Waitlist

@sf94121: SLO will admit off the waitlist as spots open up so on a rolling basis and it could be before the May 1 SIR date depending upon how many accepted students enroll before then.

thanks for the many replies, @Gumbymom!

@Gumbymom , first many thanks for your help last year when you reliably predicted my son’s admission to UCI and he is happy there. You provide a tremendous service to anxious parents and students.

My friend’s son is waitlisted at SLO in the Industrial Packaging and Technology major within the Business School. There were only 121 applicants for 32 projected slots. Any insight into how many off waitlist or chances of waitlist admission.

@DelMarDad, IT isn’t a super selective major, with well over 50% who apply admitted (roughly 96 who applied will be accepted if the yield holds at 33%). Based on that, I’d guess his odds are good. That said, it is a fairly unique program. There aren’t a lot of analogues out there competing for students. Thus, the yield MIGHT be higher. There’s really no way to know. If things are like last year about 1/3 were admitted off of the waitlist. That means more than one third were or could have been accepted. Some declined to stay on the list that would have been accepted and some declined after being accepted. The only IT that reported in the Final Status thread had a MCA of 4615. If you have an idea of his it might help you gauge. Good luck!

@eyemgh , My son’s MCA is 4538 for Aerospace with Mechanical as alternate. He has been waitlisted for Aerospace. Any thoughts on his chances?
He has been accepted in Aerospace at Cal Poly Pomona and also University of Illinois Urbana Champaign (pretty expensive). CalPoly was his first choice and he is disappointed being waitlisted.

Also when would they consider alternate major?

@oaksdad, I hope he makes it, but i think it’s going to be a stretch. The only Aerospace on the Final Status thread last year was 4700. 4600 might be possible. I would think 4500 would be a long shot. That said, he is on the waitlist so he hasnt been rejected yet. He won’t get his second unfortunately because ME will be full fully subscribed. Fingers crossed. At this point though, it is just cream, as he has two other very solid options! Good luck!

Thanks @eyemgh. Appreciate the input. Yes, he has backups.

@eyemgh, thank you. I will pass the information along.

Could you predict/speculate on the ultimate admission chance for someone (in-state) on WL with MCA score of 4450 and intended major of biochem? Thank you!

@GWPPSLO, I can’t really even hazard a guess. There just isn’t enough data. You’re on the waitlist, so you have a chance. The lowest MCA reported last year though was 4700. Good luck.

Gumbymom and eyemgh. Thanks for your valuable insights and always willing to help. My son has a 4300 MCA without EC bonus because he works 8 hours a week. He has 3.76 UC weighted GpA, 1540 sat, major biochemistry, national Merit Scholar Finalist. Has been accepted to uiuc, Arizona, UOP 5-year PharmD, rejected from UC Davis and UCSB so far, waitlisted by SLO and Case Western. What would be his chance for SLO ? Thanks a bunch. Nervous Father

Ouch, sorry, 3.76 UC weighted Gpa. Sorry, 4 am typing

@OnPinsAndNeedles, there’s no way of knowing. Unfortunately, GPA is the biggest component of the MCA. The lowest MCA I saw reported last year was 4700. Fingers crossed.

Thank you !!

If the colleges need to know by May 1 where you intend to go, how does this apply to people who are on the waitlist? I got waitlisted at CPSlo which is my first choice but I got accepted to CsuLB and Monterey Bay.

@Frenchiemama: You enroll in one of the accepted schools (CSUMB or CSULB) by May 1. If you are accepted off the waitlist, then you have the option of withdrawing from the original school and accepting the waitlist (thus losing the enrollment deposit) or you can decline the waitlist.

I am an in-state transfer student from a community college and was placed on the waitlist 2 weeks ago for communications. 3.78 unweighted GPA which I know is lower end of the spectrum especially for such a competitive major. Hoping for the best and would love to know what anyone thinks of my chances or has heard of any comm majors being taken off waitlist. Fingers are crossed

Waitlisted
OSS
GPA: 3.98
ACT: 27
Major applied: Kinesiology
High school guidance counselor inquired about student’s placement/position on wait list.

Cal POly response: “Our wait list is not ranked, so you don’t have a position.”
What does that even mean?