Virginia Tech Books

<p>incoming college freshman doesn't know the 411 on buying college textbooks. </p>

<p>I started reading my inc. professors reviews on ratemyvtteachers.com and found that teachers have varying teaching styles (trivedi for chem 1035 uses a DVD? and barely uses a book?)</p>

<p>what's the 411 on buying books @ tech? should I stick with the bookstore generic given books for the class or find bargains online?</p>

<p>should I buy ALL of my textbooks now or should I wait?</p>

<p>Most people get their books from the university bookstore. My advice is to get the previously owned ones they have for sale. Theyre cheaper. You can also sell back your books at the end of the year</p>

<p>CD I bought mine from the bookstore, got used and they were like brand new.</p>

<p>If you have the chem professor that likes the DVD then buy the DVD (it’s actually a computer program on DVD.) That thing is MUCH better than the book in my opinion. Math books are a pretty safe bet to buy early from amazon or somewhere, since they’ll usually be pretty necessary.</p>

<p>chuy:</p>

<p>I find it hard to order my math books from the bookstore online (or even find the books itself). </p>

<p>For example, I have Math 1114 (England) and Math 1224 (ALL - STAFF). I try to search for these books but I get an “NO ORDER RECEIVED FROM DEPT.” Is this normal? I mean class is less than 3 weeks. Should I just reserve the books instead of trying to purchase it directly?</p>

<p>Some math classes don’t have normal books, actually. Vector Geometry, at least when I took it, had an online book that you could either read off of your computer or go down to a print store and pay like $20 to have it printed out for you. If it says “no orders recieved” that either means you don’t need a book (or it’s one of the online books) or your professor is lazy and never put it up. If that happens you’ll have to wait till you get your syllabus the first day of class and then go buy the book. Professors that make you wait are usually pretty understanding about you not having the book the first week or so of class.</p>