Visiting UA 1/23 - 26 Questions about Tuscaloosa

We will be visiting UA from 1/23 - 26. Since we will be in Tuscaloosa on Sunday, what are some interesting places to see/do?

What are some good recommendations for eateries? We are from Chicago so local cuisine might be interesting. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Veterans Blvd by University Mall.

Hi,

I sent you a PM, but since others might also be wondering, here are some suggestions…

Some of our fave Sunday breakfast places are:

Waysider Restaurant only open until about 1 or 2pm

Another Broken Egg (on Jack Warner Pkwy) This is on the Black Warrior River and near the RiverWalk so convenient to see that at the same time. The RiverWalk is a popular walk/jog/bike trail along the river.

Cracker Barrel (but that may be far from where you’re staying.)

Panera Bread Company on McFarland

Sweet Home Food Bar (but a bit pricey)…this is on University blvd in Downtown area.

For lunch or dinner:

Mugshots…Downtown on Greensboro.

Chuy’s TexMex…corner of 15th st and McFarland (in Bed Bath and Beyond shopping center)

BurgerFi… (same shopping center as above)

Full Moon BBQ (corner of 15th and McFarland Blvd

Bento’s Japanese (but not sure if they’re open on Sundays)

De Palma’s Italian …downtown…on University

Dreamland BBQ …on the other side of the river.

Cypress Inn (not sure if they’re open on Sundays)…also on the other side of the river.

On Sunday, even if you’re not a big sports fan, the Paul Bryant museum is fascinating. Try to watch the video first before seeing the rest. It is open on Sunday until 4 pm.

What do you all like to do?

We loved de Palma’s . . . though being from Chicago you may have very high standards for Italian food. Still, it’s just a cool atmosphere with good food.

It’s also fun to walk around the quad (that area near Denny Chimes).

For a wonderful restaurant, try Chuck’s Fish! It’s a little expensive, but the food and ambiance are really special! Tuscaloosa is really charming, have a lovely time! :slight_smile:

Well, you will be in town for the big Championship celebration parade on Saturday, 1/23. Starts at 10am. Prepare for lots of traffic, but what a way to experience the Roll Tide culture. Try to go to the original Dreamland off of 15th Avenue (south of the school.) As you drive down the road that takes you back to the restaurant, you will know you are not in Chicago anymore. That place will give you a taste of real Alabama. I can’t stand sweet tea, but you may want to try it if you don’t already drink it - but know that you can order it “unsweet.” And, please, leave room for banana pudding :slight_smile:

I would rather he and his family go to the Dreamland that is in Northport…same distance, but nicer and a more extensive menu. The original one is a bit divey and has a limited menu.

To get to the Dreamland in Northport, you take Lurleen Wallace over the river and Dreamland will be on your right off of 5th Ave (that’s the exit)…and the restaurant is 101 Bridge Ave.

But…Full Moon BBQ is also a fave and very close to their hotel. The original Full Moon in Tuscaloosa was destroyed in the tornado, so this new one is actually much nicer.

I second Full Moon for BBQ, it is our favorite over Dreamland. I also think the atmosphere is better… love the ribs and the collard greens.

The parade would be an exciting addition to your visit but it will probably cause crowds at all the local restaurants, the wait will still be worth it. However, if you are driving to campus, parking may be difficult on the day of the parade. One caution: DO NOT PARK in the Publix supermarket parking lot on the edge of campus, your car will be towed.

Here is the link to info about the parade:
http://uanews.ua.edu/2016/01/uas-national-championship-football-team-to-be-honored/

We actually arrive at about 9P on 1/23. Unfortunately, we will miss the parade.

Might be a blessing that you will avoid the traffic and craziness for your first visit. Since you are driving in at night, take the time to ride through campus all lit up. It is beautiful and you can also note the well lit safety of the campus and large number of students out and about. I recommend getting a box of Krispy Kreme “hot now” doughnuts to eat while riding around :slight_smile: All the restaurants others have mentioned are great, but you might consider staying close to campus since you have a limited time and want to maximize your time in student populated areas. Really you can’t go wrong! Enjoy your trip and Roll Tide! Our student has been so pleased with his decision and we love to visit!

I’d add Jim 'N Nick’s Barbecue for pulled pork. I agree - save the original Dreamland for later and go to the Northport “more civilized” version. Fabulous ribs. You’ll want to visit “the Strip” just west of campus (Buffalo Phil’s restaurant is well patronized by students), maybe drive through the historic homes just beyond the Strip. Five is another popular downtown restaurant. Rama Jama’s next to the stadium serves breakfast as well as burgers and milk shakes later in the day. If you’re there on a weekday, City Cafe in Northport is an old-style meat and three with lots of Southern vegetables. Another one is Bob’s Victory Grille, not far from the UA rec center. It’s owned by a Bryant-era football player. Sports bar/restaurant with a strong Alabama vibe. Welcome - enjoy your visit!