Visiting CC

<p>Is the summer before my Junior year too early to visit CC?
It's just tough to fly out all the way to Colorado during the school year...</p>

<p>When did everyone else visit?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Kate</p>

<p>The Block 5 block break started yesterday at noon and school won't resume until Monday, so it may be a little slow in CC students replying to your post until Sunday night or Monday.</p>

<p>My S's a freshman this year (2007-08). He visited during the school year (mid-March 2007) his senior year in hs (after he was accepted) so he was there for a class day and part of the weekend. He knew a couple of girls who were sophs and he crashed in one of their dorm rooms to get to experience dorm life.</p>

<p>You may not get a very realistic experience if you visit during the summer. BTY-- CC doesn't get any of the federal 3 day(Monday) holidays. If your HS gets them off, you might time a visit around one of them. Fly in on the weekend and stay through the Monday classes. Almost w/o exception all classes are 9-12 a.m., M-F.</p>

<p>Thanks 07Dad--
I am at a boarding school, so I don't have the federal holidays off either, unfortunately. Aren't there blocks during the summer? While I know the summer session is not an accurate representation of the regular schoolyear, there still would be classes going on that I could possibly observe. I guess the real question I have is : Is the summer before junior year too early?</p>

<p>Here is the link to the CC summer courses for college students.</p>

<p>Colorado</a> College | Summer Session</p>

<p>If you visit the site there is a link for "High School." There are two summer programs for HS students. I noted that one was for "rising high school juniors." BTW-- that program is to encourage the students from 5 SW states to give CC a look-see. Where is your boarding school located, if you don't mind saying.</p>

<p>I took my S to visit Berkeley and Stanford at Spring Break his 10th grade year. HE seemed to get something from the experience. It allowed him to hear the admissions staff talk about just what was necessary for admission and it gave him a chance to see the difference between a huge campus and a somewhat smaller one.</p>

<p>Is this summer "too early?" I guess that depends on you. If you are interested in starting then, you probably will get something from it. I offerred to let my S do visits to several schools he was interested in the summer before his senior year. He said that he would narrow his choices w/o a visit and then visit those where he got accepted, if he still had an interest.</p>

<p>He got accepted to CC EA and visited in March of his senior year. He flew to Colorado Springs w/o parents and got to check it out the way he wanted to. It sold itself. I visited colleges the summer before my senior year and my parents didn't accompany me either. I am a strong believer in not having a parent in tow, so you might consider whether (1) you want to visit w/o parents, (2) your parents would consider that and (3) whether they would let you travel alone this summer rather than later.</p>

<p>My S's HS GF was a boarder in Dallas at the private girls school that was the "sister" school to my S's private boys school. Girls who board seem to be very responsible people and perhaps you could make arrangements to stay on campus with an enrolled college student to get a better "flavor."</p>

<p>Wow, thanks again 07Dad-- you are so informative!!</p>

<p>I go to school in NH, a long way from Colorado. I think I'll go ahead and start planning an early summer visit, maybe one that correlates with the First Block. While I am still at the beginning of the college process, just reading about CC has really excited me: it seems like a wonderful place. It seems to cater to my every interest: a strong environmental science program, a small community, closeness to ski resorts, and an abundance of athletic opportunities.</p>

<p>While I can in no way say CC is where I'll end up attending college, as a sophmore I can say presently it seems like the perfect fit! I think visiting early will allow me to explore the activities that will help me to gain acceptance at CC/a school comparable to CC, and also enrich myself as a person, making me a unique contribution to whatever school I end up at.</p>

<p>It's funny:Most dread the college process, whereas I'm excited to begin! I am excited to get beyond the trivialities of high school...I'm ready to pursue my academic goals and start preparing for the work force. ( Meanwhile, having an awesome college experience and making tons of new, interesting friends, of course!!)</p>

<p>Thanks for the info,
I'll be sure to refer back here soon,
Kate</p>

<p>Hi Kate,</p>

<p>My S wanted CC for exactly the same reasons (+ block plan) that you are interested in it. He recently got accepted ED.</p>

<p>You sound very mature, so you will probably get a lot out of a visit. However, I would really encourage you to visit when the regular blocks are happening so you get a true feel for the school. If you study your calendar and theirs, you will probably find a time.</p>

<p>Many colleges, including CC, will not plan visits (meaning overnights and class visits) for even current juniors. However, they will not get in the way of your planning your own visit. My S visited several schools and managed overnights at each of them. All you need to do is contact kids who are involved in the same ECs or religious groups that you participate in, and you can usually search this through the school's site. </p>

<p>For instance, S found overnights through rugby players, Hillel, soccer players, and kids of friends of mine. Then they took him along to classes. People who share your ECs are generally really happy to host you.</p>

<p>I found that a modified version of what 07DAD suggests worked well for us. I went with S to the tours and info sessions (well, sometimes I went alone because they get pretty repetitive). He spent a day or more on campus with his hosts while I stayed at a B & B and enjoyed whatever was around the school. I really enjoyed seeing the schools, and it worked well because I was in complete agreement with his gut feelings about the schools and thus really supportive.</p>

<p>Many ways to do this, and a lot depends on your parents.</p>

<p>Visit, Visit, Visit.</p>

<p>I am a freshman at CC and during my sophmore year I really felt like it was the only place for me. That being said, I was open to the knowledge and experience of my parents and "gave-in" to a tour of northeast colleges (all similiar LAC's) during spring break of my junior year. After visiting about 10 schools, I still felt CC was the place for me, but I also had lots to compare it too. </p>

<p>Visiting so many colleges at once was a very good thing for me becasue it gave me the ability to make instant comparisons and only one of them was on spring break during my visit. The other good thing was that I was able to automatically eliminate colleges I couldn't see as a fit so I didn't waste any time, energy or money applying to the "wrong places." </p>

<p>The, the best thing I did was to attend CC for a summer block the summer before my senior year to see if I was really going to like the block system, which is crucial if you come here. I loved it and exceeded my expectations. </p>

<p>I felt the visits, experience of the block plan and my passion for the school put me in an excellent position when I decided to apply ED I and was accepted. In fact, it was the only school I applied to and had everythign else ready to go to two other schools just in case I got bad news.</p>

<p>As I sit here in Vail during the block break, I can honestly say I wouldn't change a thing about the process or decision I made. </p>

<p>Go for it...and don't look back!</p>