Touring/area help

I will be touring UA in a week, we are just doing the campus tour, I was accepted into the Honors College; however, they do not do Saturday tours so we would not have time to fit both tours in. Where are some good places to go around Tuscaloosa to get more of the living there vibe? Best restaurants, anything really cool to go to, sightseeing?

My family had a great dinner at 5 Bar a couple of weeks ago. Dreamland BBQ just north of the river was really gooo also. In addition to walking around campus & downtown, the riverfront trail is interesting (not real long but worth checking out).

Talk to everyone every place that you go!!! We got a TON of amazing information from the cashier that was working at one of the shops on the strip that we went into looking for UA merchandise.

Tuscaloosa does not offer much when it comes to sightseeing, but the town has tons of great restaurants. Dreamland is good, but I recommend going to the original one on 15th - a more interesting authentic experience. Of course if you want more authenticity, head to Archibalds & Woodrow’s. I highly recommend trying to eat breakfast or lunch at Rama Jama’s. The Strip and area beyond are the center of life around there so take some time to walk around. There’s a Holler & Dash restaurant there - awesome place even though a chain. I think that a visit to Alabama requires at least one meal that includes a biscuit, or even biscuits and gravy, and Holler & Dash features great biscuits and even some of the best oatmeal I have ever had. If you want to enjoy some charm and history, cross the river and visit Northport’s 5th street. Other recommended restaurants: Glorybound (yummy), and the newest cheap foods place Cook Out (for when you have 5 bucks to spend on a meal and don’t want Taco Bell again - crucial info for cash strapped students.)

Lake Lurleen State Park is really nice and my student always planned to get back there to kayak or fish, but college life has proven to be far too busy, but it is a peaceful place to go, not too far from the school.

Hope you have a great visit.

Addition: I wanted to confirm first, but the Farmer’s Market should be going on on Saturday, and that is a neat experience: http://www.tuscaloosarivermarket.com/