VaTech vs NC State

<p>I started a thread on the NC state board to get some insight on choosing between the two, but realized I may get one sided information. </p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/north-carolina-state-university/1450505-nc-state-vs-vatech.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/north-carolina-state-university/1450505-nc-state-vs-vatech.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I am trying to help my son decide between the two engineering schools. He has already been accepted to NC State, and is fairly confident on VaTech (1360 SAT, 4.0 UW GPA). The programs themselves are virtually identical on paper - large land grand university, well established engineering schools, ABET, etc. The one obvious difference is the location. Raleigh is very much a city with a university, whereas you could say Blacksburg is a University with a town.</p>

<p>I will add that I (Dad) am an alumni of one (won't say which for now) and the other is out of state. </p>

<p>If you are facing this same choice, or have already made it, any insight would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>NC State was never on our radar when my two sons were applying to Engineering schools. But then we are in-state Virginia. NC has very well regarded universities but there was nothing about NC State that was going to overcome VT’s reputation and in-state cost.</p>

<p>For engineering recruiting the WSJ places Tech way above NC State:
[School</a> Rankings by College Major – Job Recruiter Top Picks - WSJ.com](<a href=“School Rankings by College Major – Job Recruiter Top Picks - WSJ”>School Rankings by College Major – Job Recruiter Top Picks - WSJ)</p>

<p>Our son is thriving there in engineering!</p>

<p>UVAyeah - That is an interesting list, thanks. A lot of lists are based on things you can’t directly relate to such as research dollars. Recruiters on the other hand want to get their hands on the best graduates. To play a little bit of devil’s advocate - is the ranking on this list important? Or is simply making the list the real criteria? For example, UVA is a good school, but is not on the list.</p>

<p>I think this decision is going to come down to the simple question of “where do you want to live for the next 4 years?” It looks like another stroll down College Avenue and Hillsborough Street may be in my future.</p>

<p>I think that with young adults at that age, you have hit the nail on the head as to what that simple question will be. </p>

<p>I will tell you that I do have a kid at an OOS public and socially it’s been rough for him as he hardly knew anyone and seemed like everyone else there had many connection points. He isn’t particulary out going or social and did not have to be, having known a core of kids for a long time prior to this, and he found this very difficult. </p>

<p>I honestly don’t think that it matters much for engineering majors where they got theri degree unless it’s a top 5 or so program vs a truly local school. Even then, those kids I know going to those small locals are getting employed as long as their field has the jobs.</p>

<p>I found after extensive research that Tech has one of the top programs, both for content and hiring. We are out of state and feel the price is worth having our son at Tech.
The reason Tech was high on the referenced list is that Tech engineering graduates are highly prized by recruiters. In I feel our son will have excellent career prospects out of Tech. Plus, of course, it has a great campus and is terrific socially and has solid career advising and support. My son is also participating in two of their excellent study abroad programs. Go Hokies!</p>

<p>I think Tech is a great school and my son is very happy there. We’re willing to pay the OOS tuition because his in-state engineering option was far, far weaker and he wanted to be in the Corps of Cadets. If VT is your son’s in-state option, it’s the better choice - living in Raleigh isn’t worth the OOS expense. However, if you’re from NC I think NC State is the better option; VT is slightly better ranked and better known, but not so much to make up for the difference in cost.</p>

<p>I am one to most often recommend saving the $ and going for an in state school. VT’s recommendation in engineering is outstanding, and even for OOSers it is usually a bargain, but considering the low in state prices for residents for universities in NC, I just couldn’t see heading to the 'Burg instead. </p>

<p>cptofthehouse pointed out a true social factor to consider. However, without trying to make Tech seem like Utopia, its notorious sense of community does seem to help OOSers and in staters alike feel like they are all a huge part of something. Those Hokies are a very unified bunch of folks. Growing up in VA I had always heard about their sense of togetherness, but having attended a small LAC I never really understood it or appreciated it until my kid went there. In other words, my pocketbook might make me shy away from sending my kid there, but my geographical location would not.</p>

<p>My instate kid is graduating in May in engineering(good job lined up already) . Two of his 3 roommates are OOS students(Maryland and Georgia). Not sure the OOS social factor at Virginia Tech is that big a deal for most kids. My son knew some kids from his high school but he made friends primarily from his dorm hall and classes. Finances are a different matter if you’re a NC resident and NC State would be a lot less expensive. Good luck!</p>

