “slow mode”?

That is true - now that the CDC has requested medical professionals to be on the lookout and report. There are likely more that were seen and went unreported and then even more that the family felt wasn’t severe enough to go in but which had the kid down for a few days. We know a family in this latter situation. One might think that “mild” chest pain is no big deal because they aren’t connecting it to heart inflammation. That was the case for my friend and her kid. One doesn’t tend to think of heart inflammation because they didn’t know. It wasn’t on the CDC’s list of side effects to look for. Now it is.

ETA: I know for a fact that medical providers do NOT routinely ask if you have had the vaccine if you come in for weird inflammatory symptoms. Just an FYI on that based on personal experience. Medical providers seem to be like the rest of us - they take their cues from the CDC.

1 Like

My background is in broadcast news. If an anonymous source made serious claims to our network and cited an unnamed “medical provider” as their source without any details that could be verified we’d look into it then relegate the story to the circular file. Insisting the information is accurate and the source trustworthy wouldn’t be enough. Citing an unnamed authority figure would be viewed as an attempt to legitimize a rumor and wouldn’t be taken seriously.

I know for a fact that medical providers do NOT routinely ask if you have had the vaccine if you come in for weird inflammatory symptoms. Just an FYI on that based on personal experience.

You know that your medical provider doesn’t ask about vaccines when people complain about inflammatory symptoms. If that’s important to you then maybe you should shop around for a new provider.

11 Likes

For the record, I believe you 100%. Those that still do not believe that this vaccine could cause serious adverse effects will have to do some research and not expect it to be handed to them on a silver platter. It’s actually very easy to find this information if people are willing to look for it.

3 Likes

Anecdotal information but I’ve have had a flurry of medical appointments since the spring.

I’ve noted that they have all either noted that I’ve been vaccinated per their charts or I’ve been asked.

4 Likes

Slow mode means you can post only so often. I think it’s every ten minutes. So not that slow.

1 Like

https://abcnews.go.com/US/delta-variant-infecting-mounting-number-people-rural-kansas/story?id=78375257

Imagine that, states with lower vaccination rates are seeing rising numbers of infections due to the Delta variant.

<<< The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services issued a news release Wednesday saying that the state “is experiencing a rise in individuals contracting the Delta variant,” while urging locals to get vaccinated.

Missouri is now leading the nation with the most new COVID-19 cases per 100,000 residents over the last seven days, according to The New York Times tracker.

Mercy Hospital Springfield issued a plea on social media for Missourians to get vaccinated, painting a somber picture of the crisis unfolding at hospitals in the area.

“Bed capacity is strained. ED waits are long. COVID patients are younger, sicker and unvaccinated. Vaccines are free, available and effective. What are you waiting for? 82? 102? 152? What about 1? 1 person you care about? You?” wrote Erik Frederick, Mercy’s chief administrative officer chief administrative officer.>>>

5 Likes

Come on now! You are putting “medical providers” into a box with your sample of one, your medical provider? No wonder rumors and misinformation gets out there.

Also that’s a big disservice to the skill, integrity and knowledge of medical providers to put them in a box with the general population - saying they take their cues from the CDC. Shame on that.

9 Likes

Probably referring to this:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01290-3/fulltext

But that news means that there is more incentive to get boosters against variants like B.1.617.2 if and when such boosters become available. In the mean time, it is still better to be vaccinated against “classic” SARS-CoV-2 when encountering B.1.617.2 with some antibody effect than encountering B.1.617.2 with no antibody effect.

1 Like

I don’t think I would rely on a website in India. Here is another article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/15/the-covid-delta-variant-how-effective-are-the-vaccines

Here is the most important fact: “Two weeks after the second dose, the differences in vaccine effectiveness by variant were more modest, with the Pfizer/BioNTech jab offering 88% protection against symptomatic disease with the Delta variant, compared with 94% protection against the Alpha variant. For the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, the figures were 67% and 74% respectively.”

88% protection against symptomatic disease is not bad. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Please share your information, esp the medical system that has seen few or no bad Covid effects, but several bad vax effects. Plenty of us on here share links and hospital data can be fact checked without needing any name of an individual.

If you are unwilling to do so, please quit reporting these things as facts.

No one on cc is surprised you are willing to believe someone who is saying what you already believe - even without proof. It’s human nature to believe what one wants to believe even in the face of facts that show otherwise.

As I posted before from Richard Feynman:

“It doesn’t matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn’t matter how smart you are. If it doesn’t agree with experiment, it’s wrong.”

And if the data were to be right (there’s a medical system with hardly any Covid bad effects, but a lot of Covid vax bad effects), people on here would want to know TBH. We’d want to delve into why that one is an outlier.

It is super routine in medical lad’s experience for providers to ask Covid status now (did you have it or have you been vaccinated)? I can’t speak for other places though.

2 Likes

That probably refers to
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01358-1/fulltext

Good post. “My barber’s ex-wife’s second cousin’s neighbor’s boyfriend says…” Ack.

3 Likes

LOL - first of all, your standard is laudable but a bit much for a discussion forum. Second, this is a conversation explaining context for “vaccine-reluctance.” We are hopefully not pursuing others to rout out their sources. You, of course, may continue to do so when you read something that you personally don’t agree with.

Our medical providers are excellent here. But they are like medical providers in many other locales. The vaccine is no big deal and the CDC hasn’t directed them to ask, so they don’t. Following protocol doesn’t always encourage “outside the box” thinking.

If you’re going to make claims that most of us are skeptical about, you need to provide proof. Otherwise, please don’t make them.

If my medical provider did not ask me about COVID, I would find a new one.

5 Likes

Of course, if COVID-19 or vaccination against COVID-19 is already in your medical record, your medical provider may not need to ask.

1 Like