Villanova Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

Daughter deferred from EA business, so RD it is.

Already accepted to Pitt, Fordham, UD, and St. Joe’s but is holding out to see what Nova says.

1 Like

I was deferred for EA Biology.

Already accepted to Pitt, Penn State, Scranton, Drexel, and Duquesne.

Interested in seeing what happens.

1 Like

Daughter deferred from business. Accepted into IU Kelley school and Penn state. Waiting on a bunch of others!

1 Like

I may be < objective given I have a graduate degree from Kelley and a son with both UG & grad degrees from Kelley, however, it is a much better option for business than Villanova. Kelley at #8 is 41 spots ahead of Villanova at # 49 in UG Business ranking. Smeal is also a great choice. https://premium.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/business-overall

2 Likes

I really think it depends on the person, not on the school ranking. My son and his three best friends all have top finance jobs in NYC - they went to Villanova Business. Had jobs lined up fall of their senior year. My friend’s two sons graduated from IU and have decent jobs, but not the caliber of the Nova kids. The Nova kids all had strong work ethic and very motivated. The US News ranking really means nothing. Go to a school that you can afford, where you feel like you’ll fit in, and work hard!

3 Likes

My son is a sophomore at Kelley so pretty familiar with that option. Thanks for your feedback as I know it’s a great option for my daughter.

Other than your comment about salaries, I mostly agree with everything you are saying.
It was not my intent to disparage Villanova’s business school; instead, I was reassuring another poster that the other options mentioned are fine choices.
Kelley is not for everyone. UG students need to be comfortable existing in a bubble with other competitive students while being surrounded by less serious students enrolled in other IU schools.
As it relates to outcomes, your suggestion, however, is not supported by data. Govt published data (College Scorecard & College Navigator) shows Villanova’s UG business (general) median salary two years following graduation is $56,811 compared to $65,832 for Kelley. This is not a perfect comparison because Nova provides some splits by discipline (e.g., Finance = $73,579) whereas Kelley includes nearly all its ~ 2000 graduates under the general category. While it likely places more students in the NE given it awards ~ 5X as many business degrees as Nova, the highest % of placements for Kelley are in Mid-West (lower wage markets), whereas I suspect (but have not verified) most of Nova’s placements are in high wage NE markets. This makes Kelley’s wage numbers that more impressive. Therefore, if this is the metric that is most important, and I am not suggesting it should be, Kelley seems to have the edge.
I personally believe preparation for graduate school is more important than first salary.

3 Likes

I was responding to your statement that IU was a “much better option for business than Villanova” and sounds like you were basing it on rankings. I was basing it on my actual experience watching kids graduate from VSB and excelling - not on rankings based on what US News “thinks.” There are so many rankings and none of them align. My point is go to a school where you think you’ll be happy, do your own research and don’t make a decision based on rankings. And though I was referring to the quality of the job and opportunity for advancement when I was referring to the caliber of the job, the startng salaries (by no means the only important factor in securing a job) were well above the avg starting salaries you mention above for both schools. Nova and IU are both great schools - my point is that if there is a choice to be made don’t let US News dictate your choice as it seems you were suggesting. After school fit and affordability, it’s the student, the work ethic and the drive, not the school ranking, that matter in the end.

Good point- I did qualify my comment but I see why you thought I was bashing Nova. I also agree with your comments about rankings- many people buy into these lists without researching the methodologies. USNWR UG business school ranking is entirely peer perception- not outcome based. I suspect this is because, unlike law, medicine and many other disciplines where experience is not required prior to continuing to an advanced degree, first jobs for ug business grads (except accounting) are often little more than a temp stop before they apply to business school.
We are aligned these averages are low for NY metro ( ~ what I pay student co-ops). Keep in mind for every $ above the mean one grad makes, there is another grad making the equivalent $ below the reported average.

1 Like

Now that EA decisions are out do they do more a rolling admissions for regular decision students?

old release dates:

2018 - Thur, March 22nd
2019 - Wed, March 20th
2020 - Wed, March 18th
2021 - Thur, March 25th
2022 - March 23 or 24??

2 Likes

Decisions are coming out tonight. Good luck everyone!!

1 Like

When do deferral decisions come out

I’m not sure have a look at their Instagram. I’m guessing the same time :))

1 Like

They are out

waitlisted pain

5 Likes

Daughter waitlisted. 1500 SAT, ranked 4/500, 13 APs (all 5s), all senior leadership ECs… oh, and I’m an alum lol. Congrats to everyone admitted.

2 Likes

This is unreal. Your daughter is super qualified. Some other school is going to be lucky :four_leaf_clover: to have her.

8 Likes

DS22 - Waitlisted
4.0 UW GPA - usual honors and APs - school does not rank
1570 SAT (one sitting 790M/780V)
Accomplished musician (plays 4 instruments, plays national venues - NY, Chi, etc)
NHS officer etc
National Science Honor officer
Varsity athlete
Top public HS outside of NYC.

Accepted already at a Nescac and several other EAs.

He is going to decline the Waitlist in the slimmest hope it helps someone that really wants Villanova.

5 Likes

Daughter was deferred EA and now finally rejected. She is ok with it as am I. Judging by the latest replies some very strong candidates have been wait listed - must have been a really competitive candidate pool this year. Congrats to all who got accepted and best of luck to you!

1 Like