VT Engineering Question

<p>My daughter is interested in Biomedical Engineering (BME), unfortunately a undergraduate major not offered by VT. They do have a graduate school in BME which is in association with Wake Forrest. Based on what I read on the VT engineering site the school does offer many BME type courses in other degree programs (mechanics/materials/electrical). Some even have a BME tract that you can follow. Can anyone comment on whether these paths are adequate for graduate school in BME? Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) and UVA are the only schools in Virginia I've found that offer the degree for both have undergraduates. Thanks for any help!</p>

<p>I’m a current student and an email was sent around a few weeks ago from the Engineering Dean’s office asking students if they would be interested if VT added BME as a minor. I replied and said Y-E-S and if you send them an email, I’m sure it would help.</p>

<p>Email Dr. Watford and let her know you’re interested.</p>

<p>As far as the other degree programs go, yes, many of the departments do have concentrations in BME related fields. I imagine that within the next few years BME will become at least a minor here at Tech. Even with all the AP/IB credit your daughter may or may not be coming in with, it will still a few years before she can take those courses and VT’s not a bad engineering school to be at for those few years.</p>

<p>I’m not a grad student, but I’m pretty sure they would set anyone up nicely coming in with courses like that. If you compare having those concentrations to students coming solely from electrical or mechanical, anyone with them would stand out.</p>

<p>I know a lot of people interested in BME go into Materials Science and then specialize in biomaterials. There is a ton of undergrad research in the area going on here.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. With the new medical school at VT a BME program would be an excellent fit. I’ll have her e-mail Dr. Watford. Thanks again!</p>