Vpa requirements?

<p>Hey I’m from Virginia and i was wondering weather or not “applied technology”(basically CAD, with a little workshop) would count towards the vpa requirement.</p>

<p>If this sound like a dumb question because “its obviously not an art” it does count as an art credit in Virginia.</p>

<p>Nope. Detailed explanation of the VPA requirement:</p>

<p>f | Visual and Performing Arts</p>

<p>Students must satisfy the “f” requirement by completing a single yearlong course from a single visual and performing arts (VPA) discipline. Students may take the course over different academic years, but the course must be taken in sequential order.</p>

<p>Courses should provide students with a meaningful experience and breadth of knowledge of the arts so that they may apply their knowledge and experience to the creation of art and are better able to understand and appreciate artistic expression on the basis of that experience and knowledge. Work outside of class is required: for example, portfolio/performance preparation, reading, writing, research projects and/or critical listening/viewing.</p>

<p>Each VPA course must sufficiently address all five component strands of the California State Board of Education’s approved content standards.</p>

<p>The following are not acceptable to meet the VPA requirement: private or community-based study in the arts; courses that are primarily recreational, athletic or body conditioning; and commercial courses or courses specifically designed for training for a profession. Examples of acceptable and non-acceptable courses from the following VPA disciplines are as follows:</p>

<p>Dance: Acceptable courses include ballet, modern dance, jazz and ethnic dance, choreography and improvisation, dance history and dance production/performance. Examples of unacceptable courses include aerobics, drill team, cheerleading, recreational dance and ballroom dance.</p>

<p>Drama/Theater: Acceptable courses include acting, directing, oral interpretation, dramatic production, dramaturgy/history/theory and stage/lighting/costume design. Examples of unacceptable courses include speech, debate or courses in other disciplines that require students to perform occasional skits.</p>

<p>Music: Acceptable courses include band (concert, symphonic, jazz), orchestra, choir (e.g., concert, jazz, soul, madrigal), music history/appreciation and music theory/composition. Examples of unacceptable courses include a musical group that performs primarily for sporting events, parades, competitive field events and/or community/civic activities.</p>

<p>Visual Art: Acceptable courses include painting, drawing, sculpture, art photography, printmaking, contemporary media, ceramics and art history. Examples of unacceptable courses include craft courses, mechanical drafting, Web page development, yearbook and photography offered as photojournalism (e.g., as a component of yearbook or school newspaper publication). </p>

<p>Beginning with 2006 graduates, students must satisfy the “f” requirement by completing a single yearlong course from a single VPA discipline. Though students may take the course over different academic years, it must be taken in sequential order.</p>

<p>Source: [University</a> of California - Counselors](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/educators/counselors/adminfo/freshman/advising/admission/agr.html]University”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/educators/counselors/adminfo/freshman/advising/admission/agr.html)</p>

<p>Alright thank you, I guess I just take music theory and not german next year(I already have three credits).</p>