Virginia Tech Vs. James Madison University

<p>If you want to go for prestige, go with Vtech. They’re ranked above JMU in the us news rankings.</p>

<p>“If you want to go for prestige, go with Vtech. They’re ranked above JMU in the us news rankings.”</p>

<p>JMU is a very respected university in Virginia and probably outside of VA as well. Virginia Tech is not far superior in terms of academics than JMU. Virginia Tech and JMU are both well respected at the same level, it all depends on which school is fit for the person. Plus, JMU is a top regional university in US NEWS AND RANK. US NEWS AND RANK does not rank JMU to National University because it does not provide as many masters/PHD programs as Virginia Tech or UVA. If JMU was ranked nationally I would assume it be close with Virginia Tech. In fact, the majority of kids at VA HS apply to both Virginia Tech/ JMU. There both leveled at the same tier.<br>
In terms of highest to lowest in VA University :
1.) William & Mary, 1.) UVA, 1.) University of Richmond 2.) JMU, 2.) Virginia Tech, 2.) CNU 3.) VCU, 3.) GMU 4.) Radford, ODU, MW, and so on.
Get your facts right before expressing your ignorant opinions.</p>

<p>Based on common sense, that previous post is clearly inaccurate. </p>

<p>As an out-of-state student (West coast), I can say that I (and many others out west) never even heard of JMU before coming to VTech.
Tech’s engineering prestige sets it way above JMU, no question.</p>

<p>^I agree. Comparing Virginia Tech to James Madison is one thing but to include Christopher Newport is ridiculous lol</p>

<p>Whats wrong with James Madison and CNU?</p>

<p>JMU and CNU are good schools but they are not in the same league as W&M, UVA, W&L and URichmond. Those are the top rated schools in the state, I would put VT just below them unless you are interested in engineering in which case VT is the top school in the state hands down.</p>

<p>VThopeful, most people would rank UVA slightly above W&M (check out US News or go onto Parchment and use their direct comparisons tool), but it all depends on what you want. I live in Charlottesville so I’m biased, but my high school senior daughter says that W&M feels like a better fit for her than UVA but is applying to both.</p>

<p>I did not rank JMU or CNU at the same league as UVA or W&M. If you read my message carefully it states in numerical orders 1.) , 2.), 3.)… you get the point.</p>

<p>JMU and VT aren’t even in the same league. Outside of Virginia, I doubt anyone knows what JMU is, while here in Singapore everyone knows what VT is and would get a big ‘huh?’ if I mention JMU.</p>

<p>Asumming UVA is a 100%, it would look like this:</p>

<p>UVA:100
CWM:98
VT:88
JMU:40</p>

<p>I’m being 100% serious. As an international student, in terms of prestige and recognition, JMU comes nowhere close to VT.</p>

<p>JMU’s business program is really good. In engineering and a few other majors everyone is right, there is no competition, but in business JMU is a peer of VT. They’re ranked higher although I don’t know what the recruiting outlook is for the two schools. VT has business horizons which is a good career fair. JMU probably has something similar. If you can find info on JMU’s compare the companies listed as attending for both (VT’s is here [Company</a> List](<a href=“http://www.businesshorizons.org/companyprofiles]Company”>http://www.businesshorizons.org/companyprofiles)) and see if there are any on one list but not the other that would make a big difference for you.</p>

<p>Well VThope12 you can see the problem with picking a school based upon prestige. No one agrees on which school is more prestigious! Even more troubling is that perceptions of prestige change over time. In my day, VT was considered more prestigious than JMU in all areas. No one would have ranked Christopher Newport as similar to VT or JMU. Few of my peers gave any thought to the University of Richmond because it was more expensive and no one could really say whether it was any more prestigious than JMU. </p>

<p>As Chuy suggested, take a look at which companies come to recruit. That may help you with your decision.</p>

<p>If you’re basing your decision on “prestige” then I don’t know what to tell you. Choose the place that you feel will help you grow as a person and student. If you choose JMU because of the 60-40 girl to guy ratio or Tech because of the awesome food, I would understand. But neither school is known nationally for their business programs, so your decision should come down to feel and comfort at each school.</p>

<p>I have recently been admitted to both Virginia Tech and James Madison University. I have chose Virginia Tech as where I would attend. I believe that Virginia Tech will offer me “more” job opportunities later in life. GO HOKIES!!!</p>

<p>Btw, Virginia Tech Pamplin School of Business > JMU COB. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOKKKIIIIIEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!</p>