Vent about UC decisions

It has. It’s the only other CSU my daughter applied to besides SLO. However, with the HORRENDOUS housing problems there, she quickly crossed it off her list.

2 Likes

Did your CC tell you that you are considered for in state tuition for UC if your child attend boarding school outside of CA? From my experience, one of the residency requirements is that the child needs to attend high school in California. Furthermore, when colleges consider geographical diversity, they consider boarding school kids to be from the state where they go to school, not where their parents reside. I could be wrong!

3 posts were split to a new thread: California UC’s or Purdue for CS

OOS, Washington resident, UCI\UCD

Yes he did (and he spent 20 yrs in CA as a CC)
The child is a dependent of the parents and cannot have residency in the state of the boarding school
Parents live/work/pay taxes in CA = whole family is resident for tuition (but not admission)
Flip side is true as well - graduating from CA boarding school with parents living outside the state doesn’t make you a. Resident for tuition purposes

1 Like

I have no issue if they have different priorities, give me the tax credits and I will be a happy parent to find a institute for my child. You cannot take the taxes for all the life of the parents and then deny admission.

1 Like

We all pay taxes for services we don’t personally get to use. There’s nothing unique about that.

11 Likes

Your tax money also pays for CSUs and community colleges, both of which remain options even your choice of UC campus does not does work out. Every single California tax payer has some option for post-high school education, in most cases, at a great four-year university (some CSUs have acceptance rates over 80%).

But what about people without kids who will never get to see a return on their tax investment in the form of public schools and universities? Should they stop paying? Or be mad about paying?

15 Likes

Here is an absurd question:

If UCs change their policy to admin in-state ONLY. Will parents be comfortable with OOS tuition?

1 Like

They wouldn’t need all of us in state applicants to pay out of state tuition to fill the budget gap, that’s like 300,000 students or something. It would be a nominal increase. I don’t think they should not take out of state students, but I think a cap of more like 10% would be in order with the glut of qualified Californians we have here wanting a UC education.

2 Likes

Nope. Plus we will bemoan the fact that our universities are no longer considered elite since part of their appeal is the mix of kids from all over the country and the world who want to attend.

3 Likes

But it often seems that they don’t simply want “a UC education.” They want an education at a specific UC campus or campuses. How many people continue to turn up their nose at UC Merced, although it would be a safety campus for many applicants and essentially ensure them access to a UC education (even in impacted majors like CS)?

5 Likes

Agree it is a bit extreme. However, there needs to be that carrot!

I am also guilty of this. I don’t see the value in Merced for my ‘23. I wouldn’t spend 160k for my student to go there or Riverside and our lists were constructed with that in mind. I’m not sure what the solution is. Certainly those schools will improve in desirability over time, but that could take decades.

Exactly! It is the demographics these universities attract that make them the best. And it is a minor penalty we pay for it! They have increased the quota this year, and we need to see what that translates to in numbers.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california/article/uc-berkeley-ucla-gpa-17852100.php

Sure, and it’s fine to prefer specific campuses for whatever reason (and there could be many reasons for wanting one campus, but not another). But a few campuses can’t accommodate everyone. Even if we did limit OOS to 10%, there would still be far more interested and qualified candidates for the “top” campuses than those campuses could hold. But there is space at Merced, and there is space the CSUs, and of course community colleges (and we are so lucky to have the TAG program for guaranteed UC transfer), so there are ALWAYS public options available to California residents who want a return on their tax money. It may not be your first or even second choice, but there is always access to a public education here.

8 Likes

They have OOS students where they can get the money. The top 3 UC funding should be paused and let them take as many OOS they want. If they dont give priority to in-state then don’t tax payers money.

I presume you guys saw this:

Like ELC designation for transfers? Seems like a great idea.