<p>KandKsmom - Although I was silent at the start of this thread, I am a Hokie. So don’t fear making it sound like Utopia. Honestly, I think part of that community is driven by the fact Blacksburg is a small town, and everyone has a shared experience at some level. </p>

<p>Hokiesfan - If I lived in VA, I am convinced he would have applied to VT early decision and NCSU would not have even been discussed. Alas, that is not the case. The question now becomes “is the experience of Tech worth the difference?” My gut says yes, checkbook says no. :slight_smile: Maybe I should offer to buy him a car if he goes to State, I would save money (just kidding)</p>

<p>My son had this same decision to make 2 years ago. We live in NC so NCSU was in-state & VT OOS. Both are great engineering schools so I don’t think you can go wrong with either. For my son, he did not like the city feel of Raleigh (he attended a summer program at NCSU in the engineering field he wanted - loved the program but didn’t like the school). He attended VT’s soccer camp & that’s when he fell in love with the school. He has a lot of friends who are at NCSU, some are still in engineering & some aren’t. I encouraged him to do Galileo last year to help make some friends as he didn’t know anyone at VT. He joined Circle K (service club) which made him a part of VT. He loves the school & is very involved in serveral organizations. Good luck!</p>

<p>soon2bvtmom,
Seems I am in the same situation as the OP. (I am also a Hokie) Was the Galileo program a deciding factor for you? I was at VT for open house last fall, and had a tour of the lab space they have created in the dorm and was really impressed that a workspace like that could be provided.</p>

<p>My friends who are engineers say it would not make an iota of difference as to which school is chosen in terms of job prospects in engineering. Not one bit.</p>

<p>I’d go to whichever one is in-state unless you’re rolling in money and willing to make up the difference. I love VT and it’s a great school, but taking out loans to go to an out of state school is a horrible idea.</p>

<p>I agree, chuy. Hopefully though the son was given financial parameters BEFORE applying OOS to Virginia Tech. It is sad when kids are accepted to schools that they may possibly prefer but the finances don’t work out. Best to figure finances out before the acceptances come out. Not saying the OP has not had these discussions but that is unclear to me. Sounds like finances are a consideration . Good luck with the decision.</p>

<p>sevmon - I am glad you brought that up on the financial parameters. There has been significant discussion. Paying for instate is under control. If VT is really what my son wants to do, then he will have to personally contribute due to the large difference. I have provided all the direction/advise I can to narrow the choice down to these two schools. He needs to decide what he wants. </p>

<p>Captnofthehouse summed it up well - the schools are peers. As an engineering graduate of VT, and I work with NC state grads, there is no discernible difference.</p>

<p>DecideSomeHow, It sounds like you’ve done a great job with your son in laying things out for him. It is unfortunate that finances have to come into play but that is the reality for the vast majority of us. He has two great choices!</p>

<p>Decidesomehow,</p>

<p>What is most important to you and your son? Academics or financial? The two schools are very close in terms of overall engineering programs, but what about a specific engineering disciplines such as chemical engineering. Does one have an advantage over the other in that specific engineering discipline? Only you can research that answer and give it a value. </p>

<p>In terms of financial it is not even going to be close unless the other school is giving you incentive or in state tuition. I’ve been to both schools many dozens of times on business. IMHO, there is no question VT is a far better school in terms of facilities, food, and overall campus aesthetics. </p>

<p>Good luck with your choice!</p>

<p>Total COA for NCState is ~20,000 per year. OOS for VT is ~33,000 per year. That’s 13k per year difference, or 52k in 4 years (or 65k in 5.)</p>

<p>If he’s got the scholarships or cash to where that doesn’t matter then great. If he’s going to have to take out more loans to cover the difference (or even half the difference) that’s irresponsible. He won’t think that way because that’s 23 year old Fenway’s Son paying, not 18 year old Fenway’s Son, but you can’t let him go into that much debt.</p>

<p>Sorry, just saw I got the name of the poster mixed up.</p>

<p>Also FYI, this is coming from a 24 year old graduate of VT engineering that has a good job with a little bit above average pay. I was in-state for 3 of my years and got good aid and ended up with ~25k in debt. I couldn’t begin to imagine if that number were doubled.</p>