VT or GMU?

<p>My main colleges that I'm currently considering are George Mason University and Virginia Tech. I'm pretty sure I want to major in International Relations/Studies but I'm not quite sure which college I would rather attend. On one hand, I think GMU might be better for this major since it is in the D.C. area and is a fairly international school and might be better suited for my major. I haven't visited the campus yet but I will be doing so within a few weeks. On the other hand, I've been to VT a few times for some summer camps and such and I really like the school, but I'm not quite sure that it's the best place to go for a major in International Studies. Does anyone know anything about VT's International Studies department? I'm really not sure which school I would prefer to attend at this point, but I'm leaning more toward VT just because I don't know too much about GMU. I'm also considering perhaps going to a local community college and transferring to W&M or UVa, my first and second choices, respectively, from which I was denied. Any input on this predicament?</p>

<p>Well, I could offer you a little insight into your predicament as I lived 5 minutes away from GMU my whole life and I currently go to Tech. When it comes to international relations at Tech, as I have taken a few courses (im a poli sci major) I would say the department is about average, not horrible but not spectacular. GMU, from what Ive heard may have a little better department in international relations (and is 20 minutes from D.C.) but then again take this with a grain of salt because Im not a student there. I can tell you that GMU has built a lot of new dorms over the past few years and the campus is getting larger. There are some differences to Tech as you will find out when visiting GMU. Blacksburg is rural and GMU is suburban. More people will be around campus at Tech because there really are not too many other alternatives, and at GMU, there are more commuters. Anyways you can't go wrong with either, just comes down to which feels better to you.</p>

<p>I do not attend GMU but my younger brother does. ( He transferred from NYU)</p>

<p>Some of his professors have included a current lawyer(intl. law class), a former or current(can’t recall) House of Representatives member, two former colonels who have actually used their intl. relations knowledge in a hands-on way, ex-CIA employee, and Department of Homeland Security managerial employee.</p>

<p>This just demonstrates a sample of some of the professors you might have if you do chose GMU over Tech. I’ve heard from a friend that Tech’s degree is more theoretically based meaning you’ll learn a lot of political philosophy. He likes the school thought because of the flourishing sports atmosphere but also stated like the previous post that the program was just “average”.</p>

<p>LMK if you have anymore questions so i can relay them to my bro. Good luck with your choice!</p>

<p>VT is an awesome school and on the short list for my son (engineering), however in your case I would make a strong recommendation for GMU. As mentioned your professors will tend to be a greater mix of industry professionals as well as career educators. The GMU campus has a much different feel but there is a lot going on for students. Students in your major will have endless opportunities to attend conferences in the DC area. The connections with your professors to attain internships will also be greater. I am speaking in gross generalizations, however these are things you will want to consider. I also lived 5min from GMU for many years and have watched the campus grow beautifully and gain national attention. This is a case where you really want to check out your professors and their backgrounds. Regarding your thought to go to community college and transfer to UVa or W&M, if you really want to attend those schools then that is a great route. Graduate with an approved associates degree with a 3.0 and you have an automatic acceptance (check the GPA requirements…it MAY vary for different VA universities, but most accept a 3.0). Good luck!!</p>

<p>I am a pretty blunt person. SO here it goes.</p>

<p>GMU does not carry the prestige in VA as TECH does. However, you want International Relations, and if that means you want to intern on the HILL in DC you need to go to GMU.</p>

<p>Now, let’s throw the twist. GMU campus is not a traditional campus, and if college football/basketball is your thing, you will hate GMU. Tech is known for their football entrance. If you hate small towns, than you will hate TECH compared to GMU.</p>

<p>I think the one thing most college applicants lose sight of when applying is that college is more than academia. It will be the 1st time that you will live 24/7 on your own and you need to put that into the equation. Many students transfer because the “college life” was the wrong fit and not due to the program offered.</p>

<p>There is nothing wrong at trying out a school and transferring, but if you go next weekend to Tech, be honest to yourself and try to envision if you can see living there. Remove the OOHS and AHHS, just walk the campus and ask yourself can you wait to see the 1st snowfall or the 1st football game? </p>

<p>From there go to GMU, and ask yourself would I rather be on the Tech campus and at their games and possibly getting an internship in the dept, or interning on the Hill for a semester, but not the same level of social life?</p>

<p>In the end I am saying academically you won’t go wrong with either, it is just a matter of your priorities. Both are great colleges, but have much different collegiate life and you need to decide which is the best fit for you.</p>

<p>OBTW you have UVA and W&M as your dream schools, both are located in a more rural area than GMU. Are you choosing them due to selectivity rate or do you like the town that the campuses are in? If it is the latter than Tech is a better fit than GMU.</p>