Virginia Tech Transfer Students for Fall 2018

I’m applying to Pamplin for ACIS.

And sorry, not sure why i put lower, i meant higher* haha
And awesome, how many credit have you taken so far? And whats your gpa? @ihopeigetintoVT

@todayIsAnewDay I believe I have 41. w/ a GPA of 3.7. I finish up my A.S. this summer.

That’s great! I wish you luck to getting in! I’ve done 52 credits so far, but after this semester I’ll have 68 credits; I applied without guaranteed admissions, did you apply with or without since you’re graduating this summer?

Idk why people are relating transfer and freshman admission processes. For the past 8 years on CC and Reddit, the same type of people get into Tech for transfer. GPA of 3.5+ and transferable credits

@uvact123 I noticed that too, because I know to get in as a freshman is pretty brutal. I really hope you’re right about the 3.5+ ahaha

It’s really not that hard to get as a transfer into Virginia Tech. All of my friends that applied after one year took transferable classes and had 3.7+ GPAs. Some of my friends that applied after 2 years had 3.4s and up and they got in. If you aren’t taking that many transferable classes, only then would I get worried to be honest. Engineering is also very tough.

Freshman admissions is extremely brutal. Only a 4.0+ weighted HS GPA could land you a safe spot if you’re in-state. Transfer admissions is definitely not as tough. There’s no set GPA that they use to admit people, I’m just making an observation on what I’ve seen from my research on CC and reddit posts. I think you have a good chance as long as your classes are transferable

@uvact123 thanks for the info. Transfer applications and offers of admissions have really level and consistent the past 4+ years even while the Freshman applications and offers of admissions have increased quite a bit in the same time frame. This would normally have me feeling pretty good for transfer admission except for the uncertainty of the impact of the over enrollment last year. Those (many) freshman will now be sophomores and the school may need as many transfers to fill the class. Of course that might have a greater impact on someone transferring in after a year vs someone coming in as a Jr (?).

edit may not need as many transfers

how many credits would be a solid amount after a first year at a university student trying to transfer?

@Cwholla1 It’s more about the classes you take vs a set number of hours.

Im a student at a 4 year university and I’m a freshman right now, first semester I got a 4.0 and this semester I’m looking around 3.8 and MOST of my classes transfer but not all of them, I said in my essays that ill take online classes at NOVA to Catch up and basically finish up all of my gen eds before major courses. Do you think it’s a decent chance?

specifically 24 transferrable credits for the first year, plus duel enrollment credits, and probably 6 more this summer

Ok so Im the one who got rejected from the freshman round earlier in this thread and am thinking about transfering from nvcc. However, I am taking a DE class right now and am afraid I will probably have to withdraw. Will this kill my chances of getting into VT?

@daylightskies whats your grade in the class? Also, is it past the withdrawal date?

@ihopeigetintoVT ah that’s what I’m freaking out about, I’m currently in my first year and my stats are pretty good (taken the required class, good gpa, etc) I’m pretty sure I have a good shot, but it’s also that fact they possibly may not need as many transfers for sophomores which is where it gets to me

But then again, if we looked at it from a different prospective, maybe they are beginning to enroll more students now with a growing number of applications. Tech has only been getting bigger which could possibly mean they won’t all of a sudden accept a lot less more applicants. Although we’ll have to wait and see

@daylightskies what class is it? Also I don’t think ONE withdrawal from high school (in your case ) would effect anything, I think they would understand that you were in high school at the time, assuming you do well at nvcc. Although if you have a B or above I’d suggest you stay enrolled, but if you have a bad grade then I’d say drop because that grade will show up on your college transcript and you don’t want it to kill your gpa. Although once you get to nvcc I would advise against dropping your classes, just pick them out carefully when you are enrolling, but that’s for once you get to nova. :slight_smile:

@todayIsAnewDay @lordfarquaad it’s MTH 166 (precalc with trig) I was in a weird situation this year where I missed so much school my counsellor took me out of precalc at my base so I tried this. The withdraw date is late March but i already failed the first test and am starting to think I might have failed the one I took today. The way the class is structured is if you fail more than one test (regardless of other assignment grades) you fail the course.