Virginia Tech Regular Decision Thread

@hopefulcadet333 Deferred means that you were moved to the RD pool and will be re-assessed there. Waitlisting occurs after RD applicants have been given a decision: Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted. If you make the Waitlist, that means you have to wait to see how many of the accepted students accept their positions. If there is enough room once that happens, you might be offered an acceptance spot (depending on where you fall on the list). Hope that helps.

Is the 5pm time the decisions are coming eastern time?

@rugby1562 I am assuming yes since VT is on EST.

Would being multi racial and being born in San Juan, Puerto Rico help my admission chances?

@Eas419 I doubt it would have much if any effect.

Did we have to turn in mid-year reports? Because I just realized that I didn’t, since vt isn’t on commonapp bc my counselor did it for it earlier for all of my other colleges

Yes, mid-year transcripts were required. Your counselor should have known this and submitted it.

I had to turn in the transcript myself, my counselor didn’t do anything. But on my application portal it doesn’t show any required tasks… I could send it in now but I think that’s too late…

@treepanda, Try not to get too worried. I think I remember hearing that VT tries to contact applicants who are missing required information. Best of luck!

Edit: https://vt.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/dates.html. Don’t see anything about midyear trasncrips here, for what it’s worth.

yeahh I hope so! because I wasn’t contacted by the office in any way, but I just sent in an updated transcript and emailed the office so hopefully I’ll be okay

It was shown on the Naviance site that midyear transcripts were required for VT. Good counselors would be on top of things like this but yes we had to follow up with counselor every step of the way for each school.

Midyear transcripts were not required. They required only a “current transcript”. If you applied in December, last year’s sufficed and there was not requirement to submit a midyear update. If you did, they just replaced the original transcript with the updated one as the transcript of record for the application. So if you didn’t submit a midyear transcript, don’t freak out. You are good. Next requirement is end ofyear transcript ifyou intend to go there.

My son sent his application in by mid November for regular decision. In his email form VT confirming application receipt they stated they wanted first semester transcript. So maybe depends on major?

We don’t use naviance and I’m a compsci major if that helps. Thanks!

I applied in December and requested a transcript on Naviance in mid December. VT didn’t show a transcript received date until mid January. I never requested a mid year transcript but I noticed on my application portal that the transcript date received was updated to 1/31. Hopefully that means that they received a mid year from me. Got all A’s my first semester of senior year, which should help.

They just replied and said mid-year reports were not required! So I’m good!

Agreed. My S applied to 8 schools. VT will be the 2nd decision received. One mid-Feb; one early-Mar; 3 mid-Mar; 3 late Mar.

I talked to Virginia Tech earlier and they informed me that mid-year transcripts were not required. Don’t be alarmed.

Seems like a lot of people were told different things about mid-year transcripts. Wish they would be consistant. At least the wait will be over soon.

If you applied by the original 12/1 deadline, you were probably told they were required. Once they changed the deadline to 1/15 they most likely relaxed the requirment because they knew it would be challenging to make decisions and get all of the midterm transcripts and get them loaded and reviewed. If you sent them great. If not, it doesn’t appear to be a deal breaker.