VT Engineering Chances?

<p>My GPA is slightly low.. I kind of slacked off sophomore and junior year but I'm at the verge of getting Straight A's currently (senior year) taking 5 AP classes, 1 Honors class, and 1 Elective.</p>

<p>GPA: UW : 3.32
W: 3.47

<p>SAT: MATH: 700 READING: 560 WRITING: 660
ACT: will be taking in December</p>

<p>Over 300 Hours of Community Service</p>

<p>COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES/LEADERSHIP: YEAR:</p>

<p>Piano Lessons/Experience Grade 1 – Present
Piano Competition / Recitals Grade 1 – 9</p>

<p>Summer School Teacher 10
Tutoring students in various subjects 9, 10, 11, 12
Evangelism (Went to Georgia, Colorado) 9. 10
(Church Planting, Going around colleges evangelizing)
Student Leader (OF ALL OF YOUTH) 10-11</p>

<p>Volunteered at Virginia Living Museum 11</p>

<p>Learned Sign Language 9, 10, 11
(also went to Patrick Henry Mall to communicate w/ the deaf for volunteer)</p>

<p>Soup Kitchen for poor/deaf 10
Volunteered at a Homeless Shelter 9, 10, 11
(Peninsula Korean Baptist Church)
Vacation Bible School 9, 10, 11
(Peninsula Korean Baptist Church)
Key Club 9, 10
Spanish Club 10, 11
Mu Alpha Theta 11, 12
SBCV Bible Drill Gold Medalist 8, 9, 10
Local Bible Drill Gold Medalist 8, 9, 10</p>

<p>ATHLETICS:</p>

<p>Soccer 10
JV
Virginia Rush Club Soccer 11
Fencing 10</p>

<p>AWARDS:</p>

<p>Honor Roll Grade 6 – Present
SAT Class Scholarship (Top Student and Most Improved) 11
AP Scholar Award 11</p>

<p>WORK EXPERIENCE: </p>

<p>Worked at Flea Market (Selling Beauty Supplies) 10
(Also obtained a business license to do so)</p>

<p>Employer at Beauty Max 9, 10, 11, 12
(Cashier, Restocking, Cleaning)</p>

<p>Business 11
(Went around Virginia buying silver/used watch batteries and sold them for profit) (Bought $8/lb of used watch batteries & sold for $40-50/lb)</p>

<p>EDUCATION:</p>

<p>AP Computer Science 12
AP Environmental Science 12
AP Human Geography 12
AP Statistics 12
AP U.S Government 12
English 12H 12
AP U.S History 11
AP Calculus AB 11
AP Psychology 11
Physics 11</p>

<p>OTHER ACTIVITIES:</p>

<p>Built own computer 11
Made own private server of game 11</p>

<p>Bilingual
Fluent in Korean and English
Took Spanish for 6 years since 6th grade of middle school</p>

<p>(SORRY IF THE EC'S ARE MESSED UP, I COPIED AND PASTED FROM MY RESUME)</p>

<p>**Good Recommendations</p>

<p>Are you in-state? If so, take a look at the Naviance results for your HS to see the stats from accepted students.</p>

<p>Pluses - you have taken a challenging work load in HS and your Math SAT is good for Engineering.</p>

<p>Negative - your GPA is considerably below the average of VT Engineering students</p>

<p>Other - you have a ton of community activities but I don’t view this necessarily as a strong point. Too many activities often means limited involvement (it’s not really the number of activities that counts but rather what you did and how meaningful your role).</p>

<p>I’d say your best shot is university studies rather than directly into engineering. Good luck with your application. Keep in mind that many students that enter in University Studies do transfer into Engineering once they demonstrate that they can handle the coursework.</p>

<p>Thank you so much! I appreciate it! </p>

<p>Does anyone else want to give me their input?</p>

<p>and yes I am in-state</p>

<p>Based on VT web site posted statistics, I would say a Big stretch for Engineering, and a stretch for University Studies. Your UW GPA is low. I would still try given only VT admissions will give you the “correct” answer.</p>

<p>Would University Studies be a better option for me? Chances better?</p>

<p>You don’t have to put University Studies as your first choice. You can apply for Engineering and if VT likes you but doesn’t think you are ready for Engineering they can accept you for University Studies.</p>

<p>IMO, it’s a sad state of grade inflation when a B+ average is considered low. But, give it your best shot.</p>

<p>yeah i kind of regret playing around sophomore and junior… i was a straight A student… slacked off two years and now i decided to go back on track realizing how important this is to my future… currently taking a rigorous schedule with All A’s and 2 B’s…</p>

<p>Agree…how can the mid 50% be at a 3.9 GPA, I mean there is no way that at least 50% have perfect A’s in all classes. (just goes to show the grade inflation with weights really changes GPAs) Thank goodness they do try to look at the GPA in the context of each school, what is offered and the weights applied, etc. Must be a very difficult job at that. I wish they would go to a standard grade point scale and apply no weights nation wide…would make it much more simple. Then they could see the level of class, Honors, AP, etc. to decide the quality of the base GPA. I am sure there are problems with this too, but it just seems crazy. Rant Complete.</p>

<p>To OP, it never hurts to try. We are simply guessing…wrong many times at that. I wish you the best and fingers crossed.</p>

<p>it makes sense to apply.doesn’t hurt to show interest/visit campus</p>

<p>I always say Apply…pick what you really want as a first choice. You never know the caliber of the incoming class and chances. I would look at your HS niviance site and see where you fall on the graph but realize that every individual brings something different to the table.</p>

<p>My S was hesitant to apply to Cornell because he felt it was too much of a stretch based on niavance …it turned out he was wrong.</p>

<p>@bowman1 Hi! Thank you so much for your reply. I was wondering where I could find this naviance site for my school?</p>

<p>bumpppppppppppp</p>

<p>In Fairfax county - it’s a link from Blackboard called “Family Connections”. Different districts call Naviance different things - but it’s basically whereever on your school website/Blackboard you can look at college stats, scattergrams etc.</p>

<p>Sound familiar?</p>

<p>I’m kinda in the same boat as OP, except my UW GPA as of now is 3.47 and my W GPA is 3.61, with an SAT score at 1190 (CR+M). I’ve taken 8 APs total, including the 5 i’m taking this year. While I did do three years of athletics, I lack extracurriculars otherwise. What are my chances for at least getting in University Studies?</p>

<p>@VAmomof4 thank you!</p>

<p>Oh yeah I forgot to mention I have changed from engineering to University Studies. How are my chances for University Studies? I also received a 31 on my ACT English score and I heard VT superscores ACT and SAT together. So my reading score (ACT) and math/writing score (SAT) would be way better.</p>