Virginia tech Class of 2019 regular decision Thread

My daughter applied Tulane as well. Waiting on RD. Good Luck to you:)

I have a question about the VT planned notification date on March 20th. Assuming that the information is released en masse on the portal - is it possible to
be “ACCEPTED” but find out later thru snail mail that actually you were accepted to your second choice and not your 1st? That would be a serious blow!

Basically, we are only considering the school if DS is accepted to 1st choice - Engineering. The second choice is Biology and in our minds doesn’t really justify the OOS costs. Does VT have a habit of offering the 2nd choice if the applicant doesn’t meet their standards for the 1st choice? Does VT waitlist for 1st choice or only for 2nd choice? I’m just trying to prepare myself for all possibilities. DS is waitlisted to 3 schools already and I’m getting a little paranoid that lightening can strike 4 times!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! @jasoncolorado Hope I will know something soon

@SQBrit Your acceptance on the portal will say which college/major you are accepted in. I have never heard of the paper letter being any different as you are able to print the letter from the website too. Yes, if you do not meet the requirements for your 1st choice, they do look to the 2nd choice as another option…that is why they ask for a 2nd choice on certain majors like Engineering. You will either be accepted to your 1st / 2nd, wait-listed or denied. If wait-listed, you will need to ask them if this is for your 1st, 2nd or both choices. Best of luck.

bboop42 - Thank you for replying… but are you sure? The earlier posts in this thread seem unsure because the language in the online portal only said “accepted”. I would hate to party with joy for a whole weekend, only to get the offer in the mail - saying acceptance to second choice only. :((

Does virginia tech look at senior year grades before making a decision?
So what I am asking is, if I did well this year, then will my chances of being accepted into the school?

Yes, they look at your senior course load, class rigor, and 1st semester grades in helping them make the final decision.

Can anyone share about the Davenport Scholarship? My dd was asked to apply for 2nd round Davenport, but we still don’t know if she was accepted at all and “all” her friends are now saying they got accepted and we have not heard yet. Does it mean you should be accepted if you are asked to apply for Davenport? Were any Davenport Scholarship 2nd applicants accepted yet?

@SQBrit Not sure what you refer to when you say earlier in the thread. For ED and the initial wave of RD, it was stated by admission if it said accepted, it was your first choice major unless otherwise indicated. I would recommend calling admissions to ask your question of them directly. They will be able to answer you without you having to worry if it is accurate or not. I do understand your concern about wanting to be sure, the process can be quite stressful for all involved. Best of luck.

Does anybody know when they will be releasing honors decisions? Is it online or by mail?

Does VA Tech look at weighted GPA or unweighted?

kspo597, I’m pretty sure they are looking at weighted GPAs but particularly in engineering, their focus is more on what classes you take & the rigor of those classes.

@bksfan Really? It seems to me they look at GPA a lot more. GOD i hope your right!

As and Bs in rigorous classes usually equate to higher GPA, so there is a correlation I’m sure. However, it doesn’t mean the GPA number itself means much out of context.

Not worth worrying at this point, decisions have already been made.

When do the next round of decisions come out? for freshman

feb round of decisions came out around 415pm on Fri 2/20; this thread will blow up when the 3/20 decisions are released and available online. Would think it would happen in the afternoon on friday around the same timel

So excited for tomorrow. Good luck to everyone that applied!

Yep good luck everyone! Im guessing a high percentage of this forum gets in!