Virginia Tech Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

TY. Whatever is meant to be will be. Our son already got into 7 other amazing colleges. We are so proud of him, but this is top one. XOXOXO

4 Likes

Does anyone know how much legacy is taken into account in admissions? I am alum and we are OOS. VT is was a target school for my DD but not so sure it is anymore. I have heard that their acceptance rate is going to decrease by about 20% so I’m afraid we’re in for a deferral.

Yikes 20%?!!

The CDS lists Alumni/ae relation as “considered”. My D has a sibling there now, so we’re hoping that helps a little bit? We are OOS and Virginia Tech is one of my D’s top two schools. But if admissions is really down 20% we are probably in for a deferral too.

That is a huge number. Is this a reliable source? Wondering then if we are also in for a deferral or outright denial. Which would also be crazy IMHO since I think my kid has great stats. :slightly_smiling_face:

Do they defer from ea or just waitlist? It seems weird to defer since RD comes out on a few weeks.

2 Likes

I actually have no idea if a deferral is an option in this round. It could be acceptance or rejection. EA decision is relatively late so maybe there won’t be deferrals. I know last year there was a waitlist so that might be an option. This is my first kid going through the process.

The 20% number came from a college counselor based on the numbers from the ED round. Not my DD’s college counselor so I didn’t hear it directly. But it seems like state schools in general are getting huge numbers of applicants so I’m sure the rate will decrease to some degree.

Reading through last year’s decision thread, it seems like they did not defer. Just acceptance, rejection or waitlist.

2023 application numbers are up about 4-5% over last year. Unless someone is suggesting that they are looking to dramatically decrease their incoming class size of ~7K there’s no reason to think that this years acceptance rate is going to be dramatically different than last years 57% +/- a little.

If you’re talking differences from what got accepted ED versus EA/RD those might be different %'s but don’t see why VT would change their approach on that one year to the next.

4 Likes

I truly hope you’re right!

Do we know how many were accepted via ED and how many they expect to accept in EA and RD? My son is anxiously awaiting his EA decision.

2 Likes

What I find is data from last year and some commentary from this year.

VT fills ~20% of its incoming class from ED.
This year saw a 17% jump in the # of kids that filed ED
ED Acceptance rate last year was 64.3%

Assuming a targets 7K class

Last year ~2,200 ED applicants yielded 1,400 students.
This year ~2,570 ED applicants yielded 1,650 students (keeping same ED accept rate).

Unless the university SIGNIFICANTLY increased its ED acceptance rate - the 250 spots is not going to drive a huge change in the EA/RD acceptance rate.

Thank you for the breakdown! That makes me feel a little more hopeful. Now, off to keep my mind occupied until 5!

2 Likes

A 20% drop in acceptance rate seems extreme. The number applications did not jump up that dramatically (they did go up). They could also anticipate a higher yield as VT’s reputation has improved a bit. However, I think this points to a modest reduction in acceptance rate
 like 2-4% lower not 20%

2 Likes

Yep, my other son got waitlisted last year and never got offered a spot. Thankfully he ended up at UF.

1 Like

wow- waitlisted at VTech and in to UF? are you in Florida?

1 Like

VT does yield protection on high stat kids- so likely in this case maybe?

1 Like

We are in Loudoun County, Virginia. Husband and I both went to UF tho.

2 Likes

So many of my son’s friends in northern Virginia did not get into Tech last year. Kids who normally would have been targets. His guidance counselor said they stopped being able to predict who will get in there about 4-5 years ago. Crazy! That son had a 1440 SAT and my current senior has a 1580 but as I have tried to drill into them, it’s not about your test score. (their GPAs were both great, ECs middling, strong essays, some volunteer work)