Vent about UC decisions

I believe it is a delicate balance that UCs face with regards to attracting globally in the interests of Californians. UC Berkeley averaged 90% in-state freshman enrollment over the 13 years prior to the state budget crisis. I’m pretty sure Berkeley was considered elite then as well. To me the more important aspect is attracting top talent to CA to remain in CA after graduating. I do not believe OOS/international enrollment needs to be anywhere near 20% to achieve that. FWIW, I think OOS/Intl enrollment should be <10% and financial aid for top targets should be generous to incentivize their enrollment (e.g., generous need-based and/or forgivable loans for graduating in intended major and remaining employed in CA within that field for 3 years after graduation… i.e., a service requirement for free college). Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I fundamentally disagree that a college in a highly diverse state like CA needs to have more than 10% OOS/Intl to be considered elite.

3 Likes

If the UC wanted talent, they wouldn’t have ditched the SAT. Against the recommendations of their own faculty. See https://archive.ph/2021.11.23-001604/https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/07/why-university-california-dropping-sat/619522/ “The University of California Is Lying to Us” Since implementing this, all the UC’s predictably and steadily comprise less talented undergraduates. I wonder if they have any internal metrics to measure this decline, I doubt it.

4 Likes

I read the article you posted and found some interesting points. I assume by your post that your child didn’t get the outcome they were looking for and I’m sorry for that. Hopefully they have some other choices they can focus on.

Perhaps the UC system isn’t right for your family anyway if they have chosen to move away from the SAT and you believe the SAT should remain part of the admissions process, then I’d recommend focusing on the schools that do include it.

I’m sure your child will have much success in their future.

5 Likes

@OMM0910

Exactly this ^^^^.

2 Likes

It’s very clear that UC applications were a frustrating process for your family, and I’m sorry that your daughter who has strong grades and a high test score did not get the results you all had hoped for. But I’m going to be pretty frank and suggest that since the criteria are clearly published as to what UCs are looking for — and you know that test scores don’t matter — there were 12 other areas in which her application could have made the case for her admission. Logic would suggest that there were deficiencies in her application from that vantage point. The lack of review of her test scores was probably not the issue. Wishing you luck as you decide where she will go next year.

6 Likes

I feel your frustration. It is only human to feel what you are right now, I would too. This is a thread to vent and you are allowed to, without having to listen to how your family is not a fit for the UC system.

I am not here to tell you that the UCs have the best “holistic” selection process. The word holistic is just convenient to cover for all cases. Is everyone that got admitted to Berkeley today better than your child, I definitely do not believe so.
Your child did not appeal to some reader who spent less than 10 mins on reading. (Yes, I know about the elaborate training they receive and the rubric etc. Etc.) And more importantly, your child did not check some box on Berkeley’s institutional priorities.
Please read this, you will feel better:

4 Likes

If paying for private HS. Should California’s get a rebate?

Nobody is saying her family is not fit for the UC system. We are just acknowledging that perhaps they have a different idea of the admissions process to the UC’s idea of admissions, and maybe those differences mean they would not be happy with other areas of the university once enrolled.

Please do not put words in people’s mouths. Everyone here is trying to be supportive and understanding.

4 Likes

Yikes! Lots of kids have ‘better’ stats than mine (who did get into Berkeley today) but never in a million years would my kid ever think that made her better than a kid who didn’t get in.

Maybe that’s what came through to ‘some reader’ at Cal who spent 10 minutes on her application.

5 Likes

Right? What does “better” even mean? Higher GPA? Kinder to strangers and stray animals?

3 Likes

Let the parent vent, it’s ok… Thats what this thread is for.

Please re-read your message. It comes across more passive aggressive and less supportive.
With one sentence, you said that UC system is not right for their family. There are always many to defend a “system” but few to empathize.

Again, let the parent vent without being moralized.

8 Likes

Again, you have read something into my message that wasn’t there.

I’ve already explained to you my meaning, it’s up to you to decide whether you want to make up your own interpretation or take me at my word.

Again, everybody on here is just trying to be supportive and understanding. No-one is looking for an argument.

2 Likes

Sorry, but telling a person that the UC “system” Isn’t right for their family when they are already hurting is not exactly my definition of empathy and support.

Neither am I looking for an argument, this is a thread for venting, let them vent.

5 Likes

Ok, you’re not listening to me and I have no desire to continue this back and forth.

Of course they have a right to vent, and my message was one of support whether you choose to believe it or not.

1 Like

I completely support your post since this is what I posted last year when several parents were not happy with their students UC decision outcomes.

Before a student applies to a school, they should look at the criteria that the school is going to use to evaluate them. If they feel that the evaluation process will not work in their favor, the student can choose not to apply to the school.

The UC system evaluates 13 factors when reviewing applications. These 13 factors are posted on the University of California website as well as on each individual UC campus website.

A person is so much more than their test scores and they’re looking for kids with leadership, creativity and writing skills which are highlighted through the PIQs.

5 Likes

Every parent has probably seen all of this by now.

When a person is hurting, we just provide the space for them to vent and provide them comfort.

Defending the “system” and “process” is not what any person venting wants to hear. And understanding this and not preaching at that time is true empathy and support.

And a gentle reminder, the parent Is venting, which is the intent of this thread. Let them have that space…

4 Likes

Better “holistically” on the combination of the 13 parameters that we so often hear about.

1 Like

Such an empathetic response. Wow…

Fair point, and actually I’m normally a very empathetic person. But if you have followed this particular person’s posts, they have been pretty much non-stop disrespectful. It’s over the top. So my apologies for being snippy, but there’s a line, and in my mind they keep crossing it. I hope their child will be happy where she lands. As the parent of a current student at a UC, I can honestly report that UCs are going to frustrate you on many levels, and if you are this mad to start out, you might be happier at a school that gives more personal attention.

18 Likes

I haven’t read any earlier post from this person but thank you for apologizing.

Parents often tend to take things being said about a university personally if they have a kid studying there, it’s natural.

1 Like